Ancient Units Project Idea

COAtlantis1745

Unit Sounds Engineer
I am not sure if this question has ever been posed before here at the Forum, but I thought I would give it a shot. More than a few of are familiar with this site:

http://www.dbaol.com/armies.htm

As you can see, this site has a wonderful and downright handy ancient and medieval armies list, including main, auxiliary and supportive units.

My question is this: Why not simply begin at the top of this Armies list and begin the creative process one consecutive unit at a time? This way, we can avoid "pulling favorites" so to speak and begin to flesh out Civ unit armies from the earliest beginnings right on through to tomorrow. Beginning at 8am sharp, 4000 B.C., IMHO is the way to go here for the unit creation process.

Besides, I'm more than anxious to help you all develop new unit action sounds for each one. :D

What do you all think? If we can agree to this, I recommend for the first unit request the Summerian/Akkadian Heavy Chariot (just in time for the new Conquests civ of the same name)

Again, let's start at the beginning and work our way down eh?

Sounds like a gargantuan undertaking, but seeing how I'm utterly incompetent in helping out, I have no problems with saying "Yes, please do this! Please make a unit for every one of those blinking images!!!!" ;)

I would love a donkey chariot! :lol:

I completely support your idea, though I won't be of any use !!! Great initiative, I hope I'll make a good use of this work someday... ;)

It would have to be a join effort from all the brilliant unit creators on the forums...I could help with civilopedia entries n such like....

Yep, this is what I am talking about. We all can work together to create these things, with each of us taking on a part of the process then things will go so much more smoothly.

I AM surprised there hasn't been more than a few responses to this idea; a little bewildering. :confused:

Originally posted by COAtlantis1745
I AM surprised there hasn't been more than a few responses to this idea; a little bewildering. :confused:
I guess, this may change, if you could show some nice (ore better :D) unit previews. ;)

Originally posted by Arne
I guess, this may change, if you could show some nice (ore better :D) unit previews. ;)

But Arne, the point of this thread is that there AREN'T any units yet to show previews of. Referring back to the link I provided above, you can see that this Armies list would make for an excellant 'drawing board' for creating new units. You simply begin at the top of the list and work your way down to the late middle ages.

Now I suppose we can provide suggested images as source material for each of the units.

Maybe we should ask kinboat to pop his head in here...

The intent of this Unit Project should be to make high quality units that can be made available at our Unit Library (Speaking of which, has a replacement been named for Lab Monkey?).

Now we have a few damn good unit creators. Kinboat is included along with Kryten, embryodead, kindred, utahjazz to name a few. Hopefully we CAN attract their attentions hehe.

We would then require the artistic services of Pedia Icon artists, Unit32 filers, and the like.

Vuldacon and I can rig up unit action sounds.

So you can see, we all can have a role to play in all of this. :)

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
Uhh, yeah, I was made replacement, but I've been pretty busy lately... don't worry. It'll get done. :)

Excellant news Dom Pedro! I'm pleased to hear this vital position has been filled. I was about to volunteer myself, hehe. I wonder how many card catalog cupboards we'll need for all of those new units. . . .

Congratulations to our new Unit Librarian! :beer:

Top Bottom