1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Apocalypse Mode

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by OmegaDestroyer, May 21, 2020.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Is there any reason why we can't go with more realistic earthquakes or tsunamis? Or pandemic/plagues? :mischief:

I do like the idea of the loser getting attacked by a natural disaster, but not by a kaiju.

I feel like the Apocalypse mode shouldn't be as customizable and predictable, considering you will be facing an apocalypse. That's just how I feel personally and don't mind the disaster setting always at 4.

Kupe Navigator likes this.
  2. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

The yelling doesn't in any way make your opinion better than other's... wish you'd stop the rudeness

3. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

It is just ludicrous. He might as well as ask for sauron to appear.

4. bitula

bitula Prince

Am I the only one who feels comets eradicating complete cities is too harsh? I never used mods before, but I guess this will be an exception, since I want to use features from this mod, because all other features are actually fine and would ad up as part of multi-part expansion, rather than scenario-like mode.

5. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Earthquakes would be quite hard to implement well, and the overall effect would be similar to volcanoes, except you wouldn't see them coming. Damage to buildings, loss of population (but no fertilised tiles). Same with tsunamis, but restricted to coastal tiles. On the other hand, earthquakes could cause more population loss that other disasters.

Now is probably not the best time to introduce plagues.

On a separate note, AFAIK the effect of meteor strikes is supposed to be that if you enter the impacted hex, you get a free military unit, the strongest you are able to build. In my experience you always get a heavy chariot, even when you could build something better.

6. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

The meteor strike acts like a tribal village with 5 exp reward for recon units, and in my experience always gives the most powerful heavy cavalry class unit for that era, so chariots until ME then knights, etc.

You can get a chariot before researching wheel yourself. I'm 99% sure you can get a knight before stirrups too. Not sure if you get a tank that it comes with 1 oil/turn but I doubt it.

7. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

Why not? If you wouldn't have plagues you probably shouldn't have introduced viocanic eruption either...

Alexander's Hetaroi and oSiyeza like this.
  8. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

The point is again, you want the disaster level always on 4, cool. What about the rest of the people? How the hability of changing an option affect your preference of not doing it?

This is a bit like argue, I dont feel the map should be predictable so I think map types and sizes should not be there, all random... In practise it is a self defeating premise, since options increase variety, they don't reduce it.

Also there is an important pragmatic consideration here, Firaxis has not been able to balance properly how many disasters there are, primarly due to the number of volcanoes and the 1 disaster per turn limit, which depending on the age of the Earth can simply overload the game in a weird way. The game needs a active volcano slider to be simply consistent. And this option will take just 5 minutes to add. More options in how to create your game will only bring benefits. I don't think this is even a matter of opinion.

It was only an Idea. Actually taken from Sim City 1, the direct inspiration of Civilization. It could be other thing. But I thing It would be cool and fun. Pretty much cause it fits the appease the Gods concept better than a traditional disaster.

But I agree that is a bit out of the box, so why not use something that is already in a scenario and also makes sense, tie them to plagues from the plague scenario.

Now, I'm all for tsunamies and quakes, I think I asked for those in at least 10 different posts. The point is, those would be very hard to implement, and would still use probably tha same damage-repair mechanic of all the other disasters. The alien/zombie thing is actually already there in the RD mode, so it will be easy to add without spending dev resurces. It will spice a lot the disasters, and as I think you should disable/enable specific disasters, there is simply no reason to not add them.

Regarding pandemics and plagues, as said before, Im up there with you guy. Give me that please.

Also, Im aware that many people does not like the use of non realistic elements into the game. My opinion here is that I think an virus landing on Earth inside a meteor, or an Thing/Andromeda Strain like scenario, is actually a more plausible scenario than an UFO alien invasion, and still both are more realistic that the religious combat lightning war. The difference is that those mechanics can be actually funny and benefit the game, and the religious combat is not. I acknolwedge the need of them being optional, and tied to game modes outside the main one. But im also firmly convinced the game would be better with them.

No, it is actually harsh, but also it is insanely fun. Comet strikes are the best of the mode. And they happen so late that they actually not stop your progress, I'm kind in love with that side of the mode.

pokiehl likes this.
  9. Alexander's Hetaroi

They released forest fires just fine and I don't hear Australia complaining about it.

Hopefully they would reveal other resources afterwards or change the landscape somehow.

I don't always want the disaster level on 4. But when I play the Apocalypse mode, it seems like it should be a given when playing with a doomsday scenario. That's all I'm trying to say.

I expect them to be modded in now that those are in the Red Death. Aliens and Zombies work out for that mode.

I mean that sounds plausible and would take that, as in a possible virus landing in a meteorite.

oSiyeza likes this.
  10. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Yep, we were in the same page. What I mean is, even If I agree with you, maybe I want it on 5 all the time, or maybe I think is too much and 3 is enough for me. Even in the context of the mode, this makes sense.

Imagine if I could tune the game to create exactly whatever extreme (or not) experience I want. For example if I want comet strikes and solar flares happening in every era, but im bored as hell of volcanoes, so i decide I will play without them. Imagine if I can tune the global warming to flood the entire planet, or have a once in a while a hurricane the size of a continent. Imagine being able to disable aid requests or sootsayers...Those options would make the apocalypse mode a much more rich, varied and fun experience. Yet they would be almost free in terms of developer cost, and would not change one bit the default experience.

Even in the context of the mode, and I would argue specially in the context of the mode. Giving players the options to create what they want, instead of being stuck with the default numbers can only benefit the players, and as a result, can only make the game better.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Nearly 130,000 Americans have died of Covid-19 this year. How many died of volcanoes? Introducing plagues now opens up Firaxis as a target for a certain sort of journalism: "The company that makes a game of pandemics as Americans suffer!" Believe me, this can happen, and Firaxis may not want to take the risk. Yes I know there are other games that feature pandemics, but Civ is higher profile.

12. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

Sooooo... just because there is pandemic going on all medias should not have illness or plague as their context? That is called censorship. What harm will having plague feature do to victims of covid 19? What benefit will not having plague feature do to victims of covid 19. Will not having plague feature will somehow make covid 19 dissappear? Those who complain are whimps and complainers who complain about everything. They are same people who say police should be removed from every cartoon because of police brutality that is going on in America.

Also I think should you add people died from forest fires, vocanios, and floods it should topple deaths of covid 19.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    oSiyeza and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Actually many "Pandemic" style shows, movies and games have become more popular recently.
    The popular Pandemic Board game released a print and play version for free online recently in May, and I would say they are very high profile in the gaming community.

Kupe Navigator likes this.
  14. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

heck if Civ 6 team is too afraid of offending people but want to insert plague system there is a simple solution... don't name it COVID 19. Just say general "plague" e.g say "city of Athens has been stricken by the plague." or if you want to be more historically accurate use past epidemics- like Spanish flue, or black death.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  15. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm sure if they put them in the game the names would be customizable like the promoted units and rock bands, at least I would hope so.

oSiyeza and Kupe Navigator like this.
  16. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

This strikes me as the kind of thing that fills the media these days. Not that people is shutting down voices that offend them. Is people shutting down voices that they perceive they could be offensive for some other people that actually do not care.

It is just a veiled form of complacency and paternalistic behavior on claiming the victimhood of others. So the problem is not the content, is the fear of a public that just looks for targets to denounce. The fear of censorship is now the actual censorship.

I just hope that firaxis is brave enough to just give the players what they want. But, wallet investors and fear is a bad combination.

One thing they could do is do a poll with different things they can add on next DLCs. I think diseases would be very higher on the list because of the current context, not lower.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  17. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

True... I want to play a similation on how I could've prevent plagues similar to covid 19.

Myomoto likes this.
  18. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

If they can't make it (diseases) a serious game mode, then make it cute and fun with an orange guy being the causing unit.

19. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

I would be happy enough if they port the plague mechanics somewhat tunned and expanded from the scenario, and they add the zombies from RD as a plague disaster less realistic event.

Nerevatar likes this.
  20. Abaxial

Abaxial King

In case it's not blindingly obvious, it's all about the optics. Of course the gaming community doesn't mind a bit. It's the risk of negative publicity for Firaxis in the lower reaches of the non-gaming press. Believe me, I have seen attacks on wargames because players "get points for killing American soldiers". An extreme case of idiocy. But it's why Firaxis might want to be cautious.

But yes, the mechanics could be interesting - consider, for instance, once a city is infected, the disease would be inclined to spread along trade routes. Something that would actively discourage sending traders to certain cities would be novel.

Myomoto likes this.