Are there AI specific diplomacy game rules?

gavenkoa

Prince
I'd like to hear AI specific diplomacy rules. I'm not sure that game rules for trade are fair towards human.

For example, as I understand human civ has a global limit for tech received through the trade but not AI. Basically this means AIs trade more actively / willingly between themselves.

I'd like to know if there are some strings I can pull to influence AI tech trade. The most important is the case of preventing AI reselling a tech.

Diplomacy is one of the more heavily asynchronous aspects of the game. Basically as far as diplomacy is concerned you're only mostly playing the same game that the AIs do.

Off the top of my head AIs will value what you offer them more/less depending on difficulty, Deity AI I think only value your stuff at 80% of it's actual value. As for stopping AIs from trading techs with each other, two things. One, keep an eye on how freely AIs will trade techs. Mansa will trade away even monopoly techs immediately, whereas an AI like Sitting Bull will only trade techs when most of the board (as far as he's met it) knows the tech. So if you want a monopoly tech to stay out of the game a bit longer, trade with Sitting Bull instead of Mansa. Two, pit AIs against each other. If AIs don't like each other enough they won't trade techs, I'm pretty sure that's one aspect that applies to AIs as much as it does to human players, and in any case no AI will ever trade with their Worst Enemy. So the more frowny faces on the board, the slower techs will get traded around.

Every ai has a trade limit which is why you should not trade multiple techs for one tech.
I read about it and experienced that in the game: when you buy a lot they stop trading with you.

What I want to know if this mechanic is symmetrical / works the other way. Imaging played deliberately staff AI with cheap techs to rise AI limit (and getting +1 diplo ).

Does WFYABTA apply to AI/AI tech trades or just to player/AI tech trades?

Does WFYABTA apply to AI/AI tech trades or just to player/AI tech trades?
I think so. Just remember WFYABTA do not apply between leaders on bottom half of scoreboard, including human. (So whip hard to get there). I think vassal of high ranking master but with low score himself, count as being bottom half. I have a good game going where master feed vassal with tech and the vassal happily trade it to me next turn.

There is a also a small decay relating to WFYABTA. On average every 20 turn an AI has forgot a trade you have done. By the way, friendly remove whole problem.

Another aspect about thread title is bribing. Do same rules apply AI/AI as described in the great article Know your enemy by @Kaitzilla ?

Last edited:
Interesting thread! Another thing I’ve wondered is...does the leader you are playing make any difference?

For example, if you are playing as Gandhi, would Shaka hate you more than if you were playing as Julius Caesar?

Interesting thread! Another thing I’ve wondered is...does the leader you are playing make any difference?

For example, if you are playing as Gandhi, would Shaka hate you more than if you were playing as Julius Caesar?
No, not at all. Bug mod shows diplo points towards you and human is fixed for each leader. Usually -1. But some are zero or -2 toward human. Level also count. Check that guide Gumbolt linked. Base attitude towards human, at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
No, not at all. Bug mod shows diplo points towards you and human is fixed for each leader. Usually -1. But some are zero or -2 toward human. Level also count. Check that guide Gumbolt linked. Base attitude towards human, at the bottom of the list.
This is not correct. There is something called a leader's "peace weight" which defines amonh pther things how much they like lthet leaders. Generally, warring leaders have a likening to other warring leaders, peace loving leaders like similar leaders, and the opposing groups hate eachother. A random factor also gets added each game.

This is not correct. There is something called a leader's "peace weight" which defines amonh pther things how much they like lthet leaders. Generally, warring leaders have a likening to other warring leaders, peace loving leaders like similar leaders, and the opposing groups hate eachother. A random factor also gets added each game.
That is correct for AI-AI relation. But I think the question was about AI-human relation.

Sort of related to peaceweight, but not really.
Gandhi+Zara have a higher bonus with +2, but even low peaceweight leaders like Pacal, Qin, Cathy and Cyrus have +1.
I don't think there is a reduced value on deity, not anthing I have noticed at least.

I have never understod what warmongerer respect does. :)
Spoiler :

upload_2021-10-21_13-23-16.png

I don't think there is a reduced value on deity, not anthing I have noticed at least.

I noticed they will never give supposed maximum possible value of base attitude, e.g. Gandhi and Zara will give you +1 'first impression' at most.

Right according to the reference guide by Anion (pdf booklet in download section).
-1 attitude from Noble and beyond.

Top Bottom