1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

any realtime no turn mods?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kirklar, May 9, 2010.

1. kirklar

kirklar Chieftain

im looking for a mod that takes turns out of the game for 100 percent real time gameplay.

2. El_Salmun

El_Salmun Chieftain

:rotfl: buy Rise Of Nations...
    I don't think that what you're proposing is possible. Why would you want to make it RTS anyway, trun-based is practically the essence of the Civ series?

3. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

Why would this be so impossible? Multiplayer is sort of realtime. When a player leaves AI takes over and continues the game.

4. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

This is just about impossible to do. I see a way it could work, but it would involve millions of turns auto-going by in the game.

And, Freakwave, that statement is non-sequitur. What does that have to do with multiplayer and realtime?

5. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

What i mean is that if you can "fool" the pc into thinking you are playing a multiplayer game.

Like playing multi but with only AI opponents.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not really.
    The engine, which civ uses (GameBryo) is a real time engine, and they had to hack into it to make it turn based.
    But to make it again real time you'd probably have to have access to the .exe.

7. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

You would need to entirely rewrite the game, pretty much from the ground up.

8. kirklar

kirklar Chieftain

what i mean if "if" people misunderstood is the option to not hit the end turn button to continue the game.

9. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

There's an option for that. It ends your turn once you finish everything.

10. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

There is a turn timer in multiplayer. I continued multiplayer games as singleplayer. So they are not mutually exclusive thats why i didnt think it impossible.

11. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Turn-based with a turn timer is still turn-based. A real-time game is essentially a simulator, where the game-state is updated by elapsing the CPU clock. Fundamentally, they are different.

In terms of "tricks", you might emulate some of the feel of real-time, in a turn-based, if you set a limit on the number of units that each player could move per turn. You'd also have to rewrite the AI to make it less CPU-intensive (and dumber), so the the end of turn sequence took less time.