How do new citizens work ?

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
I was wondering (for another post), how new citizens work ?

When they appear, do they provide yields the same turn they appear, and if so, in what order the yields computation is done ? Because for them to appear and taking account of what they just produced, you need to compute the food first, and then the other ones. But if the new citizens only produces food, how that is calculated since the food processing already have been done ? Do citizens have a hidden number associated to each if them, so the game knows who to food calculate again ? Or does it do something like (total food after new citizen apparition) - (total food before new citizen apparition) = food produced by the new citizen (unmarked) ?

Don't know if I've been clear, but thx.

Wow, does it really matter? But I would guess that they only provide yields on the next turn, anything else would seem to be a programming nightmare, like you outline yourself. But I'm definitely not a min/max'er enough to ever test it.

Food is calculated first
Then population grows or shrinks.
Then the new citizen is assigned a tile
Then yields are calculated (except food)

If you have food focused city, you could be wasting yields on the first turn since you wont gain the extra food for that tile.

Apologies, seems this was only applicable to Civ 5, it was a marginal benefit but was living rent free in my mind.

Last edited:
Wow, does it really matter?
Yeah for personnal reasons. Anyway it can still be useful to know how to assign best our citizens and on what put the default.
Food is calculated first
Then population grows or shrinks.
Then the new citizen is assigned a tile
Then yields are calculated (except food)

If you have food focused city, you could be wasting yields on the first turn since you wont gain the extra food for that tile.
Are you absolutely sure of this ? How do you know, did you test it ? I know it may be true in Civ5. Thx btw.

Seems you are right, I must have Civ 5 on mind. I'll retract my comment above.

testing done on the Age of Abundance map

Exhibit 1. all tiles locked, Food focus, original production is 9.4 (9+0.4amenities), starting 74 production. Keeping food focus, next turn 83 production (city uses the new 3 food tile)
Exhibit 2. production focus, loaded previous last turn, after ending turn production is 83, new daily production is 11.5 per turn using the 2:2 deer tile

1700449498298.png

1700449734835.png

I've spent quite a while on the Civ3 forums, so the turn mechanics that @Draco84 quoted for Civ5 sound very familiar from that game also. That mechanic also sounds familiar from when I played/read about Civ4. I don't remember a specific guide over in the Civ6 Strategy and Tips forum that discusses this.

did you ever think that they also deserve the weekend off ? do you ever give them vacations? why are you only interested in how they work and not how they are?
They have their weekends and vacations included, it's in the contract. :deal:

They have their weekends and vacations included, it's in the contract. :deal:
- Since even in the most modern Eras of the game, weekends and vacations only account for a fraction of the turn . . .

Seems you are right, I must have Civ 5 on mind. I'll retract my comment above.

testing done on the Age of Abundance map

Exhibit 1. all tiles locked, Food focus, original production is 9.4 (9+0.4amenities), starting 74 production. Keeping food focus, next turn 83 production (city uses the new 3 food tile)
Exhibit 2. production focus, loaded previous last turn, after ending turn production is 83, new daily production is 11.5 per turn using the 2:2 deer tile

View attachment 677793

View attachment 677794
Well, I tried to figure out how many more food you need for each citizen born, but couldn't catch it quite : in one situation, it seems that the new citizen food output was counted, in another one it's trickier. Because you just have the food missing for growth in the detailed city view, not the actual total food needed. (the total "food basket") You just can at best guess was it is, and while I've seen that for the second pop, you need 15 food (the only case where food missing is equal to food basket), it seems that you need around 25 food for the third one, but I couldn't be sure.

Top Bottom