1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Here's some Inca and a Carib warrior:

fairline Inca.png

2. Dadais

Dadais Warlord

Girls are screaming in fury, buying planes' ticket to the caribbean !

Fairline likes this.
  3. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

yeah he should probably put some underwear on, cheeky fella :)

4. Patine

Patine Deity

Fairline likes this.
  5. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Medieval Tibetans 560AD-1065AD

Attached Files:

6. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Wait, what hapenned to Patine, why is his name crossed out? Did he get banned again?

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  7. gapetit

gapetit King

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

We won't be seeing Patine again. He was apparently banned permanently from CFC for showing a distinct lack of grace on the Off Topic forum (OT).

He tended to lose control when arguing politics, and didn't know when to step away, despite many, many warnings from staff.

A cautionary tale for all of us to avoid the lunacy thunderdome that is OT.

9. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

I never read the OT threads, I prefer the art showcase to the silliness one.
    I dont actually care about peoples online opinions.
    Well, see you back in Apolyton, Patine. ;)
    And please keep out of politics, old friend.

10. gapetit

gapetit King

Thanks for the answer Curt, I didn't know about OT, I thought it was already the expulsion :mischief:, and it's a shame about Patine, he gave game in this forum.

11. gapetit

gapetit King

I totally agree, and I have a question: are you going to continue with the units from distant Asia? Because your chinese units reach the II AD, and with the contribution of the Tibetans I am very close to finishing one of my favorite scenarios.

12. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Koryo dynasty Koreans 918 AD - 1392 AD
    Hwarang cataphract, standing force (Kwanggun) and militia.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Fairline, gapetit and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  13. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I've found there are three archetypes of Civ modders that dip their toes into OT: the Gary Childress, who can articulate rationally; the Broken_Erika, who exploit it to meme... and the Patine, who seemed to use it as a vent for his Hyde side. :undecide:

14. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

He had the extreme misfortune of not being able to realize he was being just as antagonizing as many while lacking a sob story shield to protect him.

A real shame to lose anyone who frequents the civ2 forums but such is life I guess.

15. techumseh

techumseh Emperor SLeague Staff

Tell us more.

16. gapetit

gapetit King

Gok Blue: first Turk empire by Prometeus of AD 546 to AD 630.

Skytians are the Turks… as well as Avars. …(Turks) are the only barbarians that mantain a battle order, and they proved to be brave and bold in battle many times.”
    – Pseudo-Mauritius, Strategikon

With Fairline's units of nomadic peoples, I am only lacking in contemporary Chinese. Many years ago it was one of the most difficult scenarios for me. It is very fast, with aggressive peoples and you have little time, so you cannot be conservative or just defend yourself. What I have clear is that I want to finish it (along with another by the same author: Zhan Guo - Quest for Tian Xia, which I have thanks to Fairline and Tanelorn practically all the units), although some of the units are not exactly from the time.
    I have three other medieval scenarios very advanced in their graphic conversion and I am waiting for the Fairline review to upload the final version of The Four Sea Republics by Paul Hanti, which will undoubtedly be to your liking and those who enjoy seemingly simple scenarios, but actually complex, with historical and exciting developments. For me only surpassed by Death and Resurrection of an Empire of Mathias Köster, Mamluks of Heresson and Mongols of Harlan Thompson.

17. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Then you will find these useful:
    They represent southern dynasties from the establishment of Eastern Chin in 317 AD until the Sui conquest of the south, 589 AD; and the Northern Wei dynasty founded in 386 which unified north China, conquering the other "barbarian" kingdoms until the Sui seized power in the north in 581.
    All cataphract cavalry - which were introduced after the three kingdoms era, under northern influence- rode armoured horses, but some had unprotected arms and lower legs as pictured. Northern "pug-nosed" armored archers represent a particular ethnic type /military unit. Youxia was a type of Chinese warrior "wandering vigilante". Armoured elephants were used only once by Liang against the Western Wei, and I found no such depictions.
    The horse archers are various northern nomads, Hsien-pi and such- not native Han.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Fairline, Thorvald of Lym and gapetit like this.
  18. gapetit

gapetit King

They are useful and perfect for the scenario, Tanelorn. Thanks a lot.

19. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

The Sui dynasty was founded in northenn China in 581 AD and had reunited the whole counfty by 589. After a disastrous war with Koguryo Korea and several rebellions, the new T’ang dynasty united China by 623 and extended Chinese frontiers further than ever before.
    Sui and early T’ang armies were based on the Fu-ping militia conscription system.
    T'ang armies in the steppes were composed entirely of cavalry, mostly Turkish auxiliaries. T'ang armies in Central Asia had all their infantry mounted. Round shields were adopted under central asian influence. T’ang infantry were divided into pu-ping "marching infantry" and pu-she “foot archers". Some Sui cavalry carried lance, others sword and shield. Under the T’ang, most heavy cavalry were armed in Turkish style with lamellar armour, lance and bow. The use of horse armor declined under the T'ang, restricred to few elite units. Mounted crossbowmen were re-introduced by the T'ang. Mo-ho alies are the Manchurian tribes called Malgal by the Koreans. Didn't include any "cord and plaque" armor, its a wip.
    The T'ang conquered the Eastern Gokturks in 630 and the Western Gokturks in 657.
    The battle of Talas defeat against the Abbasid Caliphate and its ally, the Tibetan Empire in 751 marked the end of the Tang westward expansion. The T'ang were rocked by the great rebellion of An Lu-shan in 755 AD, and never fully recovered.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Fairline, Thorvald of Lym and gapetit like this.
  20. gapetit

gapetit King

I had already included your first units, but I have to admit that I like the ones from the north better, and I think they adapt more historically to the scenario Units_gokblue.png .

Tanelorn likes this.