[NFP] Apocalypse Mode

, I have seen attacks on wargames because players "get points for killing American soldiers".
Why should Fraxis care? They aren't the audience. They sound like Boomers who say "video games kill and turn kids into mindless zombies. " These people won't buy the game regardless if it has plague features. They just like to attack games.

In case it's not blindingly obvious, it's all about the optics. Of course the gaming community doesn't mind a bit. It's the risk of negative publicity for Firaxis in the lower reaches of the non-gaming press. Believe me, I have seen attacks on wargames because players "get points for killing American soldiers". An extreme case of idiocy. But it's why Firaxis might want to be cautious.
I'm sure there are more pressing things in the world right now that they would rather like to cover than a computer game trying to implement plagues in the game, which ironically it already has in a scenario.

Besides the whole Aztecs are able to acquire slaves was definitely looked over.

I'm sure there are more pressing things in the world right now that they would rather like to cover than a computer game trying to implement plagues in the game, which ironically it already has in a scenario.

I agree with you. But the fact that some people on the comunity thinks It may be problematic, means some people on FXS may think the same way.

I hope is not the case, but we have to admit this is a real posibility.

Do I think it would be a problem?, no!, and I hope we get the content. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I

But slavery as such is not implemented as a mechanic, which I think it was in some previous iteration of Civ. According to Aristotle, slavery was essential to civilisation being possible. But I don't think Firaxis would like to include the slave trade as a general mechanic in the current climate. Yes, it was historical, yes, it's just a game and there are more important things in the world, it's just in rather poor taste.

Speaking of which, another cultural flashpoint these days is caricatures of non-white people (featuring what's considered to be ethnic physiognomy) by white artists. On the whole, considering that Civ VI's leader portrayals are definitely caricatures, I think they have done a pretty good job of steering away from anything that might be considered offensive by anyone, and I'm sure that a lot of thought went into that. The one failure, IMO, is Qin Shi Huang. Some leader depictions are really grossly caricature, like Pedro and Robert, others look reasonably like real people. Which is why one of my favourite leaders is Peter - he definitely looks like someone you might meet, though I would place him as a Greek rather than a Russian.

Back to the topic of Apocalypse mode, does anyone know the answers to these questions about how the game functions after the apocalypse starts:

How many turns do solar flares last?
Does running the IZ project power a city even during a solar flare?
Can soothsayers call down meteors and destroy entire cities?

Apologies if some of these have been answered earlier in the thread but I couldn't find them.

A random thought I while playing a normal, non-apocalyptic game... After researching Computers, I browsed my cities as usual to see where Flood Barriers are necessary - and found one, where I'm able to built it solely because of the city center tile being lowland (which makes this option questionable, as the city tile itself is immune to getting flooded):

Spoiler :
OnlyCityTileLowland.jpg

For a moment I was about to file a bug report (because of the potential trap potential for new players or the AI), but then decided against. Apart from wonder tiles with wonders causing the same issue, I realized that the way it works currently could easily be used to spice up Apocalypse mode even more:

What about rising sea levels in Apocalypse mode being able to destroy the cities itself, too?

As someone who hasn't touched this mode (yet), I'm probably not the right person to judge if such a change is desirable, but from outside it looks like an idea fans of this mode might at least consider. Drowning of entire cities because of rising sea levels would still be a disaster you could prevent by floods barriers (compared to cosmic bombardment randomly extincting cties without any chance of protection) and could act as its own chapter before the final disaster.

But as said, feel free to shoot this down - the least thing I want to do is ruin the fun for others in a mode I don't use :)

Last edited:
I realized I havent seen the new Natural Wonders outside of Apocalypse Mode games.

So are they for that mode only or do they spawn in normal games too?

I realized I havent seen the new Natural Wonders outside of Apocalypse Mode games.

So are they for that mode only or do they spawn in normal games too?

They spawn in normal games, too. I had the Bermuda Triangle in one of my games.

I had three aid emergencies trigger on the same turn:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

With a WC session in between, it was a DV 30 turns later.
However, it feels like cheating, like you're supposed to run a marathon, but take a shortcut half a distance.

Is such a cluster of aid emergencies supposed to happen at all? Devs seem to have said that they tried to space out emergencies.
Or maybe it would be worth to halve the DV points from aid emergencies, from 2 to 1 on Apocalypse mode? Now for the second time out of two my Apocalypse game ends midgame, or so it feels.

Finally got to Climate Change level VII in a multiplayer game (somehow AI got us there by turn 200 or so on quick) and I gotta say it’s nuts. There’s a comet strike every other turn and it’s pretty awesome.

Hard to get there on single player but in multiplayer it’s definitely possible. And it’s pretty dope.

I only wish that they could have ocean levels keep rising indefinitely (as in have stages beyond 7). That would have made it even more intense!

Am I the only one who feels comets eradicating complete cities is too harsh? I never used mods before, but I guess this will be an exception, since I want to use features from this mod, because all other features are actually fine and would ad up as part of multi-part expansion, rather than scenario-like mode.

No, it is actually harsh, but also it is insanely fun. Comet strikes are the best of the mode. And they happen so late that they actually not stop your progress, I'm kind in love with that side of the mode.

Agreed! In deity, apocalypse mode usually catches up with me near the science end-game. There it adds a new challenge, since it slows down science victory but brings more opportunities for others to win diplomatic victory - which I rarely pursue. In fact my last game I almost won diplomatic victory while chasing science.

Cities getting completely eradicated is a bit extreme, but it is interesting to see parts of the land go back to their natural state (well, except for strike zones) as cities get obliterated...

Finally got to Climate Change level VII in a multiplayer game (somehow AI got us there by turn 200 or so on quick) and I gotta say it’s nuts. There’s a comet strike every other turn and it’s pretty awesome.

Hard to get there on single player but in multiplayer it’s definitely possible. And it’s pretty dope.

I only wish that they could have ocean levels keep rising indefinitely (as in have stages beyond 7). That would have made it even more intense!

The climate change itself is a problem in the mode. As it has been integrated terribly wrong with the mode.
  • Climate change triggering commet strikes makes no sense. Commets solar flares and meteorites should be independent from climate change and commets should have a separated countdown.
  • Comets should not erase magically climate change or all others disasters from happening.
  • Volcanoes should not wildly change as the game goes on to make room to other disasters.
  • There should be a sense of progression in disasters towards the apocalypse.
  • Disasters should be less about quantity and more about scale. And the player should not be spending half the game clicking the repair button.
  • Disasters should have more effects that forcing you to repair. Plagues (plague scenario), zombie plagues (RD) and alien invasions (RD), should be added to the mode.
  • Districts should allow to cue repairs.
  • Workers should have an auto repair option.
  • The aid request should be limited.
The soothsayers would require a different post to ralk about, since nothing about them works. The appease the gods competition should decide who will be a victim of a plague. They should be changed to work as a weapon and not to autobuf yourself with disasters, a modern model should be added to replace the ancient one in moddern times...

Last edited:
I <3 Apocalypse mode. Does climate change leading to comets make sense? No, but who cares - I get what they’re after though it’s just the trigger used to unleash the apocalypse mode.

Civ has always had a huge problem with a lackluster end game that’s just a series of end turns. At least the comets serve to spice it up a bit - losing a whole city or watching your rival’s capital get randomly evaporated is just plain fun. It doesn’t have to make sense - it’s the freaking Apocalypse!

I <3 Apocalypse mode. Does climate change leading to comets make sense? No, but who cares - I get what they’re after though it’s just the trigger used to unleash the apocalypse mode.

Civ has always had a huge problem with a lackluster end game that’s just a series of end turns. At least the comets serve to spice it up a bit - losing a whole city or watching your rival’s capital get randomly evaporated is just plain fun. It doesn’t have to make sense - it’s the freaking Apocalypse!

... Why are you posting this?.

I certainly care, and Im not the only one. Ergo your comment is false.

The existence of the commets is not the problem, the problem integrating them in the game in the most lazy and idiotic way possible, when it would be equally easy to integrate them without contradicting all we know about the rules of reality.

I get it, you don't care about logic or sense in the mode. Others do. Are you saying that a system that could be well integrated in a way that makes sense, should not make sanse because you say so? Why is not making sense better than making sense? Why are you opposed to correcting a current problem of the game?

Sincerely I don't understand why you posted this, nobody has argued that commets should be removed. I argued that comments should have a separated countdown.

To assume that your opinion of not caring about how the system is integrated is the only one in the community is wrong and self centric.

The real question is why are you trying to shut down the voices of other players that are exposing a valid critizism about the game?

Let me tell you a very easy way to address the problem, that apparently you oppose to.

- Discovery of astronomy leads to the discovery of a masive commet storm heading Earth that will impact in a said turn. The game would them have a countdown to the apocalypse that does not require the triggering of global warming and would be adjusted as a game option to happen in a specific world era.
  • With this change, players can experience the final stage, if they want, regardless regardless the global warming, allowing most people that ends the game before the final stage to experience it.
  • Realism and Immersion is preserved.
  • Adds the tension and strategy of facing the commet rain in better or worse condition according to your decissions regarding the global warming.

Last edited:
... Why are you posting this?.

I certainly care, and Im not the only one. Ergo your comment is false.

The existence of the commets is not the problem, the problem integrating them in the game in the most lazy and idiotic way possible, when it would be equally easy to integrate them without contradicting all we know about the rules of reality.

I get it, you don't care about logic or sense in the mode. Others do. Are you saying that a system that could be well integrated in a way that makes sense, should not make sanse because you say so? Why is not making sense better than making sense? Why are you opposed to correcting a current problem of the game?

Sincerely I don't understand why you posted this, nobody has argued that commets should be removed. I argued that comments should have a separated countdown.

To assume that your opinion of not caring about how the system is integrated is the only one in the community is wrong and self centric.

The real question is why are you trying to shut down the voices of other players that are exposing a valid critizism about the game?

Let me tell you a very easy way to address the problem, that apparently you oppose to.

- Discovery of astronomy leads to the discovery of a masive commet storm heading Earth that will impact in a said turn. The game would them have a countdown to the apocalypse that does not require the triggering of global warming and would be adjusted as a game option to happen in a specific world era.
  • With this change, players can experience the final stage regardless if the want regardless the global warming, allowing most people that ends the game before the final stage to experience it.
  • Realism and Immersion is preserved.
  • Adds the tension and strategy of facing the commet rain in better or worse condition according to your decissions regarding the global warming.
Umm, the poster said nothing to shut down your opinion. "Who cares?" is an English idiom that means that the speaker doesn't care. They were celebrating their enjoyment of the way the comets mess with the end game. They said nothing to denigrate your dislike of the implementation.

I agree with you that climate change shouldn't trigger comets, but I'm fine with others enjoying it as is.

Umm, the poster said nothing to shut down your opinion. "Who cares?" is an English idiom that means that the speaker doesn't care. They were celebrating their enjoyment of the way the comets mess with the end game. They said nothing to denigrate your dislike of the implementation.

I agree with you that climate change shouldn't trigger comets, but I'm fine with others enjoying it as is.

"who cares?" Is to me, and to the dictionary (I checked) an expression to express that something is irrelavant or unimportant.

I was upset, since I don't see the reason to reply to someone who is concerned about a problem, that said problem is not important.

Im happy to let this stay as a language misunderstanding.

I never expressed in any way that I had any problem with the feature, but instead commented that I actually love it. I also don't have anything to say about the people that enjoys the system despite its flaws.

Regardless, the important part is that those flaws exists, and are only justified by lack of care. We deserve better, and Fxs can and should address it.

Last edited:
Wow so your response to my opinion is “why are you even here”.... real nice.

It’s a game, have fun with it.

Top Bottom