Are District Projects Worth It?

CivLuvah

Deity
I always see that the district projects always take around 15 turns to complete, at least in my game, in my capital. Are they worth it? I know they give bonus yields and great person points.... but are they worth the production cost?

In multiplayer, encampment projects are massively OP.

They are indeed.

For example a science project will generate lots of extra science and if you are in a science race then this helps you get ahead a lot.
In a culture victory, getting all your culture buildings in place and then racing through the civic tree with culture projects really speeds things up.
Encampment already stated.
Then you have the gold ones.
On top of that you get Great Person Points (GPP) so a science project attracts great scientists etc

A related question - is it true (read it somewhere) that when you do for example science project which lasts 10 turns, you get increased science every turn (adds to your per-turn science), but the great scientist points are added all together when you finish the project (after 10 turns)?

A related question - is it true (read it somewhere) that when you do for example science project which lasts 10 turns, you get increased science every turn (adds to your per-turn science), but the great scientist points are added all together when you finish the project (after 10 turns)?
.... Yup

The projects are extremely effective. Once you have IZ coverage you can bang them out in <6 turns in most cities. If you run a number of them you can quickly "build" all the GPs you want.

From what I tried, they're essential to a quick Science Victory, helping to rush those Great Scientists until you get to the Information Era ones. Brazil also get good bonuses through their special district.

In my latest Science Victory, I built a huge number of Industrial Zone Projects, ranging between 2 and 4 turns each, due to spamming Industrial Zones and Power Plants to almost every city (I had about 30 or more cities). I was getting 128 Great Engineer points per turn and I'm not sure IZ projects are counted in this rate either, since they are lump sum added when the project ends.

I can say that I was getting a Great Engineer every 5-10 turns, mainly because of the Industrial Zone Projects. It seemed even more frequent, since I was getting huge numbers of Great Scientists and Great Merchants too. Almost every city had a Commercial District and I built no Commercial District Projects, only a handful of Campuses and every such city built Campus Projects too. Yet, I had more Great Scientists than Great Merchants, so the Campus Projects must have been very effective in generating Great Scientists points.

From my experience, Holy Site Prayers are very good when you try to found your own religion and a couple of times it has helped me to win the race for a Great Prophet.

In my latest Science Victory, I built a huge number of Industrial Zone Projects, ranging between 2 and 4 turns each, due to spamming Industrial Zones and Power Plants to almost every city (I had about 30 or more cities). I was getting 128 Great Engineer points per turn and I'm not sure IZ projects are counted in this rate either, since they are lump sum added when the project ends.

I can say that I was getting a Great Engineer every 5-10 turns, mainly because of the Industrial Zone Projects. It seemed even more frequent, since I was getting huge numbers of Great Scientists and Great Merchants too. Almost every city had a Commercial District and I built no Commercial District Projects, only a handful of Campuses and every such city built Campus Projects too. Yet, I had more Great Scientists than Great Merchants, so the Campus Projects must have been very effective in generating Great Scientists points.

In my last game I was churning a Great Scientist every 2 or 3 turns due to 17 cities spamming those projects. Each project taking 1-4 turns depending on the location due to IZ overlap. Even the Information Era ones were quite fast to acquire.

What do they do?

They give you a bit of gold and a handful of great general points. Since great generals stack, you can wreak havoc with a relatively normal army.

In multiplayer, encampment projects are massively OP.

Beyond even the strength of stacked generals....I ran into the most unbelievable thing last night - a Cavalry Army, 84 strength - in the Medieval era. The opponent requested a Medieval start and we started rather isolated despite being on a duel map because 2 City-States were between us at a choke-point. While I spammed cities, builders, and campuses, he spammed encampments and projects.

As a result he managed to earn 6 Great Generals and before we were even close to the Renaissance, he had unlocked both Industrial era generals Napoleon Bonaparte - who upon retirement creates an Army - and Rani Lakshmibai, who creates a Cavalry unit with one promotion. He combined them and brought an 84 strength cavalry army against knights and crossbows in the medieval era.....that was GG, needless to say. Time to start checking the "Previously Recruited" menu a bit more frequently.

Top Bottom