1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Answered: How to unload units from an army in PTW!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kevo, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Chieftain

That's of course an idea that's perfectly fine with me. I do think non-upgradeable armies gives you more intereesting tactical choises, as written above, but I see no reason to force this upon other players...

2. Caelth216

Caelth216 Chieftain

I beleive that this should be an option to be used in either SP or MP (when agreed upon by all participants). The way I understand how this process works, it is a bug and Firaxis considers it a bug also. Quote (from Apolyton); "As first reported by Civ3.de, a fix is in the works as apart of new PTW patch with an as of yet unannounced anticipated release date. - DanQ"

3. Laser guided

Laser guided Chieftain

When you get your first leader the question is do you want to rush that wonder or do you want to build an army get it a victory and build the Military Academy and Heroic Epic? Go for the army, don't sit it on the side lines it is not going to serve you well there. Use it, stock if full of your strongest offensive units and go take a city or two.

Build that Military Academy, now you can build your armies instead of waiting on elite victories. I've always found that second leader the most difficult to come by without the Heroic Epic. Take the army, always take the army!

4. planetfall

planetfall Chieftain

If Firaxis considers this a bug, it should be elevated to a feature. In war time solders and units get to return from the warfront and to get an honorable discharge. Units usually remain, but in the case of long war it is not unheard of to disband a subunit of an army and reassign it to something more effective.

At least this feature does remove one of the annoying aggravations of the game.

== PF

5. Pantiras

Pantiras Chieftain

As a member of the US Army I want to say that the US Military is always altering units in this manner upgrading and changing weapons systems. And moving brigades and battalions completely from one Army to another. Why should we not be able to do this in the game???!! Firaxis should make this a selectable game option!

6. Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov Pain is Inevitable Unhappiness is Optional

Portuguese: Yes its available in 1.29f, but you have to edit your CIV3MOD in the UNITS section and make them unloadable.

I agree with Pantiras, just look at the units that compose the US III corps. The National Guard units get upgraded AND they're still part of the corps.

Question for the PTW gurus... Does it have an editor like 1.29f? If so then the point could be moot by editing the units screen.

7. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

I think one should be able to unload armies, but only in either the city with the Pentagon in it, or a city with a barracks or other appropriate military improvement or wonder. It makes no sense to not be able to upgrade the troops in your armies, and I think Firaxis should recify this oversight.

8. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

I never bothered with the Civ III editor and so can not give a good comparison, but with PTW the editor is comprehensive.

I have just looked, and the Civ III editor looks the same. Since PTW is a more recent version, we have to assume that they fixed some bugs as a minimum :)

9. Oceanus

Oceanus Chieftain

BTW, I also had success in PTW just disbanding outdated units in an army, then could load new units in it. *Shrug*, not too bad, and easy when you have your production machine really.

10. Civanator

Civanator Chieftain

Or it screws up the army. The units will be invisible, and the army won't have a circle around it when you select it. the circle will be on the last unit. Take a look at my save here, and unload the three infantry, and load the tank. to move the army, right click on its square.

www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Army.zip

11. Chubais

Chubais Chieftain

Had crash after 5 turns after unloading units so my advice - don't use it.

12. solops

solops Chieftain

Don't use armies, much. The inability to change out units (easily) or do upgrades makes them pretty well a useless item until at least tanks. Besides that, I've never needed them anyway.

13. Civanator

Civanator Chieftain

Disbanding the units in an army will send you crashing to the desktop. I think it is because i disbanded a unit that created the leader.

14. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord live by the sword

I guess it's also a question of luck, traits and playing style.

In my actual game I just got my 2 first GL in about 5 rounds, BC. I used the first one instantly to rush Pyramids and the second one for an army (regent, playing celts and agressive, those gallic swordsmen are truly a great UU ...).

On the other hand I didn't get a single GL in my last game (monarch, playing persian and focussing on a peaceful game with the exception of some skirmishes and rushing a weaker neighbour late game).

15. wallyskier

wallyskier Chieftain

If this is supposed to be a simulation of culture/military and everything else, units switch in and out of armies at the commander's whim. What if we invaded Iraq driving Sherman tanks, and the XVIII Airborne Corps were equipped with M-1 Garands and Waco gliders?

16. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

A simulations doesn't have to depict it totally, it's a simulation. Civilization 3 took some liberties with increasing gameplay and strategy by making armies unloadable and unupgradable. You have to have some strategy - do you load it up with units and then attack, or do you wait?

17. Illuminated

Illuminated Chieftain

I'd like to officially vote on the side of "make this a feature". I suppose "make it a configurable option" is acceptable since it will make those who do not want it happy as well.

By the way, I've heard that the next patch to PTW will have only "improvements for multiplayer" and "bug fixes" but no new features. This says to me we will have no ability to switch out army member units after this next patch releases.

18. Alex the Great

Alex the Great or maybe just semi-great

Since you would need to retrain units in real life for new weapons you should have to disband an army in a city with the military acadamy or pentagon and get a free empty one with the units of the old one on their own for upgrading. That could work.

19. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

It's not a huge issue, but bugs should be fixed, period.

I can buy the arguments that armies should be upgradable, but being able to simply empty an army and refill it with something else would be ridiculous. One could have an army filled with MA and take a city, and then empty it and refill it with Mech Inf to stop any AI counterattack in its tracks.

But it's a rare day I end up with any annoyingly archaic Armies - they usually die on duty - and an army of one tech obsolete attackers will usually strike harder than a single topnotch one anyway. With my (highly militant) playing style, non-upgradable Armies are a non-issue.

Edit: Spelling.

20. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

What is the "army window"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.