1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody running Warlords on an Alu. iMac?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Hakko, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

I can't seem to get Warlords (rev 1.61 B) to run on my aluminum iMac (2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 2600 graphics, OS X 10.5 (9A581)). I get "rainbowing" and frequent crashes.

Vanilla CivIV (patched to 1.74) works just fine.

I've looked through the forum, and see that some are running it fine while others are still (!) having problems. Am I doomed to wait until Aspyr releases a new patch, or is there a fix somewhere?

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Warlords is version 2.08 on the Mac, not 1.61. Latest update is patch B. I assume that's a typo.

3. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Double Post

4. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Thanks. It's nice to be here.

The version number I used comes from macupdate.com, but in my build information it is indeed listed as v. 2.08. Sorry for the confusion.

Also I just updated Leopard to 10.5.1 (9818), but Warlords still has the same problems. :(

5. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Just a bump to see if anyone has any more input on this.

6. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's a wild idea, I know, but have you asked Aspyr for help?

7. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

I have the 24" 2.8ghz imac, and warlords seems to work just fine...

8. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

What version of Warlords, Civ, and Leopard are you running?

9. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

Leopard 10.5.1, Civ 1.74, and Warlords 2.08. All my system software and drivers are up to date, too. I'm very meticulous about that.

10. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Which graphics card do you have?

11. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

Radeon 2600HD, same as you i think.

12. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Yes, I have:

I downloaded and installed the imac update, although I'm pretty sure I already had it, since it's dated 11/07. In any event, I've since managed to play a game of Warlords to 1850, although I still have rainbowing and various other graphic anomalies, and have several times had to quit and reload because of various interface and graphics issues: sudden non-responsiveness to mouse-clicks; all units suddenly going dark; black screen after alt-tabbing. Maybe the update helped, maybe not.

Mickey- How much RAM do you have on your iMac? Everything else sounds identical to mine, except the processor speed, and I can't imagine that would be an issue.

13. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

I have a first generation 24" iMac, with an nVidia card, and I definitely learned not to Alt-Tab or the graphics would start turning black at some point.

14. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

I got the full 4gb. Worth mentioning that, recently, especially in vanilla civ but also sometimes in warlords, once the land starts getting highly developed and the cities crammed in and growing big, all the cities and improvements start... well, first its like a light is turned off, they just get a bit darker and the shadows look wrong. And then soon after, the cities and improvements just turn black. Its really wierd, and it seems that if i zoom out to get the world view, and then zoom back in, they're ok.
    But yeah, thats only in the lategame it seems, and moreso in vanilla than warlords.

15. nauticus

nauticus Chieftain

hi, just some more anecdotal evidence:

I have a new iMac top o' line 20" 1gig RAM and the game (warlords latest version) runs so much better than on my old iMac G5 1st gen. It better!

I too have the weird effect when the longer I play the units grow darker and darker shades of black.

But, this beats my old iMac where after a few minutes the map would be black and there was crazy colorful geometric shapes all over.

I do hope that we get a patch.

16. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

Or some new radeon drivers FFS...

17. enkiduMT

enkiduMT Chieftain

yeah, my old iMac G5 (which Apple kindly took back after 3 years - gotta love Applecare - and gave me a base model Alu 20") used to have the black cities thing very rarely, but on and off would have that bizarre "crazy polygon plague" until I would have to quit n restart.

The new Alu iMac and MacBook Pro both play civ wonderfully!
    Truth be told, I think the MBP plays civ better than the iMac (mb its the smaller screen res)

My interest in all things CIV is waning as Aspyr can't seem to get the Warlords patch out. It sez gamespy on the box and gamespy is broken. For many many months now.

Makes me seriously consider passing on any future Aspyr anything. I mean, no mac vs pc play for QW:ET? or COD4? May as well just skip em both if we are going to be screwed on mods and version incompatibilities. I am thinking about the Orange Box and Crossover... TF2 looks to be a heck of a lot of fun. Plus Portal... oh and that HalfLife thingee... hmmm

18. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

Time to start downloading Civ 3 mods, i think.

19. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Turns out that running Warlords in a window makes all the graphics glitches disappear. Go figure.

20. Hakko

Hakko Chieftain

Now it seems like the latest Mac graphics update has eliminated the glitches in full-screen mode too. :D :D