Anthrax???

atawa

Mastered by puppets
There was an article in the newspaper in Holland today:

It said that the FBI had found the perpertrator of the anthrax letters but didnt want to arrest him.

This becouse this maniac worked at a biological weapons research facility.

They were affraid that in a possible courtcase this man would leak a lot of sensitive information about the US biological weapons research and testing.

Is this true? :confused: :confused:

Does anyone else have info about this story?

I heard rumours in various newsapapers that this was the case for quite awhile but not anything definate.

I don't know... it would actually make the justice department look competent if they caught them. As far as all the secrets he knows, criminals making wild accusations once caught is common, so it would be easy for the government to simply deny without anyone taking him too seriously (if its true or not).

Do you think he would survive the arrets?

I can imagine the US gouvernment not being happy by all the scienticif details, names and places this guy could leak to the world if he wanted to.......

:slay:

From what I heard, this set of rumors is casued by one worker pointing the finge, without evidence, at another worker she is pissed off with.

The FBI has released some more info on this. They have been looking at one person in particular based on PROFILE only (capability, former position at Fort Dietrich, and bad attitude) but have uncovered ZERO other evidence (after extensive searches) to connect him.

this just moved on the AP wire. looks like what you heard isn't true, atawa, unless, of course, you believe that Ari Fleischer and the Associated Press are in on the conspiracy.

FBI still without prime suspect in anthrax investigation
By TED BRIDIS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) … Months after anthrax-tainted letters killed five people and sickened more than a dozen, the FBI said Monday that its investigators do not have a prime suspect despite
conducting hundreds of interviews in the case.

"There is no prime suspect in this case at this time,'' spokesman Bill Carter said.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said there are several suspects and the FBI has not narrowed that list down to one. "I wish it were that easy and that simple right now,'' he said.

President Bush wants the case resolved quickly, Fleischer said, but also wants the FBI to take its time and "build a case that would stand in court, that is thorough, that is conclusive.''

The FBI -- renowned for its behavioral profiles of criminal suspects -- does have some clues about the suspected anthrax-mailer, according to an earlier letter from the lead FBI investigator to a group of scientists.

Van Harp, assistant director of the bureau's Washington office, wrote that the FBI believes that a single person, with experience working in a laboratory, is behind the mailings. Harp described this person as having "a clear, rational thought process and appears to be very organized in the production and mailing of these letters.''

Fleischer said the source of the anthrax definitely was domestic, and the block handwriting on the letters seemed "chosen by design'' to throw off investigators.

Harp also said the FBI believes that, because the mailed anthrax was of the so-called "Ames strain'' of Bacillus anthracis, the suspect probably has or had legitimate access to biological agents in a laboratory. Harp also described the suspect as ``standoffish'' and preferring to work alone rather than in groups.

``It is possible this person used off-hours in a laboratory or may have even established an improvised or concealed facility comprised of sufficient equipment to produce the anthrax,''
Harp said.

Harp's description was in a letter sent to the Washington-based American Association for Microbiology, which published the letter Feb. 1 on its Web site.

``It is very likely that one or more of you know this individual,'' Harp wrote to the group's members.

Originally posted by atawa
There was an article in the newspaper in Holland today:

It said that the FBI had found the perpertrator of the anthrax letters but didnt want to arrest him.

This becouse this maniac worked at a biological weapons research facility.

They were affraid that in a possible courtcase this man would leak a lot of sensitive information about the US biological weapons research and testing.

Is this true? :confused: :confused:

Does anyone else have info about this story?

I read exactly the same in a Russian online newspaper. It quoted Washington Post as the source of this information. However today, as Franklyn said, a notice appeared on the news wire that the FBI denied the information in Washington Post, calling their material 'comical'.

I didn't see anything in the Washington Post on a govt coverup. But the paper did have an interesting story last week on all sorts of security lapses at its biological weapons lab.

Top Bottom