Are Ranged Cavalry "Ranged" or "Cavalry" units?

Atlas627

Deity
So I'm wondering whether the Barracks/Stable and Agoge/Maneuver (+upgrades) work on Ranged Cavalry units, such as the Maryannu Chariot Archer, Saka Horse Archer, Keshig, etc. Do they stack? Does anyone know?

So I'm wondering whether the Barracks/Stable and Agoge/Maneuver (+upgrades) work on Ranged Cavalry units, such as the Maryannu Chariot Archer, Saka Horse Archer, Keshig, etc. Do they stack? Does anyone know?

All three of these are Promotion Class Ranged, so would be categorized with other Ranged Units for Promotions of all kinds. There is no separate 'Ranged Mounted' class in Civ VI.

All three of these are Promotion Class Ranged, so would be categorized with other Ranged Units for Promotions of all kinds. There is no separate 'Ranged Mounted' class in Civ VI.

No promotion class, true. But the code seems to have them listed as class "Ranged Cavalry" and also as "Mobile Ranged", so I'm wondering if the policies and buildings detect this properly in either case.

Just messing around with firetuner... a barb spearman attacked my saka and dealt over 2/3 damage. That means they are getting their +10 bonus.

Further, the saka, barbarian horse archer, and the keshig, even in ranged combat, display in the combat preview that the defending anticav unit gets "+10 vs cavalry."
The maryannu chariot of egypt and the domrey of the khmer, however, do not seem to have this, being full ranged & siege units respectively.

I also tested the chariot archer on defense and it traded even with a barb spear - just to show that it's not being treated differently on defense than offense.

Has anyone ever captured a Barb Horse Archer? What do they upgrade to?

I wish we did have the "ranged mounted" class back. I think that would help quite a few unique units at the very least.

Apart from the Spearman test, which other test do we have.
There is Mongolia bonus to horses, Mongolia ability to capture horses and the barack VS stable bonus to experience. Someone has another idea?

Yet I do believe that for all those tests they are cavs. Fundamentally. They just attached to those cavs the promotion tree and the upgrade path of cavs.

Last edited:
Just messing around with firetuner... a barb spearman attacked my saka and dealt over 2/3 damage. That means they are getting their +10 bonus.

Further, the saka, barbarian horse archer, and the keshig, even in ranged combat, display in the combat preview that the defending anticav unit gets "+10 vs cavalry."
The maryannu chariot of egypt and the domrey of the khmer, however, do not seem to have this, being full ranged & siege units respectively.

I also tested the chariot archer on defense and it traded even with a barb spear - just to show that it's not being treated differently on defense than offense.

Yes, I see in the code that the Anti-Cav bonus specifically checks for opponents that are tagged Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, or Ranged Cavalry. Units like the ones I mentioned are tagged as Ranged Cavalry, though they also have the Ranged Promotion Tree (which is their Promotion Type, which is used for other calculations).

Apart from the Spearman test, which other test do we have.
There is Mongolia bonus to horses, Mongolia ability to capture horses and the barack VS stable bonus to experience. Someone has another idea?

Yet I do believe that for all those tests they are cavs. Fundamentally. They just attached to those cavs the promotion tree and the upgrade path of cavs.

It seems like all of these things are coded individually. I could go check if the Mongolia bonus specifically mentions Ranged Cavalry or not in the code. My problem is that the Barracks/Stable thing doesn't seem to mention Ranged Cavalry for *either* of them, but just because I didn't find it doesn't mean it isn't in there *somewhere*.

The policies I mentioned seem to use the Promotion Trees as the way to apply their bonuses, which would mean Agoge would apply to the Maryannu and Saka, but Manuever wouldn't. Which is utterly bizarre and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it other than making Ranged Cavalry have a new promotion tree called "RangedCavalry" but make it look identical to the Ranged one.

I'm most interested whether they get the bonus from the ranged cards or the cavalry cards, or both (somehow). Since they're special units nice to be able to create a good sized army of them.

Yes, I see in the code that the Anti-Cav bonus specifically checks for opponents that are tagged Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, or Ranged Cavalry. Units like the ones I mentioned are tagged as Ranged Cavalry, though they also have the Ranged Promotion Tree (which is their Promotion Type, which is used for other calculations).

It seems like all of these things are coded individually. I could go check if the Mongolia bonus specifically mentions Ranged Cavalry or not in the code. My problem is that the Barracks/Stable thing doesn't seem to mention Ranged Cavalry for *either* of them, but just because I didn't find it doesn't mean it isn't in there *somewhere*.

The policies I mentioned seem to use the Promotion Trees as the way to apply their bonuses, which would mean Agoge would apply to the Maryannu and Saka, but Manuever wouldn't. Which is utterly bizarre and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it other than making Ranged Cavalry have a new promotion tree called "RangedCavalry" but make it look identical to the Ranged one.

I do not think any checks in the code is actually required. We mightbe making it more complicated than it is,my money is on 'they are cavs (either light or heavy) so they are tied to the stable not the barack'.

Top Bottom