1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else sad they won't play V on release?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Skwink, Sep 13, 2010.

1. VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse Warlord

...Has a Mac user ever played a game on release?

2. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Me too. :(

Consider this is a Civfanatics forum and then these polls:

Thread: Civilization 5 and Steam(works)
    Question: How will the integration of Steam(works) influence your decision on buying Civ5?
    Answer: I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam - 91 votes

Thread: What worries you the most about the Civ 5 yet?
    Question: What annoys you mostly?
    Publishing (Steam, Deluxe edition, DLC). - 151 votes

Add to that the Civfanatics that didn't vote in the polls and/or only posted once on this sub-forum that they wouldn't purchase the game and then disappeared.

I wouldn't call that "a cause no one is interested in". I call that "lost sales".

3. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Europe's retail is terrible. I know at least one small developer that just said screw it and offer digital download only in Europe.

4. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Forums only represent a vocal minority. A very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small minority. It's not a representative of any other population in terms of making business decisions. Those polls aren't of any use to 2K/Firaxis other than telling them that 242 people won't buy Civ 5. You can't infer anything else other than that.

5. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

So would you describe the minority as "very"? :p

Yes, I agree. Forums represent only a small sample of players. My point was that considering this is a Civ-friendly forum the polls show a surprisingly Civ-unfriendly response. 2K has done a fine job of alienating some of their hardest-core Civ supporters - to the point now where they refuse to purchase the next Civ game. That is what you can infer from those numbers.

6. automator

automator King

I'll be waiting a few days, since that week is my girlfriend's last week in the states for a few months. But then I'll have all autumn to go Civ crazy.

7. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

A martyer indeed. We'll all mourn your departur...Ohh, shiny! ;)

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Yeah, but I am waiting to find a cheap copy of Windows. Most are around $180. My grandpa just got a new comp, and once I teach him how to use it, I am going to use his old one.

VainApocalypse: not %100 sure, but Starfox II?

9. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I have a good system but I know that someone wants to purchase it for me. I am ok waiting as I wanted to upgrade from a E8400 core2duo to an I-960.

While I am waiting you all can tell me how the perfomance is for a quad core. I would suppose that it is faster.

10. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I'm not going to have the game at release. Mainly because of the international release date plus the fact Steam/2K are asking for $80 US for that privilege. I can get the game for about 37USD delivered if I can wait 10 or so days for shipping.

I'm happy for you guys getting the game, but I don't buy into the hype. Personally I see little need to get caught up in the hysteria at release, even though I sort of did that with BtS.

I'm fairly sure I'll get the game, but the advantage of having a later release date is I'll get the impressions from others first, like Auncien, before making the decision to buy.

11. migkillertwo

migkillertwo Prince

not really cuz I WILL be playing on release. That makes only 2 good things about living in OH
    1: I can play games before the rest of the world, and
    2: I live in a swing state so I can vote and feel like I'm actually making a difference

12. cccv

cccv King

I am sad. But not sad enough to let them twist my arm into paying 10 dollars for Babylon and risk finding out that it will either be released as reasonably-priced DLC later or released with an expansion I'll end up buying anyway, making me pay for it again to get the expansion.

I can wait. I'd love to be playing the game in 8 days, but I can wait.

13. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I never buy games at the super marked up release price. I'll wait till its cheaper.

14. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

I wasnt going to buy it because of Steam but I'm not sad..the fanbios will test it for us..and I think they will find it lacking compared to Civ4. I think various changes meant to make things easier for the masses will annoy the loyal fanbase and it will not be popular after the honeymoon period..better for us civ4 players as there are some really good ideas that will likely get mod'd into civ 4.

I think its is important to note that "firaxis" and whatever that represents these days gave the finger to ~50% of its present customer base with the Steam choice. I got a feeling that the Steam/internet generation kiddos they were hoping to replace "us" with wont show..maybe will have a fulcrum shift and civ6 will be single player microfest.

15. Charybdis

Charybdis Scion Doomgiver

I'll be on a plane at the time of EB opening their doors, so I have to wait until Sun/Mon depending on whether the Mrs picks up my preorder while I'm away for the weekend.

Unless...

Perhaps they'll give it to me on Thursday if I promise to be good! I am their security guard so perhaps...

16. Fizticks

Fizticks Chieftain

Know whats better than lan parties? LogMeIn Hamachi XD its great playing lan games across the country (which this software allows you to do)

17. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

I'm torn... on release Civ V is very likely to be a skeleton game with bugs as an added option, just like Civ IV. I do NOT like the Steam requirement, I don't want their client snooping my computer's files. My computer is not likely to run it either.

On the other hand, I want to play with my friends and they will start modding immediately, I want to be part of that. If the game shows promise, I will probably buy it and hope about the computer being good enough and maybe learn the basics to be ready to play with my friends.

I'll be looking into the demo, not sure yet if I will purchase the game.

18. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Have you ever heard of Blizzard?

Anyway I'm not sad, I'm angry about Firaxis and their dinky wait and see approach to Mac porting.

19. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Very much, yes. A friend of mine throws a party that night, so I will have to go there for at last a bit. I do not think that saying ' I know this will be our last few days together and everything since you will be having a kid and asl, but I will skip it to play civ 5 instead' will sir well with him.

20. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

Just because a gamer is alienated doesnt mean the developer did anything bad. Besides, so what if a few people dont put in 50$ and probably will torrent it. Steam will make a huge turn in profit for Civ V.

If you dont torrent it but still not buy it because of Steam, without having ******** reasons for doing so, I (and the rest of the community) will miss you guys