1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Answered: How to unload units from an army in PTW!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kevo, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTheil3508

MTheil3508 Chieftain

It would be OK if we could upgrade units, but we can't upgrade calvery to tanks. An army full of Guerillas is overpowered by an army of mech infantry. I beleive replacing units is a good idea.

2. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

I agree. Armies should not be unloadable, and these two bugs should be fixed. HOWEVER, I think armies should be upgradable. If a unit is upgraded, I think of it as the same group of people, just newer weapons, armor, etc. I agree with your idea of new units not being able to replace old units in an army, but I can't think of one reason why units in armies shouldn't be allowed to upgrade.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read the entire thread, and just now I see that Bossman said the exact same thing. :o

3. Napoleon Hitler

Napoleon Hitler Ruler of Europe

I don't think they should change it. You should be able to revamp an army with new units. I hate it when I have an army of Immortals running around with tanks.

4. Yaniv

Yaniv Chieftain

How many people would agree with me that Firaxis would save them a whole wad of trouble by just letting people unload armies?

5. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

I agree that it would save them, but trouble? You think that people would voice their fury over the phone about not being abel to unload units from an army?

Don't fix it. But to make it fair, in tournaments and contests it should be disallowed. But to disallow the single player to not be able to unload units is absurd. I had to completely disband armies if I want to load in different units.

And in MP and PBEM things, it should be up to the players to say whether it should be allowed or disallowed.

Just in this one game, I filled up all my armies with modern armor. Then I read a thread, and someone mentioned that MAs and MIs are the best combo. Now I'm pissed that I can't unload units (running 1.29) and have to disband my nine armies to get the right combo.

6. Architekt

Architekt Chieftain

Hear hear...I second that armies should be unloadable.... however I thin k they should make it a normal feature instead of of having to resort to unloading onto a ship

7. MTheil3508

MTheil3508 Chieftain

I agree. Make it easier to unload. Making it easier to unload will not increase war. That is like telling me that guns create gangs. It makes wars more interesting when the other side has an army that is equal to yours.

They should end having medieval armies in modern times (unless you want one) without having to go to drastic measures to unload it.

8. soccerrules

soccerrules Chieftain

I think armies should be able to be unloaded and Firaxis should "fix" the "bug", but unloading armies be put as a regular function.

9. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

:lol: Well, not that I think you or bossman copied, but you still didn't read the whole thread (I said this in post #34). :p

10. Sid

Sid Observer and Participant

Whatever.

Everyone who's played must have thought it incongruous that an army cannot consist of the most modern units.

And: why can't Workers, Artillery and Great Leaders fly?

11. Freddybear

Freddybear Chieftain

I tried the "load to a Caravel" trick and unloaded three Knights from an Army. The first two unloaded and upgraded to Cavalry, the third one would crash the game out ("Close or Debug" window). Also, the Army wasn't exactly empty, it still showed a Knight icon.

12. grand titan

grand titan Chieftain

Put me in the "Leave the feature in" catagory.

13. Globetrotter

Globetrotter ...wherever i may roam...

I believe we should make a vote, better than re-reading all the thread in order to get the statistics

Units in an army should be upgradable and promoted, as it is normal that they receive new weapons etc.
    As for unloading it, someone mentioned the "Esprit de Groupe"
    I totally agree.

14. Gen

Gen Chieftain

I tried the Go To trick and after upgrading the first unloaded Tank the game crashed also. So both are obviously bugs not fixed in time for PTW 1.14f.
    On topic, I don't really care if my armies are unloadable or even upgradeable. Sure, swordsmen attacking Mech Inf. look a bit silly... How to keep the game balance safe and allow "recycling" of an outdated army? My idea is to let disband units inside army (thus making free space for new ones) but without getting shield bonus. This will make upgrading armies hard enough.

15. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

I'm among the minority that think they should close this bug and make armies un-unloadable ;) and un-upgradable.

It would of course be nice to always have armies that can easily wreck havoc, but what's the strategy in that? You make the game easier by taking away a strategic problem: When and how do you want to fill and use an army.

Some people keeps the army empty until tanks (some even until MI/MA), some will fill it with the best at whatever time they get them and some (including me) will usually put in two units or so immediately, and then fill in a third (and later fourth) unit when better units are available. This gives the army a longer life as a potent unit, but it is weaker (less HP) until it's filled.

Yes, being able to drop all this thinking and always have the best units for the time in the army is much easier, but does it give you a better game? I think not.

16. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Nice as you may be, NiceOne, I don't agree with you this time. Perhaps aggressive players can have a stack of leaders sitting on a bench until they are asked to report for duty, given the fact that I normally play a more peaceful game, great leaders are rare for me, so I'd love the ability to unload an army and reload it with better units as they come available.

17. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

Mercade: I don't mean to say that there are many armies in most games. In my current game (emperor, huge, 16 civs) I have almost wiped out England (they've got 1 city left), but I havent had one leader yet (so no armies either).

But my point is actually stronger (IMHO of course) since armies are so scarce. Now you have to make some (more or less) painful decisions with your (only?) army (see my previous post). But if the units in the army could be changed, those tactical decisions would be gone.

18. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

NiceOne (and others): If you don't like leaving the bug in, what about my suggestion of making it an option, like they did with culture flipping? Obviously, there are strong opinions on both sides, so why not leave it up to the player which he prefers?
    If Firaxis 'fixes' this, those of us (a clear majority, it seems to me) who would like upgradeable armies are f***ed. Whereas, if they leave it in (or better yet, make it optional), opponents of upgrading can always decide not to use it.
    Personally, I'm always pro-choice... as opposed to "we know better than you how the game should be played"!
    And if the AI doesn't know how to upgrade their armies (BTW, who says that can't be programmed if you make it a regular option?) - so what? It doesn't know how to use arty, either, and I don't see anyone proposing arty should be banned..
    Personally, I'll take any legitimate advantage I can get playing on Deity level..

19. shramj

shramj Fähnrich

Just make it an option to upgrade units in armies then everyone would be able to choice to use it or not, kinda like how everyone was complaining about the range of planes, some wanted to increase their range and others did not, now you are able to control the range of planes using the editor so everyone is happy :) And by the way, someone in a post above said that we have a big advantage over the AI, I disagree with that unless you are playing Chieftan level. Later, Shramj

20. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

Do not fix this! Armies should be like this!

(Is this possible with 1.29f ?!?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.