Anti-Espionage

pat123

Warlord
What are the anit-espionage measures you can take in Civ 4 BTS? I have one or two spies in all of my cities, especially my older core cities. Yet every few turns, I get a message saying that a spy has been stumbled on in one of those core cities, rather than that spy being caught by my counter-espionage agency. Why? How can I put a stop to these spies? Are my spies just stupid, or am I missing a crucial espionage mechanic?

A spy being stumbled upon means the spy has been caught without doing any damage.

Spies do counter-espionage on the same tile. But the counter-spy probablities are worked out from:

* Units. Lots of units = high counter-espionage. Spies caught in this method are 'stumbled' upon

* Espionage ratio. You having a high espionage value, and the enemy having a low espionage value = high counter-espionage. Spies caught in this method are 'stumbled' upon.

* Spies OR Intellegence Agencies. These DON'T stack, but if they are caught from this method, then they are 'caught to do increased counter-espionage efforts' or something.

The counter-espionage espionage mission does NOT increase counter-espionage chance, but it DOES make those missions much more expensive for the rival civilisation...

The message "A spy has been stumbled upon" indicates exactly this - you got a enemy spy. So i dont really get where you problem is.

The game does not really resolve what single cause there was for catching a spy - all the factors influencing your chance to get him are added up, then a random dice trow is made against that chance... If you get lucky you get him, if not...
There is no way to get to a 100% success rate either.

A spy in a plot (city, ressource-improvement) will increase the chance to catch enemy spy. So if you succed it is - to a part because you had a counter-spy there. But there is no such thing as "My Spy Nr.007 caught exactly this one enemy spy".

Btw. One Spy in a city is enought - a second one does not increase your odds of success. Same with Sec.Buero - if you have one, no point of placing a spy in that city - they do not stack.

Here is a Article by Bhruic explaining the odds of catching a enemy agent.

Units. Lots of units = high counter-espionage. Spies caught in this method are 'stumbled' upon
Units do not help catch spys at all.

Also again - the cause of why exactly you got a spy is not resolved in detail - the odds from all present factors are added up and checked.
You will get different messages sometimes - this is purely adding some "flavour" to the game:
You get the "Caught due to elevated Counter espionage" if you run a Couter Espionage mission shortly (the CR expires after 10 turns on normal. Not sure if it scales on speed).
You get the "Intercepted by Counter Agents" if the spy is caught on a plot where you have a defensive agent (Spy or secu buero).
You get "Stumbled Upon" otherwise.

Note that the message is "Stumbled Upon near [Your City]" - this does not necessarily mean in the city - hence not necesserily on the plot where you Counter Agent is - this is why you will sometimes get "Stumbled Upon" from cities where you have own spys.

... You get the "Caught due to elevated Counter espionage" if you run a Couter Espionage mission shortly (the CR expires after 10 turns on normal. Not sure if it scales on speed)...

Yes it does. 30 turns for marathon.

A couple other considerations:

Your overall espionage spending has a significant impact on your chances, and given that the AI caps out at 20% espionage, it can be pretty easy to establish a sizable lead against them if you try. Once you get them down around a 75% discount against them, they'll start having serious trouble doing anything against you (assuming they weren't already).

Closing your borders against troublemakers is another way to help catch their spies (won't help when they perform missions, but will help catch them while they're en route).

Mind you if you're already stumbling on spies left and right it means you're doing just fine, when you start seeing your cities get poisoned every five turns and improvements are being destroyed faster than you can build them, you'll know you have a problem ;)

Top Bottom