Anybody running Warlords on an Alu. iMac?

Hakko

Chieftain
I can't seem to get Warlords (rev 1.61 B) to run on my aluminum iMac (2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 2600 graphics, OS X 10.5 (9A581)). I get "rainbowing" and frequent crashes.

Vanilla CivIV (patched to 1.74) works just fine.

I've looked through the forum, and see that some are running it fine while others are still (!) having problems. Am I doomed to wait until Aspyr releases a new patch, or is there a fix somewhere?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Warlords is version 2.08 on the Mac, not 1.61. Latest update is patch B. I assume that's a typo.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Warlords is version 2.08 on the Mac, not 1.61. Latest update is patch B. I assume that's a typo.

Thanks. It's nice to be here.

The version number I used comes from macupdate.com, but in my build information it is indeed listed as v. 2.08. Sorry for the confusion.

Also I just updated Leopard to 10.5.1 (9818), but Warlords still has the same problems. :(

It's a wild idea, I know, but have you asked Aspyr for help?

Leopard 10.5.1, Civ 1.74, and Warlords 2.08. All my system software and drivers are up to date, too. I'm very meticulous about that.

It's a wild idea, I know, but have you asked Aspyr for help?

Yes, I have:

We have found that the HD Series cards have problems processing the graphics in some of our games.
We are currently working diligently with Apple to get these issues resolved. Since none of our titles were ever tested or approved for play on The ATI 2400/2600 that are in the new Intel iMacs, we cannot support any of our games on these machines at this time.
Apple did just release an Open GL update specifically for new Intel iMac with the ATI 2400/2600 in them.
You can download it here:

Leopard:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
imacsoftwareupdate13leopard.html

I hope this helps.
-Aspyr

I downloaded and installed the imac update, although I'm pretty sure I already had it, since it's dated 11/07. In any event, I've since managed to play a game of Warlords to 1850, although I still have rainbowing and various other graphic anomalies, and have several times had to quit and reload because of various interface and graphics issues: sudden non-responsiveness to mouse-clicks; all units suddenly going dark; black screen after alt-tabbing. Maybe the update helped, maybe not.

Mickey- How much RAM do you have on your iMac? Everything else sounds identical to mine, except the processor speed, and I can't imagine that would be an issue.

Mickey- How much RAM do you have on your iMac? Everything else sounds identical to mine, except the processor speed, and I can't imagine that would be an issue.

I got the full 4gb. Worth mentioning that, recently, especially in vanilla civ but also sometimes in warlords, once the land starts getting highly developed and the cities crammed in and growing big, all the cities and improvements start... well, first its like a light is turned off, they just get a bit darker and the shadows look wrong. And then soon after, the cities and improvements just turn black. Its really wierd, and it seems that if i zoom out to get the world view, and then zoom back in, they're ok.
But yeah, thats only in the lategame it seems, and moreso in vanilla than warlords.

hi, just some more anecdotal evidence:

I have a new iMac top o' line 20" 1gig RAM and the game (warlords latest version) runs so much better than on my old iMac G5 1st gen. It better!

I too have the weird effect when the longer I play the units grow darker and darker shades of black.

But, this beats my old iMac where after a few minutes the map would be black and there was crazy colorful geometric shapes all over.

I do hope that we get a patch.

yeah, my old iMac G5 (which Apple kindly took back after 3 years - gotta love Applecare - and gave me a base model Alu 20") used to have the black cities thing very rarely, but on and off would have that bizarre "crazy polygon plague" until I would have to quit n restart.

The new Alu iMac and MacBook Pro both play civ wonderfully!
Truth be told, I think the MBP plays civ better than the iMac (mb its the smaller screen res)

My interest in all things CIV is waning as Aspyr can't seem to get the Warlords patch out. It sez gamespy on the box and gamespy is broken. For many many months now.

Makes me seriously consider passing on any future Aspyr anything. I mean, no mac vs pc play for QW:ET? or COD4? May as well just skip em both if we are going to be screwed on mods and version incompatibilities. I am thinking about the Orange Box and Crossover... TF2 looks to be a heck of a lot of fun. Plus Portal... oh and that HalfLife thingee... hmmm

Turns out that running Warlords in a window makes all the graphics glitches disappear. Go figure.

Now it seems like the latest Mac graphics update has eliminated the glitches in full-screen mode too. :D :D

Top Bottom