Ancient Mediterranean (Huge)

timerover51 said:
Turnip, I have the same problem on two of my three computers that run Civ3Complete. The problem is that it is a REALLY BIG map, and puts a load on the video card and memory of your computer. It will not run, except super, super slow on my IBook, 32 meg video card and 512 megs RAM, or my son's Dell laptop, 64 meg video card and 1 Gig of RAM, but runs fine on my Power Mac with 576 megs of RAM and a Radeon 9000 video card with 128 megs of memory. Based on this, I would say that the problem is your video card. How much memory does it have, and how much memory does your computer have? I have no problem opening it up in the Civ3Conquests editor, which puts a much lower load on the video card on either laptop, so that I know that the problem is not a bug in the map. It is a very good map, and I am going to continue to help Aldaron on the resources. One other thing that I need to work on is that I figure that the map scale is abouot 10 miles per hex, which means that aircraft ranges need to have some major adjustments, with the same for naval movement, and to a lesser degree with land movement. Let me know if this helps with respect to the problem.

That would likely be it. My computer is a handful of years old, and when I bought it, the video card was the least of my concerns (I'm not an avid gamer in any sense of the word, really).
Sad...it looks like an amazing map, and I was looking forward to it. I guess we'll just have to wait until I grab a PowerBook. :( :)
BTW...how does CIV run on Macs?

Aldaron, would you please tell me how did you create a map with so huge parameters (435x150)? The Civ3ConquestsEdit map creator won't let me spread beyond 362 squares in any direction.

hello drago,
i don`t know what Aldaron used to create this really perfect map, but you could use the Map Tweaker programm http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=73990.

this program allows to enlarge maps beyond the editor restrictions.
but you should always keep in mind that too big maps are not really useful
since the number of cities is limited and the time between turns might get painfully long.

In fact, I used that program.

I know a very huge map is quite difficult to play with, since you MUST have a really potent pc to play but, I made that map for CIV II and wanted to use the new CivIII abilities...

does this map only work with patches or something? or can it run on original unmodded civ3? becuase i have original unmodded civ3, and i would really like to play this map. so......

oh, and by the way, how do i add new units to my game? i have thier files downloaded, but hwo do i get them in this map im making?

Top Bottom