ARCHIVED: Fun Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's splendid HT, please pass on my thanks and assure him that he will be fully credited. Great to know we have such esteemed lurkers too.

Another one of Datamancer's steampunk computers - a laptop - made it to Technovelgy.com. Be sure to check out the 1600-1899 section of their timeline of when inventions were first mentioned in fiction.

Oh yeah, best for last, there's a guy who's using twin Tesla coils as stereo speakers. Not to power the audio, the coils are the speakers. I guess we'll have to add Surround Sound as a tech. And add Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" to the soundtrack.

Now that I think about it, probably only Tesla coils could drown out the noise of a clacking kinotrope. Apropos of which, here's a link to the Difference Dictionary.

Edit: And here's a goof about the entertainment offered on the Titanic. Maybe in a SteamPunk world they too would have used a clacking kinotrope.

My God, what's their carbon footprint?
You mean the audiophile Tesla coils? I would think ozone would be a bigger issue than CO2. Of course they could grab power from the aether as Tesla originally intended.

Just thought I'd mention the Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana, even though I'm sure a lot of you have already heard of it. I borrowed it from a local library. It's a guide to the fantastic literature written roughly during the period, written by the same fellow who wrote those guides to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. If nothing else it could be a source for plenty of GL names. Look up "Electric Bob"'s entry for example. Maybe he'd be a good choice for a Science Advisor head.

I'm truly chagrined by my multi-postings. On the gripping hand, I refuse to slow my pace until I find one worthy of a comment. Even a Bronx Cheer.

Came across an interesting contemporary image of Countess Ada Lovelace working out the maths for Babbage's Difference Engine. I'm not sure if it's an engraving or a woodcut:

Spoiler :

That woodcut of Ada Lovelace is cool...

Here is proof that sometimes old-school technology totally PWNZ new-fangled crap. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom