Anyone else carry a grudge against AI opponent into next game?

Augustus is one of the worst AI to play against. I've only once been friends with him and any other time it's Guarded or Hostile, and in this game he's been building up a military to invade me, while I build up enough to defend myself (It's 1950 and we've been building since at least 1600s on epic time). Thing is he's way more tech advanced than me since I'm trying to win Cultural. D:

When I meet Haile Selassie, I immediately start plotting his demise. I've grown tired of his wondermongering and faithmongering.

A lot of ing about Elizabeth in this thread - I wouldn't know as I usually play as England. But as for some others, hell yes!
Genghis K - love him, v predictable and fine about it next turn if you just slapped him. I actually like having him as a neighbour even though he can be tricky in the very early period.
Siam - ugh. probably the preachiest Civ, thinks you are a warmonger (blah blah blah) if you have the temerity to repond to another Civs aggression. He was once getting a royal thumping from Oda, and when I came to his rescue guess who was the baddie?! He was friends with Japan a turn or so later.
Cat - I make it a mission to eliminate her asap, too many games with her backstabbing etc. plus settling irritating/worthless cities right next to me.
Rameses - gotta love him, it's like having a trust fund - he builds a load of wonders and when I'm starting to creak a bit on happiness mid/late game I make a withdrawal from Thebes. Wish he was in every game.
Monte stays friendly for long periods but I wouldn't want him as early neighbour - ditto Attila.
Oh and I can't stand Suleiman - the fool thinks he's a naval power, usually spams a billion cities and then starts mouthing off at me for no provocation - later on in the game I'm told he can be seen coral diving whilst inspecting his fleet
They all hate me eventually, even when I'm trying to play nice...

My favorite love/hate relationship is with Montezuma of the Aztecs. He just can't seem to get enough of
sacrificing his Jaguar Warriors to my ranged units. However, his position might be replaced once Shaka
of the Zulu come on board. I just love showing primitive screwheads the shooty-end of my broomsticks.

Now I will add Isabella of the Spanish to the list. Since she likes to send in Great Prophets into my cities.
I now believe she gets to be the first one I choose to eliminate for her faith Spreading ways. No Open
Boarders means No Open Boarders!

'Your mileage may vary' as they say, but I have to say the Swedes are nice guys. In my games they are either getting steam rolled or in rare occasions they manage to beat off the aggressor AI and start their own conquests, culminating in an autocratic empire (if they get attack first). If they are left alone to settle 5-6 cities without incident they will stay there minding their own business and selling me research agreements.

The only 'back-stab' I had from Gus, at a time was where I had almost no relations with him and we adopted different governments (he freedom I order). But he didn't do anything more than denouncing me. I can never remember going to war against him.
You must have gone to him in a reaaaaaallyyyyyyy bad day :goodjob:

In my situation, Napoleon and Gus were at opposite ends of a Pangea map, and I was in the south-central portion of the continent as Babylon. My early wars were with Japan to the west and Spain to the east. Both of them were the aggressors, and I trounced them. During this time, Napoleon, Gus, and I were pretty cool because we had a lot of space between us. Japan acted as a buffer between Napoleon and I, and Spain as a buffer between Gus and I. Gus comes to me and asks for me to join him in a war against Pachacuti, who was expanding in the north-central portion, having taken out China and a couple city-states. I agree to the ten-turn wait period, but in the intervening time Oda declares war, promptly followed by Napoleon. While I'm waging this war, Gus gets mad at me because I obviously can't open a third front against Pachacuti. After my victory against Oda and peace with Napoleon, Gus gets angry. He denounces me and moves all his troops to my border. He starts insulting me every turn, while I sign a DoF with Pachacuti in order to make sure I have an ally against Gus. Napoleon is feigning the part of my friend, trading with me, signing RAs, etc. I eventually go to war with Gus and am marching on Stockholm when Napoleon changes his mind and marches his troops into my western frontier. The ensuing battle reduced a size 25 city to size 1. :mad:

WOW! I have never seen him act like that. Then again I always deny outright their requests for war declarations. How did he do before you tango? I mean did someone else attacked him? The only times I have seen him get anal and start an autocracy spree is when he gets attacked or insulted.

Even though I always use random personalities, Elizabeth never fails to hurl insults at me. I don't think I've ever made a DoF with her, because she's never asked.

I have a big book of grudges , there's only a few leaders i don't plan to destroy. The rest leave you with no choice . Unless i'm going for culture win were i try to be the grey man.

WOW! I have never seen him act like that. Then again I always deny outright their requests for war declarations. How did he do before you tango? I mean did someone else attacked him? The only times I have seen him get anal and start an autocracy spree is when he gets attacked or insulted.

He was perfectly cool with me as long as Spain acted as a buffer between his empire and mine. His first denouncement was when I captured Kyoto. After that, he stole some land with a GG and started with the insults. As soon as he got Manhattan Project he chimed in with the old "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS" schtick. By the time Napoleon backstabbed me, every one of his cities was covered in fallout, mostly from his nukes taking out my bombers stationed in his puppeted cities.

I was playing as 4-city Tradition Babylon so in his eyes I wasn't much of a threat until I took out Oda and Isabella. I had a sizeable empire which bordered both of the biggest runaways in the game. It was a sandwich of death.

There was one particular game where I was backstabbed by Polynesia, and was taken out in an instant (poor planning on my part).

Two games after that, I launch a multi player game, and I find that I spawned near Polynesia. What started there was a 2000 year vicious, bloody war to eliminate each other. I ended it with nukes.

He was perfectly cool with me as long as Spain acted as a buffer between his empire and mine. His first denouncement was when I captured Kyoto. After that, he stole some land with a GG and started with the insults. As soon as he got Manhattan Project he chimed in with the old "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS" schtick. By the time Napoleon backstabbed me, every one of his cities was covered in fallout, mostly from his nukes taking out my bombers stationed in his puppeted cities.

I was playing as 4-city Tradition Babylon so in his eyes I wasn't much of a threat until I took out Oda and Isabella. I had a sizeable empire which bordered both of the biggest runaways in the game. It was a sandwich of death.

:lol:

(un)Surprising(?) the best way to avoid hostilities is to deny any declarations of friendship/denouncements and as is well known, to have no borders.

In my current game I was surrounded and tried said experiment and they left me alone with friendly relations with all except Siam and Germany.

Dunno why everyone dislikes Cathy. We get along fine in every game she is in. Alex however just has to show his stupid face on that prancing horse and he is instantly marked for death and/or humiliation.

Dunno why everyone dislikes Cathy. We get along fine in every game she is in. Alex however just has to show his stupid face on that prancing horse and he is instantly marked for death and/or humiliation.

Give Buchefalus a brake man. He aint responsible for this :lol:

I don't usually hold a grudge against an AI if they're annoying in a single game, as they probably won't be much of a problem in the next. However, I have made my fair share of AI enemies who have caused me trouble on a very consistent basis. They are the Terrible Trio: Catherine, Hiawatha, and Oda Nobunaga.

On the other hand, I'm much more forgiving towards AI if they've either caused me little-to-no trouble in the past or if they're among my favorite leaders (especially my best buddies Washington, Gustavus Adolphus, Kamehameha, and Attila :D ).

This is exactly how I feel when Alex appears. :) The situation isn't usually helped by his numerous insults he hurls at me!

I've come to hate Halie recently. Not because he invades me, but because he keeps trying to kill my religion all the damn time. Even when I tell him to cut that off and says he will, 5 turns later he's back to converting my cities.

What's intriguing about this thread is the undercurrent - why are people holding grudges? Answering one way makes this a rants thread, purely social with no educational value, while answering another way makes it quite informative.

If people hold grudges because of a single or few quasi-random events (had 1 turn to go on Great Library but Attila of all people built it on turn 47/Oda befriends everyone then denounces me, putting all his friends on guarded status with me), then it's good to let off some steam, but adjusting play to accommodate these events is impractical.

But if people are holding grudges because of personality quirks written into the code of the AI, then there's something to be learned from it. For example, something that has occurred too frequently to be coincidental is the behavior of a handful of the more modern civs, the chief offenders being France and America. They feign positive diplomatic relations, possibly coercing you to move your troops to the other side of your empire (which borders a "guarded civ") and then DoW you when you create the opportunity for them. Their poker-tell is when they go from guarded straight to friendly, skipping neutral, for seemingly no reason: this usually indicates that their building and positioning troops to attack you. However, if you maintain a strong borderline with them, they'll keep the false friendship level with you pretty much indefinitely; allowing you to get several research agreements with someone who's quite obviously preparing for war with you. Bismarck usually does the opposite, he'll stay friendly as long as he has no ability to start a war with you, when he gets close, he'll denounce and then you know the wave is coming within 5-10 turns. As far as people disliking Elizabeth, she's basically an honest warmongerer. Another repeat occurrence is meeting the Greeks within the first 15 turns of the game, he'll denounce and throw out taunts when so few turns have passed, he couldn't possibly back it up. Yet, the denouncements can influence other civs initial reactions to you, possibly leading to the oh-so-frequent chain denouncement, which usually mean that you're on your own for the first 150 turns of the game.

Top Bottom