1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Antiquity Sites are Untouchable? That's Pretty Inconvenient.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Nov 1, 2016.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I'm playing Russia, been getting plenty of great writers, painters, and musicians. No real need for archaeological museums, but that civic is a necessary stop on the path to getting to broadcast centers.

So, now that antiquity sites are revealed, the tiles appear to be locked down. Can't improve them, can't district them. Pretty frustrating. Anyone know tricks for getting around this?

2. mnf

mnf King

Sounds like the only good way to take care of that is to mod a Builder action to destroy antiquity sites... :(

3. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

Yea, I noticed this... antiquity sites are really, really freaking annoying.

Another thing for the community to fix.

4. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Yep, this is a pain. Particularly since an archaeology museum and an archaeologist are a huge investment if you're not playing culturally.

5. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Yeah, I've found it annoying too. Not gamebreaking, just frustrating.

6. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

It isn't entirely game breaking, but it can be city breaking... I've had a city with several antiquity sites around it, preventing the building of districts (to be fair, also usually cornered off by ocean and desert)

Why we can't go all ISIS and blow up antiquities, I don't know.

PrairieDad likes this.
  7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yeah, I had made a ring of mines around my planned industrial district, and then it was all broken up by the antiquity sites.

8. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I guess for now, it's good to have one archeological museum in your empire, just to get rid of any super annoying antiquity sites that may pop up?

nzcamel and PrairieDad like this.
  9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

You just need one or two museums to get rid of the most ill-placed archeological sites. Doesn't seem too hard to do and may be worth the investment. If the AI was better with digging up sites, you could also just open borders or hope whoever built the wonder that allows digging up sites in foreign territory comes for a visit.
    Come on, it's really just one or two district places in underdevelloped cities... If at some point district cost is dependend on how many of this district you've already built, it's not even an investment any more.

10. bladex

bladex Emperor

build archeologists and dig them up

11. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Do they give anything before being dug up? Like culture output or something to at least make a surrounded city somewhat semi-useful before investing in archaeologists?
    They should, frankly.

Zaarin likes this.
  12. bladex

bladex Emperor

they pretty much do nothing except get in your way unless you dig them up

13. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

This may be a good case for "pre-building" a district in a spot you plan to put it. Alternatively, you could place a builder improvement there temporarily.

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I try to delay this civic until I have most of my tiles already improved. It is annoying. My current game I only had two pop up in tundra and snow.

15. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

It is annoying, but the alternative is someone destroying the artifacts that someone else wants to get, which is unbalanced.

In order to destroy one you should pay the same cost as the person who puts in the effort to harvest it. And since archaeologists are much more expensive than builders, it's not fair to let builders take them out.

Really the solution here is you should build a museum to get rid of them. There can't be that many you want to improve.

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

UNESCO would like a word with you . . .

:D

17. andydtoma

andydtoma Chieftain

But in real world there are infrastructure projects that are long time halted by unexpected archeological findings. I like this similarity.

Ace Belder, Bosque, Zaarin and 5 others like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I don't know why the removed the ability like in Civ 5 where you could make them into tourist improvements, it seems like it would work well with the current model.

You could also unearth them and then sell them to the AI.

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

[QUOTE="bbbt, post: 14542386, member: 251092"
    You could also unearth them and then sell them to the AI.[/QUOTE]

In Civ VI, you can only dig them up if you have a place to store them so there's no real point in selling them to the AI if you've gone to the trouble of building the theater district + archaeology museum + archaeologist.

20. bbbt

bbbt Deity

In Civ VI, you can only dig them up if you have a place to store them so there's no real point in selling them to the AI if you've gone to the trouble of building the theater district + archaeology museum + archaeologist.[/QUOTE]

I usually have tons of sites, so I was thinking of having like one museum and a mercenary archaeologist - i.e. dig up, put in the museum, sell it. Repeat like ten times. But you're right that's it's probably wouldn't pay off the investment of hammers -and archaeologist only last what, 3 times I think?