Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

I've compiled and updated my Roman units. Probably a few too many of them, but meh here they are:

fairline Rome 2022.png

Last edited:
Oh man.... Must... Resist... Urge... To... Start... New.... Scenario.... Until... I... Finish... Current... Slate!!!! GORGEOUS FAIRLINE. GORGEOUS.

Some late Byzantine light infantry.

Tzangra, the Byzantine crossbow, reappeared after the 10th century. Besides an enigmatic description by Maurice in the 600s, only mounted toxobalistrai were used before the crusades.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Byzantine Light Infantry.png
    Tanelorn Byzantine Light Infantry.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Tanelorn Byzantine crossbow.png
    Tanelorn Byzantine crossbow.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Kievan Rus 860-1054. This starts with Askold and Dir's raid on Constantinople in 860 and ends with the break-up of the Kievan state into competing principalities. Mounted and foot Druzhina retainers, Polk town spearmen, Polk town archers. Until 1043, the Druzhina or bodyguard were mainly recruited from Varangians - that is, Scandinavian Vikings.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Kievan Rus 860-1054.png
    Tanelorn Kievan Rus 860-1054.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Kievan Rus 860-1054. This starts with Askold and Dir's raid on Constantinople in 860 and ends with the break-up of the Kievan state into competing principalities. Mounted and foot Druzhina retainers, Polk town spearmen, Polk town archers. Until 1043, the Druzhina or bodyguard were mainly recruited from Varangians - that is, Scandinavian Vikings.

Wow! My favorite era, the so-called "Kievan Rus". Always dreamed of such a scenario. In our Soviet times, there were countless films for children from this era (it can be said that almost 70-80% of films for children were shot in this setting). Thanks for this design!

Ivan Ilyin and his ilk would have us believe Russia was genetically destined for despotism, but there was a comment on Overly Sarcastic Productions' History of Ukraine that alludes to an alternate history where Novgorod, not Moscow, was the frontrunner, and how much differently the empire would have evolved under the auspices of a merchant republic. I played Moscow back in the day, and by its title you can tell it's a narrow focus; lately I've been pondering how that period could be portrayed in a more open-ended scenario, like a Medieval version of Civ4's Broken Star.

Ivan Ilyin and his ilk would have us believe Russia was genetically destined for despotism
Except that, in the days of the 'Rus, there were no separate and distinct Russians and Ukrainians (or Belarussias, or the tiny minority in Southwest Ukraine with an endangered language - the Rusyns), there were just the Old East Slavs. If Russians are, "generically destined for despotism," than how can we possibly expect a future of democracy and human rights out of Ukraine, by that logic? :mischief:

Rule #1 of Fascism: Violently defenestrate logical coherence. ;)

Rule #1 of Fascism: Violently defenestrate logical coherence. ;)
I think that's Rule #2. #1 always seems to have a gripe that starts with some degree of legitimacy, but it blown and snowballed way out of proportion.

@Buck2005 Hey, thanks. I think I must have seen some of these old soviet films too in the 90s, blast from the past.

People watch children's films three times in their lives: the first time in their own childhood, the second time with their children, and the third time with their grandchildren. If you're lucky, you can watch it for the fourth time, with great-grandchildren.

Here is another Druzhina warrior, now with a Byzantine style kite shield as well as Norse bearded axe and Gjermundbu style helmet. I also enjoy sarcastic productions, definitely worth to watch. Invicta has a nice piece on the historical unit.
I like to draw stuff and I try to keep my opinions to myself. I don't know what you are all talking about and I do not care that much about politics on my free time, to be honest.
A rise of Novgorod scenario would be cool, I remember Alex Morr/ Alex the Magnificent had made such a scenario back in the old days, with his unique style of graphics. He had all his scenarios on his own website, I haven't seen it for years.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Druzhina Kite Shield.png
    Tanelorn Druzhina Kite Shield.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 729
Top Bottom