Angry citizens don't consume food when producing workers or settlers

I don't see a huge problem. In civ5 a city won't starve when building a settler despite food shortage from working only mines.

I didn't know it (thanks). I will definitely look at exploiting it however I suspect it would have fairly niche advantages for 2 reasons:

1) Angry citizens are rare usually
2) If settlers/workers are useful, they should already be being built.

However thinking out loud, I sometimes build workers to prevent growth into angry citizens so maybe I am doing this prematurely, in that I can allow growth to disorder then build workers (or perhaps settlers).

I'm really interested in other (better) player's thoughts on this. When this knowledge can be exploited. I am somewhat lazy when analyzing game mechanics and prefer to just wing it. I enjoy and learn a lot from the analysis you guys bring.

In the situation I described of building worker to prevent growth to disorder vs growing to disorder then building worker. Does the angry citizen cost maintenance? Is it a cost of maintenance vs availability for whipping decision?

Thanks in advance :)

This mechanic is then usefull, when you want to 3pop-whip a Settler and your city is unhappy at size 6. You can let the city grow into Unhappiness, produce the Settler, whip, city happy again 'til next cycle.

Apart from that, I know of no useful way to exploit that mechanic.

Thanks for the reply Seraiel. The 3-pop Settler whip when unhappy at size 6 is a feasible situation.

I didn't know this bit of knowledge. I suppose in this situation I was building Settler until ready for a 3 pop whip, switching to something else to grow to 6 then whipping the Settler which apparently was unnecessary micro?

Does that extra unhappy citizen whilst building the settler cost maintenance though?

I am embarrassed to admit I have only just started trying to really understand the maintenance mechanics.

In this situation I usually use "avoid growth" button (when I build anything before settler), so food bar is full (at size 5)... so when I build Settler, 1 turn before I will whip I just turn "avoid growth" off, city grows to size 6 (without building anything else), but now I can whip so city actually don't finish turn at size 6, so no extra maintence :D

So really there is no use to this mechanic? The angry citizen still does nothing but cost maintenance so its still better to not have it until required for whipping, which can be achieved with micro and/or the avoid growth button.

Angry citizens can be sacrificed for production since they're not used in cities if you adopt slavery.. However, angry citizens shouldn't be allowed to grow so make scientists instead to consume the spare food that grow angry unwanted citizens.

Top Bottom