Any video/podcast tutorials?

starrywisdom

Warlord
Hey guys,

I've been a long time civ player and I actually frequent this forum quite often. While this website does offer a lot of strategy content I was wondering does anyone know of any good youtube channels or podcasts that focus on civ 5?

I've got 2 friends are fairly new to the series and are asking me(they are visual/auditory learners) and like me - like to watch things on the train and the such. I googled a bit but only have come up with some pretty lame lets plays that really are just someone playing talking about game of thrones in the background; lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping my friends get into this great game!

MadDjinn is really the top-notch stuff, but sometimes it's not straight forward if you don't have a basic understanding of certain concepts

Though I'm not 100% sure at this point, I've been mulling the idea over for quite some time on making Brave New World tutorials. Really basic stuff, covering all the new concepts and new civs. Similar to the late MisterCiv5. I would do it months after the release though, so I'm not sure whether or not there would be an audience for it that late in the process which is the reason I'm not 100% sure

MadDjinn is really the top-notch stuff, but sometimes it's not straight forward if you don't have a basic understanding of certain concepts

Though I'm not 100% sure at this point, I've been mulling the idea over for quite some time on making Brave New World tutorials. Really basic stuff, covering all the new concepts and new civs. Similar to the late MisterCiv5. I would do it months after the release though, so I'm not sure whether or not there would be an audience for it that late in the process which is the reason I'm not 100% sure

People are still looking for G&K videos. Including me. I just started playing about a month or two ago. I think you would be fine making "let's play's" months after the expansion. Especially if you play deity level.

It's really hard to find good players that can talk all the way through, and make it count. The ones mentioned here are definitely good.

I say do it and post it here. Write a strategy on what you're basically doing, and back it up with talking and people will watch.

People are still looking for G&K videos. Including me. I just started playing about a month or two ago. I think you would be fine making "let's play's" months after the expansion. Especially if you play deity level.

It's really hard to find good players that can talk all the way through, and make it count. The ones mentioned here are definitely good.

I say do it and post it here. Write a strategy on what you're basically doing, and back it up with talking and people will watch.

I'm interested in making tutorials (Not let's plays - I wouldn't have the energy to improvise for that long)

(Also I'm a bit weary about making an LP because a long time ago I came up with a ridiculously stupid strategy for Polynesia. Actually, parts of it were really solid and helpful...but other parts I would rather not talk about....)

^^ With a tutorial, I can avoid making this same mistake. But at the same time I feel confident in my abilities to elaborate key thoughts. I am aiming for those beginners getting started with BNW, or long-time players who just need clarification (because there is always stuff that is not quite clear even with the Civilopedia).

There is already an extensive list of quality experts (led by MadDjinn) for the audience of CivFanatics...and they all specialize in LPs

I'm interested in making tutorials (Not let's plays - I wouldn't have the energy to improvise for that long)

I would say to make tutorials on one subject at a time please. I don't like searching through videos for something that might apply to what I'm looking for. Hence, MadDjinn.
The advice from "Beyond the Monument" is fantastic, but it's too scattered. It would be better if he stuck to an outline and didn't let some other person side-track him, or within the description of the video put the time where something can be found.

But, again. I say do it. The worse that can happen is no one watches. But if you post it here, I'm sure it will help someone like me always looking for more information.

You'll find all the videos for everyone that posts one, in the Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays sub-forum and they should have the [VidLP] tag next to the thread titles.

I've learned a lot watching some of them, especially MadDjinn's videos. He only plays them on Deity btw.

Top Bottom