1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. gapetit

gapetit King

A more than optimal result (incredible I would say) ... although there are two units, the ones with a sword that seem smaller than the rest, although in height I see that the eyes are at the same height as others ... so is it an optical question?
    Units_gokblue.png

2. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

They are crouching forward :D.
    Or southern Han :mischief:.
    Anyway, back to the Yantze, a century after the elimination of the Gokturk Khanate.

So, following the An-Lu-shan revolt, jiedushi military governors became effectively independent. Again weakened by Huang Ch'ao's revolt in 875, the T'ang dissolved and in 907 were replaced by the "Five Dynasties" (and ten kingdoms) that successively ruled North China: Later Liang (907–923) who overthrew the Tang. Three sinicized Satuo Turk dynasties: Later Tang (923–937), Later Jìn (936–947) and Later Han (947-951). Their Northern Han remnant held out until 979 when Song dynasty conquered it, reclaiming all of the former Tang territory.
    The Later Zhou was the last of the five dynasties ruling from 951 to 960 when Zhao Kuangyin usurped the throne and founded his Song Dynasty, going on to reunite most of China by 979. Cavalry declined as the T'ang lost the horse-breeding areas of the northern frontier, and became dependent on tribal allied cavalry - first Uighurs, then Shatuo Turks.
    Otherwise, weapons and equipment changed little.
    Back since the Northern and Southern dynasties period, a style of armour called "cord and plaque" had become popular. Usually you will find much more ornate examples, with all sorts of embelishments. The elusive mountain armor of the Tang is quite enigmatic. Only the Southern T'ang (in the South 937 AD - 975 AD) fielded two-handed swordsmen guards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Fairline, JPetroski, Dadais and 2 others like this.
  3. gapetit

gapetit King

Small changes remain (make the explorer unit less static or enlarge the spy a bit), but thanks to Fairline and Tanelorn, I already have the units complete. If there are no problems, I hope to go up on scenario conversion very soon. Thanks and regards
    Units_gokblue.png

Fairline, Torbk and Tanelorn like this.
  4. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

The Han dynasty ruled China from their victory in the civil wars after the fall of tyranical Ch'in, until Tung Cho seized power at court. There was also the short interlude of Wang Mang's rule circa 9-23 AD. All-cavalry forces, usually depending on tribal auxiliaries (such as the Ch'iang Tibetans, Hsiung-nu Huns and Hsien-pi proto-Mongols) were used in the steppes from about 150 BC. Infantry seem to have been of variable quality; some were well-equipped and competent, others were conscripted from convicts or vagabonds. The Han suffered several major peasant rebellions, notably the Red Eyebrows in 17-27 AD and the Yellow Turbans from 184 AD.
    P.S. @#&*! horsethieves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  5. gapetit

gapetit King

Congratulations Tanelorn, you have obtained some great quality units :goodjob:

Tanelorn likes this.
  6. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Splendid :goodjob:

7. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Thanks @Fairline :)
    After the Han dynasty lost real power, China was dominated by rival warlords. The survivors were Cao Cao, who deposed the last puppet Han emperor and proclaimed the kingdom of Wei in North China in 220 AD; Sun Ch'uan, king of Wu in the S.E.; and Liu Pei, king of Shu Han in the S.W. This "Three Kingdom" period saw Wei conquer Shu Han in 263; Ssu-ma Yen seized power and proclaimed the Ts'in (Jin) dynasty in 266, and conquered Wu in 280. This "Western Ts'in" dynasty broke up in civil wars and after 304 barbarian peoples set up their own kingdoms in N. China, leaving Jin survivors to set up a new "Eastern Jin" regime in the South. Most cavalry carried lances; some had bows, whether as well or instead of is unclear. Horse-armour is occasionally mentioned, but cataphract tactics were not copied from the nomads until after the loss of the North. Close-fighting infantry were mostly spearmen, but halberds are mentioned in the sources and shown in paintings. Spear-throwers are based on tomb-figurines, some armoured, throwing short spears. Some dare-to-die volunteers were given "double armour", others stripped their armour off to charge faster. Wu and Shu Han would have far fewer horse archers and no access to nomadic cavalry allies. Double handed swords would be a rare sight by this point.
    • Wei considered itself the rightful successor of Han (Emperor Xian of Han ceded the throne to Cao Pi, heir of Cao Cao). As the representative color of Han was red (for the Virtue of Fire), the color of Wei should be yellow for the Virtue of Earth, which is “generated” by Fire.
    • Wu also considered itself to have taken over the fallen throne of Han . So yellow for Earth as well.
    • Han, the official name of what’s commonly referred to as Shu considered itself Han- the founding emperor, Liu Bei, was from a distant branch of Han’s imperial house of Liu. Hence it mostly likely used Han’s red for Fire.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Torbk, Fairline, gapetit and 3 others like this.
  8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

9. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

"Yes, and you call it a romance, despite the fact it is obviously a battle royale."

Tanelorn and gapetit like this.
  10. techumseh

techumseh Emperor SLeague Staff

You are amassing a splendid collection of ancient Chinese units. There used to be a couple of old FW scenarios of ancient China. One of the 3 Kingdoms and another, more recent, of the Warring States. I don't know if they are among the ones that Gapetit has converted, but these would do superbly.

11. gapetit

gapetit King

With the new Tanelorn units, due to their variety, quantity and quality, I did not have time to look for scenarios to include them. There is indeed a scenario of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, which I had never played or modified ... and then I saw why: it is very easy to include the units, but without still seeing the size of the map or other questions of the scenario, this one has a big problem: it has no events. And this does not make the conversion attractive or that the number of units that we now have can be used. So @techumseh, I usually create them in these cases, but if I can count on you, who undoubtedly have much more knowledge for it, do you dare to do them?

12. techumseh

techumseh Emperor SLeague Staff

I've had an ancient or medieval Chinese scenario in my long-term plans for a long time. These wonderful units may move that up the list for me, but first I have other projects I want to finish, including learning Lua and remedying my woeful lack of knowledge of Chinese history.

gapetit likes this.
  13. gapetit

gapetit King

It's good to hear that you're interested in the topic. I am going to finish the conversion if the structure of the scenario is not too simple, and I will play it to see what are the possibilities of including units and perhaps generate a basic event to avoid that victory is too easy ... and if all that is finish, you are encouraged to improve it or create a new one. I recommend a book: Romance of the three kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong (It is from the 14th century, so it is not copyrighted and can be easily obtained as an ebook), which has a novel structure; and a film: The Battle of the Red Cliff by John Woo, which recreates one of the most decisive battles, and where the potentialities of two of the kingdoms appear, with spies, heroes and more. I hope the story hooks you.

14. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

@CurtSibling @Thorvald of Lym @techumseh @gapetit thanks guys.
    Anyway back to the mysterious orient:
    Korean armies from the beginning of the Yi dynasty until the end of the Japanese invasion under
    Hideyoshi, which prompted military reforms and an increased use of handguns.
    The core of the armed forces were professional soldiers, the cavalry and navy being best. 16th century cavalry are depicted with bow plus a weapon wielded in both hands, either a halberd, a
    lance or a flail, but no horse barding. Koreans were renowned for their skill with the bow and the Japanese found that Korean archers outshot their own. They were also impressed by the Korean use of long spears. Nevertheless, the infantry were less impressive than the cavalry, and the militia, although armed with the same spears, performed poorly. The skirmishers were a mixture of men withsword and shield, others with crossbow or grenades, and latterly a few handguns. Korean armies of the period were well equipped with cannons and rockets, though the former were very small. The principal Korean innovation of those wars was the turtle ship, a covered rowing vessel armed with cannon and possibly a bow flame-thrower, which wrecked the Japanese fleet. The Koreans managed to kick the Samurai's teeth in twice (though at a terrible cost) at the height of their power. The losses suffered by both sides led to Hideoyosi's loyalists being eliminated at Sekigahara by Tokugawa in 1600 and (at least partially) the Ming Chinese allies of the Koreans being overthrown by the Manchu Qing dynasty from 1618 onwards.
    New take on the sword and shield dude.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Dadais, Torbk, tootall_2012 and 4 others like this.
  15. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Ming dynasty Chinese troops at the time of the Samurai invasions of Korea, then a Chinese tributary state. The sprite sheet covers the Ming from the rise to power of Chu Yuan-chang, who became the first Ming emperor in 1368 (at the expense of the Mongol Yuan dynasty), until the Korean war. The regular Chinese troops deteriorated after the 1420s. The Ming were especially strong at sea and between 1405 and 1433 intervened militarily in Java, Sumatra and Ceylon and sent an expedition to Arabia and Africa under admiral Zheng He. More Ming troops (i.e. heavy and artillery) are included in Fairline's unit set for Harlan Thompson's Mongols.

The swordsman gives me one piece luffy vibes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Thorvald of Lym, gapetit and Dadais like this.
  16. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

And some heavies.

Attached Files:

Thorvald of Lym and gapetit like this.
  17. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Spritedump

Attached Files:

18. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Illyrians. Generally, disk caps were more common earlier and towards the north, body armor very rare and round shields more common towards the south. Syracusan troops and arms were supplied by Dionysius I for a campaign against Epeiros in 385 BC.

-edit- Apparently chest disks were also in use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021