Any point to religion after getting all 4 tenets?

Stringer1313

Emperor
See subject line... I'm confused about late game cultures that emphasize religion. Is the only purpose of religion to allow you to have a religion-related grievance about another territory?

don't forget the +2 CS some avatars get for different religions

yeah, i know

right now religion as a whole has been made into a non-feature

we should demand partial refunds for taking away core gameplay mechanics so they stop these "fixes" that leave us with less of a game to play

See subject line... I'm confused about late game cultures that emphasize religion. Is the only purpose of religion to allow you to have a religion-related grievance about another territory?
Basically yes (Grievances basically mean Free cities in War)... and all the Faith Empires are Expansionist (India being the Exception)

It‘s harder to be on stable friendly terms with different religions, so the point of religion later on seems purely for diplomacy (convert the others quickly or convert or abolish) and for the grievances. It is really great for the latter tough in medieval/early modern, much easier than influence.

Humankind is conservative with religion but does a good job with it. It provides powerful benefits with tenants and later creates important diplomatic strategy. It is already a good and meaningful feature that can now be improved further (but carefully)

to me it's been complitely undone compared to the open devs builds in which religion could be madre a source of INF, MON and even RES to best complement your culture.

right now it got almost removed from the cultural wonders, it adds very little bonuses that make no sense, such as magic more CS because it says so and even some early tenets are more powerful than the latter ones. all of this while being almost fully passive and certainly it could be argued that abandoning your own religion to go after the leading one in the rare case your not it, is a zero cost alternative as far as i remember

you do get grievances, true. but you get them for everything else so... yay i guess

a cool tenet would be work is pray and industry bonuses attached to population, but the mentality that population related bonuses are bad got us to +15 in the city center when you are already netting several hundreds because god forbids the dreaded snowballz

Yeah I’d like to go back to some per-pop, or at least scaling bonuses, and make the pop thresholds high enough that you have to fight for it. Feels like one of several features that’s tuned for Town level play that doesn’t account for the higher pops etc at HK

Some of the cultures and world wonders benefit from faith and religious spread.
In my last game I've picked the Aksumites followed by the Teutons and after world wide conversion which happened fairly quickly, I got 150 gold per Aksumite Obelisk. Quite powerful throughout the whole game.
The Teutons bonus was another 150 science and gold per turn which was pretty useful at first but of course didn't scale very well.
The grievances are nice-to-have but after your science begins to snowball, the game ends way too quickly to really benefit from late game wars. Just spam science districts and click next turn instead xD
At that point, faith feels pretty useless indeed.

you're right. i may be too entrenched in my perception of the current set up to be able to fully appreciate it

Late game it feels pretty useless, which is the main reason why I consider India to be the worst contemporary era culture. If you didn't get Angkor Wat there isn't much point to keep getting faith per turn.

And related to this, secularism should really give some sort of scientific or influence bonus. Right now it feels useless too.

You should be able to build fanatics with faith. there is lots of things you can do with a fanatical base
I absolutely agree with this.

The core religion mechanics are fine IMO, room for improvement because it feels so hands off but making a strong religion can really help you.

Since there's a lot of economic issues that pop out, religion is useful but after 4 its still useful because you get more with the tenets such as gold, culture or research. Whatever it is you need upgrades, revolution prevention, etc.

Top Bottom