Holy Thern.......................Matai Sheng
Lotharians.......................Tario
Orovar...........................Ho Ran Kim

- other Barsoomians

The Firstborn....................Jeddak Doxos

The Kaldanes......................King Luud

Misfortune (Barbarians)

24 Civs in all.

The Mahar have both Pellucidar and Barsoomian branches (their units are resource-dependent)

There are a lot of Barsoom Civs, but only the Green Martians have settlers until the fourth era. Barsoom Civs cannot trade techs.

The LoG unit "John Carter" begins the game on Barsoom, and must survive there alone until he is "rescued". If he can capture the Temple of Iss and rescue Dejah Thoris from the Holy Thern, she will upgrade into a Transporter Pad unit.

I thought the Fulani Empire and Sokoto Caliphate (or possibly Sultanate to be more accurate) were roughly the same entity. According to my Times Atlas of World History there was a Fulani-Jihad proclaimed by Uthman dan Fodio in 1804 that led to the emergence of the Sultanate of Sokoto. This existed until the British invaded Nigeria in the 1890s.

I have Abyssinia in there already.

It would be nice to represent the Zulu as a separate civ so I might well ditch Madagascar. However, Madagascar itself has quite a nice history and wasn't fully conquered until late 1800s by the French.

If I made a straight swap of Zulu for Madagascar I could keep the African Tribes (excluding the Zulu) or put in one other pre-partition power. I'll need to think about that one.

And a very nice atlas it is too. Great for dipping in and out of or just to look at the colourful maps. It's a 3rd edition copy, I bought it about 18 years ago so they may well have revised things by now - still I trust it more than Wikipedia.

I'm going to lobby again for Emperor Norton as the USA LH. No other real-world American politician could touch him for Steampunkitude.

I'm going to bow to your all powerful lobbying Blue Monkey :)

I will make a space for Emperor Norton but not as leader of USA but as a distinct civ based around San Francisco. I just need to come up with a convincing back story and decide whether to drop Brunei or Madagascar. His appearance should make for some interesting dynamics in the Americas.

I'm going to bow to your all powerful lobbying Blue Monkey :)

I will make a space for Emperor Norton but not as leader of USA but as a distinct civ based around San Francisco. I just need to come up with a convincing back story and decide whether to drop Brunei or Madagascar. His appearance should make for some interesting dynamics in the Americas.
California, and maybe Gadson Purchase territories, or Texas Republic, secede in disgust over the whole North/South Slavery/States' Rights/Civil War thing, carefully keeping neutrality until war's end. Maybe they get good relations with the Pacific Rim civs because of all the Chinese that came to build the railroads. Knowing Emperor Norton the civ would end up with a weird name like "Libertarian Empire of the Pacific" or something. Or it might be named "Bummerania-Lazarustia" after the dogs that he was associated with.

You only have 30 civs- you can fit one more in without deleting a thing! (I swear I posted this, with the suggestion of Tibet? I guess not...)

The 31st civ is taken up by a 'secret' civ - actually not so secret if you go hunting in the other threads of this subforum.

Ok I made some changes for fun.

Out go Brunei, Korea and Madagascar. In come California, The Secret Evil Society and the Zulu. The 31st civ are the Selenites. Latin America was renamed Gran Colombia. All is evident if you look in the reposted biq.

The Secret Evil Society is headed by Fu Manchu with their HQ in the NE China, another location in the Gobi desert, an uncharted Pacific island and Transylvania. This civ will work completely differently from the other 'nation' civs in that they will be dependent on character units (Dr. Frankenstein, Dracula, Dr Moreau, Captain Nemo etc) and feature some unique units, improvements and wonders that only they can employ. I had thought of another such civ to counter them a Secret Society of Gentlemen (who may or may not be extraordinary) but decided against it and instead will incorporate some of those ideas as special units for the nation civs.

Fantastic! Clearly the Secret Society of Gentleman should be a Wonder (perhaps Small Wonder, to permit branches throughout the world?). An idea: it may be possible to have this Wonder churn out Gentleman units which can then be upgraded to various hero characters. This would require clever tinkering but I believe it could be done if you wanted.

Makes me think of a Dr Jekyll unit which transforms into Mr Hyde in order to attack. Although if I remember correctly, in the book Mr Hyde is actually smaller than Dr Jekyll, so this would be a counter-productive move, but I don't care.

Fantastic! Clearly the Secret Society of Gentleman should be a Wonder (perhaps Small Wonder, to permit branches throughout the world?). An idea: it may be possible to have this Wonder churn out Gentleman units which can then be upgraded to various hero characters. This would require clever tinkering but I believe it could be done if you wanted.

Makes me think of a Dr Jekyll unit which transforms into Mr Hyde in order to attack. Although if I remember correctly, in the book Mr Hyde is actually smaller than Dr Jekyll, so this would be a counter-productive move, but I don't care.

Great idea. I will include the Secret Society of Gentlemen as a small wonder. This will spawn Gentlemen with the upgrade path evolving as the techs progress. I can also use the Society wonder as a prerequisite for buildings and wonders further along the tech tree.

A Jekyll/Hide unit would be great. Invisible Men is another I thought of.

Just to expand upon this idea. It may be possible to have this play out as a scenario within a scenario with large nation states vying for global power and smaller special units fighting each other for key sites and battling the Selenites.

The way I see this working is to make jungle, mountains and marsh impassable to wheeled units. Only the gentlemen, Fu Manchu minions, Explorers and Workers will be able to cross this terrain. This is where the Selenite bases will be in their crashed saucers. I think this can work especially with the map I'm using.

Sounds good! :goodjob:

although I do prefer the sound of the Secret Society of Gentlemen civ ;)...
They would, after all, be one of the few truly civilized societies.:p

Edit: Such a society ought, of course, to include Phileas Fogg. Some of these gentlemen might also be considered as precursors (backstory or first era).

They would, after all, be one of the few truly civilized societies.:p

Edit: Such a society ought, of course, to include Phileas Fogg. Some of these gentlemen might also be considered as precursors (backstory or first era).

I'll have to read The Other Log of Phileas Fogg, it sounds fantastic. The Marvel 1602 sounds interesting but a bit weirder. You sure do come up with some cracking stuff Blue Monkey.:goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom