Another example of what's wrong with the UN

Isn't that how the world made Rhodesia change? And Boeristan to its South?
I will be honest, I know nothing about Rhodesia so I can't comment on that. As far as South Africa goes, they were not ruled by a sordid little dictator and the classes who had the political power were decidedly western in outlook. Zimbabwe has neither of those advantages.
Oh, because Mugabe being appointed to this glorified tourism board will stop all the terrible things he does to make that country's millions live in poverty and misery while not gaining liberty nor democracy.
So the solution instead is to ensure that the people suffer under a brutal dictator rather than tossing him a meaningless bone so that he will do something?

So, you basically say... whatever, let them have their dickhead ruler who took their nation FROM the global economy and made it one of the worst places on the planet. Good thinking.
Then force the country open with diplomacy and incentives.

For instance the fact its helpless to stop the Syria slaughter because its a zone of Russian interest or its powerlessness to really do anything in the Israel-Palestine zone because its a US interest.
For the record, Russia has withdrawn its support from Syria in the SC and GA.

For the record, Russia has withdrawn its support from Syria in the SC and GA.
Words are cheap, its easy to say that but lets see how they actually act when the SC puts up an aggressive resolution to the vote.

Well, on Sunday Russia joined in with the rest of the SC in a condemnation of the role of the Syrian government in the massacre of civilians.

Oh, because Mugabe being appointed to this glorified tourism board will stop all the terrible things he does to make that country's millions live in poverty and misery while not gaining liberty nor democracy.
It's not an appointment. it is a vote. And Mugabe hasn't been elected yet, not that it matters one bit.

Just look at who has headed up this glorified tourist agency so far:

1975–1985 — Robert Lonati (France)
1986–1989 — Willibald Pahr (Austria)
1990–1996 — Antonio Enriquez Savignac (Mexico)
1998–2009 — Francesco Frangialli (France)
2010–present — Taleb Rifai (Jordan)[10]
Has anybody ever heard of any of these people? Wonder why? Big whoop even if he is elected.

There are far more pressing matters than what figurehead is picked to compile tourist info.

Well, on Sunday Russia joined in with the rest of the SC in a condemnation of the role of the Syrian government in the massacre of civilians.
A verbal condemnation means very little if they veto the first attempt to actually do something. I mean the US condemned Israel's settlement plan, but is it a REAL condemnation if you refuse to let anyone back it up?

I like how this thread is carrying on as though Ajidica and Grafito didn't point out the entire story was completely false.

Link to video.

I completely agree with you, but I have the feeling Syria has passed the point of no return for Russian support. They went past the "We might do this level of oppression on our own dissenters if they get uppity" level a while ago.

I completely agree with you, but I have the feeling Syria has passed the point of no return for Russian support. They went past the "We might do this level of oppression on our own dissenters if they get uppity" level a while ago.
I dont really disagree, there is always that magic line between a great power and its puppet where eventually they simply cant support you no matter how advantageous the relationship was. We can hope children being knifed to death is truly Russia's line

you keep saying he was appointed to this board .... follow the links in the OP(yours??)
he was not appointed he was asked to support (along with other leaders) the aims as set out in an open letter...

have you even read and found out what your own OP article says... it would appear not
http://leadersfortourism.unwto.org/en

IF he accepts the conditions it will actually make it easier for outsiders to go to his country and report on what is going on there
In turn, Heads of State and Government will accept this letter in acknowledgement of the relevance of travel and tourism in facing today’s global challenges

he was not made a leader.... he is a leader weather you like that or not

When did the tourism industry become so political? The fact that a country is violating the rights of its citizens has never been a problem for tourists until now.

It certainly didn't stop many from visiting Greece when it was ruled by a military junta, never mind Spain and Brazil.

I can get liking the UN but I really dont see how you can defend putting crackpot dictators in any positions of authority, especially crackpots who cant manage finances.

On the UN as a whole its a mixed bag, plenty of good but the fact that its helpless in any situation that involves a great power or nation that is allied to a great power sort of hampers its usefulness in many areas. For instance the fact its helpless to stop the Syria slaughter because its a zone of Russian interest or its powerlessness to really do anything in the Israel-Palestine zone because its a US interest.

What many people forget is that the UN does not exist as a tool for the US government to use to get what it wants in the world. Rather it is a forum for all nations to negotiate and try to get each of their interests. So with 200 odd competing interests, one country can't expect to always get what it wants. Not even the US.

I miss I'm Cleo! :(

The UN doesn't have the mandate that some people think it does, it's chronically underfunded, and it's politically kneecapped by partisans.

Want to help improve the UN? Take some International Law courses! They're free, online, via podcast on iTunes. Once you know more about the politics and the bureaucracy, you can help move the conversation forwards.

The UN is one of the ways in which the world will thrive through the 20th and 21st century. People who try to ruin it aren't helping.

he was not made a leader.... he is a leader weather you like that or not
So was Hitler, Stalin, etc... I don't like it, and we should not be engaging him in anything, in this "civilized" world of ours, except perhaps warfare.
That's great you're cool with a mass murdering dictator and all, I'm not coll with it.

What many people forget is that the UN does not exist as a tool for the US government to use to get what it wants in the world. Rather it is a forum for all nations to negotiate and try to get each of their interests. So with 200 odd competing interests, one country can't expect to always get what it wants. Not even the US.
And, what percentage of those countries are dictatorships?

It's not so much the USA not getting it's way all the time, which, with the permanent security council seat it at least never has things go against it...
It's this whole piece of crap countries completely outnumbering reasonable countries, and therefore dominating a lot of the processes, that gets people upset.

And to say trying to ruin it (not you, EM said this)... how about fixing it?
Can we bring attention to the crap like this without ruining it in an attempt to make it a worthwhile use of money?

It's underfunded? Fine, cut the malarky out. Or, would that cause some huge problem?

Well, the UN was specifically designed to be non-interventionist internally. It's primary tool was to be diplomacy. As you know by now, the OP's article is awfully misleading. The UN's mandate, wrt Mugabe, has to be primarily diplomatic. Part of the process is involving his advisors in international efforts - ideally, it allows us to 'infect' them with our morals and standards.

It's this whole piece of crap countries completely outnumbering reasonable countries,
America's recent behavior in the UN is considered reasonable?:huh:

Thanks for not responding to the question.

Top Bottom