Anyone still playing this? (possible GOTM)

Socrates-

Warlord
Hey Guys,

Just started playing Civ IV & Colonization again. Happy to discover that the civfanatics are still an active community. Anyone still playing Civ IV Colonization?

I just won my first game after several unsuccessful attempts to gain independence and was wondering if some of you are interested in starting a series like GOTM for Civ-Col?

Cheers,

I'm playing Religion and Revolution 2.5, two simultaneous games. It's a long time since I've played Civ IV Colonization unmodded. I recall that, in the original, building enough Ships of the Line to match the King's first attack, which is 1/4 of the royal fleet, would sink the King's melee forces before they landed. You need enough great generals or admirals to give each of your ships two promotions so they'll survive the original attack.

The modded games have been trickier. In TAC the native people kill you if you look at them crossways, which historically probably would have been a good attitude. I find R and R needs relearning with each version but the war dynamic seems more balanced.

The problem with a game of the month is that I don't get through an R and R game in one month. I enjoy the complexity but it does take time. Maybe 2.6 will be a simpler mod that keeps the balance. For example, I think hemp for rope and sailcloth makes a lot of sense as do the sailing conditions. Fine furniture and different grades of fur are good historically but for gameplay, not so much.

Games of the month are mainly about maps. It's a lot of work, coming up with a good map. If I saw one posted I might play but designing a map is not likely something I'd try myself.

Playing Vanilla myself. Maybe around eight games per. year.

I played mod TAC for some time until I found out about mod RAR. Great mod! Changed the game experience for me. I don't see myself getting back to vanilla after RAR.

Still playing. Mostly RaR, but wife wanted to do play MP, and she couldn't take the complexity of RaR, and having played Vanilla to start didn't want to relearn the buttons and such for TAC.

I also still play on RAR mod.

Actually, I've stopped playing Civilization games after being unconvinced about Civ5, I haven't even tried Civ6. The thing I enjoy a lot about Civ4Col and RAR especially is that it focuses on economical aspects in Empire building. This leads to a game being somewhat more "realistic" than Civ in depicting what it depicts.

RAR is fabulous. I really love its depth, even though that means very long games as a result, it really gives a feeling of achievement.

As a matter of fact, I believe there is a huge potential in the concept. I secretly dream that one day someone from the gaming industry would find out about RAR and create a whole new game inspired about it.

I'm still playing Colonization 1 !
Anyone still playing this? I somehow prefer this than the Civ IV: Colonization version

Not only still playing, but I started playing this game as late as in April 2019. Really good game, I like it. For now I'm comfortable on Pioneer level and have won some games as Dutch and English on Explorer difficulty.

Hey Folks, Im glad I found some people still play this. Im looking to download a playable version fo the modpack Age of Discovery? Do you gusy have that? Or even better is there a better modpack outther that is updated? Thank you.

I play TAC. I tried RAR but I hate the complexity. Its needlessly complex just for its own sake. So many good things like graphics and bug fixes but so many unneeded ones too that drag the game down.

Top Bottom