Ara: History Untold

Sappho as a choice for leading Greece is weird, considering she never held any political power, and it's not as if Greece has a dearth of leader options similar to Nefertiti or George Washington. Even if the developers are going for 'important cultural figures as leaders' (which is fine by me) there are more obvious choices for Greece such as Archimedes, Plato, Homer etc. The cynical part of me (which is admittedly the greater part of me) sees it as a marketing ploy influenced by the ideological trend on the Internet...

But that isn't the point. What's the point is that Sappho's inclusion can become a precedence for similar figures to lead civilizations, something that we might not see in the Civilization series considering how the ideas of 'leader' and 'political figure' are inextricably linked in the series. So we can expect – and should expect – more unconventional leader choices in 'Ara'. I've drawn up a list of possible candidates that probably wouldn't make it into Civ but wouldn't be out of place in Ara:

Ferdowsi - Persia
Leonardo da Vinci - Italy
Voltaire - France
Juana Inés de la Cruz - Mexico
Richard Wagner - Germany
Edgar Allan Poe - America
Rabindranath Tagore - India/Bengal
Fernando Pessoa - Portugal
Rembrandt - Netherlands

Sappho as a choice for leading Greece is weird, considering she never held any political power, and it's not as if Greece has a dearth of leader options similar to Nefertiti or George Washington. Even if the developers are going for 'important cultural figures as leaders' (which is fine by me) there are more obvious choices for Greece such as Archimedes, Plato, Homer etc. The cynical part of me (which is admittedly the greater part of me) sees it as a marketing ploy influenced by the ideological trend on the Internet...

But that isn't the point. What's the point is that Sappho's inclusion can become a precedence for similar figures to lead civilizations, something that we might not see in the Civilization series considering how the ideas of 'leader' and 'political figure' are inextricably linked in the series. So we can expect – and should expect – more unconventional leader choices in 'Ara'. I've drawn up a list of possible candidates that probably wouldn't make it into Civ but wouldn't be out of place in Ara:

Ferdowsi - Persia
Leonardo da Vinci - Italy
Voltaire - France
Juana Inés de la Cruz - Mexico
Richard Wagner - Germany
Edgar Allan Poe - America
Rabindranath Tagore - India/Bengal
Fernando Pessoa - Portugal
Rembrandt - Netherlands
Nuclear Nehru?

I can mainly see the 7 tweets of the thread. What problems do you see?
No problems per se. The thread lists people who don't appear as leaders but rather as 'Paragons', the equivalent of Great Persons in Civ. The reason I'm disappointed is because most of these people would fit into my list of 'culturally important figures who weren't leaders/rulers'. This implies that Ara is distinguishing between leaders and non-leaders, and non-leaders will be represented as civilian units in game. So much for my being excited about non-political leaders.

Wildlife coming to Ara.

Also, this banger of a reply from the Ara Twitter account:
Screenshot_2023-05-19-23-32-49-446-edit_com.twitter.android.jpg

Attachments

• ebdc5b4508b2dd9facf175b4021aab8f72ca634b.png
    ebdc5b4508b2dd9facf175b4021aab8f72ca634b.png
    3 MB · Views: 910
Biomes in Ara:

Also, some more screenshots:

View attachment 663076
Looks like America in the top-right

View attachment 663077
No idea who this is

POLAND??!
So here's the thing: in the American screenshot we have a region called 'Memphis', in the Polish one a region named 'Głogów', and the second one has a region named 'Bale'. Any idea what that could be?

Introducing Independent Settlements, Ara's take on city-states:

View attachment 667819
Whose emblem is that in the top right?
It looks very much like one that be associated with modern Armenia, at a glance and a guess.

Top Bottom