1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else carry a grudge against AI opponent into next game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jacozilla, May 24, 2013.

1. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^In games where I have Monty and Attila as neighbors, I've found they will attack early.

Once you repel the attack, Monty seems to be okay after that. But Attila will keep attacking throughout the game. I've been best friends with Monty after the first war, but not with Attila.

2. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

Yep, Monty is the most annoying early on. He seems to be forgiving, but I wipe him out anyway. No one attacks my people and remains a civilization. I usually don't hold grudges in the following game for previous civilizations I didn't get along with, but usually it's for border reasons and not their personality (unlike Monty, Atty, and Ghengy)

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

I couldn't agree more. last time I tried playing as Sejong, Attila captured Seoul on turn 18 (marathon / prince) WTF, seriously??? I know I may not be one of the most experienced players (just look at the level I play and you will be sure of that) but being defeated in 18 turns is beyond any reason!!!

4. Colmar

Colmar Warlord

Elizabeth and William are always the loyal AI for me. They love to trade and don't even overcharge for RAs. Contrast with Kamehameha and Maria Theresa, who love to pull the "It was fun pretending to actually like you, but that's over now."

Oh and it seems that in every game I have, Isabella is the insignificant one of the bunch. She holds her own early on and doesn't lose cities, but then she hovers near the bottom of all the demographics and is always first to denounce once I lose my 'cool kid' status.

5. docbud

docbud Emperor

@Sabrina: Holy crap. Turn 18?

I only play on Prince level as well, but Epic. I think my current game I got notifications that two unknown civs were wiped out and that was by turn 50. Totally wiped out.

@Colmar:

I have good luck being friends with William, as well. But Liz always, and I mean always, is hostile. I've never had her be friends for long.

6. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

Yup, fastest game ever, never tried to play as Sejong again after that and if I'm playing single player, I reset the game if I see Attila in the AI list.

7. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

Suleiman, because all of his animations just scream, "Hello, worthless, tiny, peasant!" And how when he says hello, it sounds like he's screaming his name. It's funny at first, but when everytime you go to diplo with him it sounds like he's yelling out, "Suleiman!"

Also, it's not necessarily a grudge, but I always pity Alex/Greece. Every game I play with Greece, they always have the living day-lights beat out of them.

Then there's William of the Netherlands. He and I are always best pals, ever since my first game of Civ 5 we've been BFFLs.

8. Irkalla

Irkalla ENTP POWWWEEEEEER

I usually have a LOT of trouble out of the Ottomans. My only losses have been to them. Lost once to them, lost again to a coalition of them and the Aztecs, then lost to them just recently. As the Byzantines :lol:

In contrast, I usually wind up being best bros with Attila, Genghis, and Selassie.

9. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Siam, They are KOS. No matter what, we just cannot get along with each other. In one game i've had, we both have almost done every single bad thing to each other. Was missing just a few negative modifiers then it would've been complete.

Hiawatha, he warmongers alot and and betrays any ally that suffers a setback in war. I see that happen, I go and take him out for he is lacking in honor!

10. pilot00

pilot00 King

I am on the same boat. Siam is going large with a super large empire either settled or conquered. He almost certainly will get runaway status. Attila, Monty, Khan, Alex and Suleiman are the ones that cannot be reasoned with so if I can I will either wipe them out or at least marginalize their city numbers. Sukotai is usually good settled and have a couple of wonders so I get to annex it.

Another city I tend to annex if it is close is Honolulu. Kamehameha usually builds a lot of early wonders. Though I have no grudges with him.

11. IAmBecomeGandhi

IAmBecomeGandhi Chieftain

12. beestbijnacht

beestbijnacht Chieftain

Haha, more or less happened to me before, I think it was Selassie which means he did it without his combat bonus vs larger cities for extra humiliation. Jerk!:mad: don't they know its only okay when I do that?

13. dodgerphreak

dodgerphreak Chieftain

Ever since Civ 4 I have had a grudge against Napoleon. This grudge was reinforced the other day when while playing Civ 5 he launched a surprise attack on me not 50 turns into the game. I beat him back, he offers a peace treaty, blah blah blah. Not 5 turns after the peace treaty expires he attacks me again. This time I was ready for him and I wiped his smug little face off the map.:D

That said, Monty always seems to like to go to war as well. I waste no time in eliminating him if he's in the vicinity of my civ.

14. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

Catherine. She gets all butthurt because I happen to settle my fourth city within a few turns before she could get her settler off. She DOWs me within turn 30, get beaten hard by my archers, and manages to fight off my counterattack (there were a lot of forest my American city of Philadelphia and her city of Novgorod) and I refused to hand her the city (she actually had the ovarial fortitude to demanded Philly from me! For a chick, she sure has a pair!), and after I retreated my horse archers (I lost like 5 archers!) back to America, she finally asked for an even peace. For that I will carry that moment to my grave, and when I see that <insert offensive explicit here> in another game again, I'm pointing my army her way! In fact, I gotta finish this game. I'm absolutely raging right now, and I have a twit to eliminate. [pissed]

15. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Pachacuti has been an annoyance in one game I played long ago and since then I hold a serious grudge against him. Funniest part is that he appears constantly in my games and most of the time he's not even a threat. But I still try to do my best to destroy him.

16. WChrisMullen

WChrisMullen Warlord

Napoleon and Gustavus Adolphus are always backstabbing jerks who declare war at the worst possible moments. With people like Bismarck, Monty, Alex, and Isabella you can count on them to be backstabbers so you know not to ally with them. With Napoleon and Gus, I could be waging a successful war on the other end of the continent when they decide to rush in and take my cities on their frontier after almost 100 turns of friendship. :mad:

17. pilot00

pilot00 King

'Your mileage may vary' as they say, but I have to say the Swedes are nice guys. In my games they are either getting steam rolled or in rare occasions they manage to beat off the aggressor AI and start their own conquests, culminating in an autocratic empire (if they get attack first). If they are left alone to settle 5-6 cities without incident they will stay there minding their own business and selling me research agreements.

The only 'back-stab' I had from Gus, at a time was where I had almost no relations with him and we adopted different governments (he freedom I order). But he didn't do anything more than denouncing me. I can never remember going to war against him.
    You must have gone to him in a reaaaaaallyyyyyyy bad day :goodjob:

18. NoPartials

NoPartials Chieftain

Isabella once spent almost the entire game at war with me, i've never really forgiven her since :lol:

19. docbud

docbud Emperor

I've got a game going, and Babylon is my neighbor. Normally that's not a problem. But he is spamming cities all around my one lone city. I have a feeling we're not going to get along in this game.

20. Cedbird

Cedbird Warlord

Lol funny post but so real . I have done this so many times. I guessss I have outgrown this though . Not sure . :lol: