t220 - Plastics

First Library in Capital
at 4-6 :c5citizen: pop
< 10 turns to build while growing

Capital Population
10 :c5citizen: by Education
15 :c5citizen: by Scientific Theory
20 :c5citizen: by Plastics

...obviously this changes depending on civ and playstyle but are these good general benchmarks for staying competitive with the other civs? I play on Emperor/Immortal, I'd also like to know whether these numbers are of use in MP. Anyone have any new benchmarks to add? I'm finding they help my game a lot.

I wouldn't worry about a turn 50 science benchmark. I think I rarely am doing that well.

By t125 you should have a university in your size 16+ cap, so I think 150 or 175 science is a better benchmark (obviously, you can have a lot more than that!).

I think 500-600bpt by turn 200 is reasonable, but you want your peak to be closer to 1000bpt usually.

And I'd multiply all of your cap pop goals by 1.2, some will say multiply by more.

Finally, t110 is a good Education target, I think. Depends a lot whether these are "I'm doing okay" benchmarks or aspirational benchmarks!

My marks are for Deity (so below) :
4 cities NC. NC when it's possible. Sub-T90, I'm glad.
Beakers :
After universities up : 200
Public schools : 600 (not sure because, I'll have factories around 15 to 20turns later).
Factories : 700-800
Labs : 1100-1300.
End game : Enough to reach techs I need.

Tech :
T160-170 : Scientific Theory
T200-210 : Plastics (sub T200is better).

Library in capital is up just when I reach philo and up in all satellites.

Pop in capital (it's my goal, I suck to have it in all games) :
Education : 14-16
Scientific Theory : 20-25
Plastics : 30-35

Build two more cities. :)

Why only 2 cities? 3-4 is better. And remember that a city by the mountain is often more valuable because of the observatory ;)

Why only 2 cities? 3-4 is better. And remember that a city by the mountain is often more valuable because of the observatory ;)

My guess is that OP meant that he goes for 2 city NC and then adds his third & fourth city following NC.

On the Original post:

The end of game science to shoot for is 1000 (unless as a self-imposed challenge you are skipping Rationalism)

Capital Size to shoot for is 12+ by Education, 20+ by Sci Theory, 25+ by Plastics, 30+ by time of victory

I am always amazed at these turn numbers because I always play on Marathon where to get my first worker takes about 40 turns and my first monument takes about 25 turns and a shrine about another 20 turns. Then for my worker to complete any job on a tile takes anywhere from 15-35 turns depending on a farm or mine etc.

I will play a few games with standard speed and see all of these quick turns and how you all get NC under turn 100. NC for me is around Turn 250-400.

But again I play on Marathon and I enjoy the slow pace of the game and I stick with it. Civ is a weekend game not an evening game from start to finish after work in a few hours.

Brew God

I am always amazed at these turn numbers because I always play on Marathon where to get my first worker takes about 40 turns and my first monument takes about 25 turns and a shrine about another 20 turns. Then for my worker to complete any job on a tile takes anywhere from 15-35 turns depending on a farm or mine etc.

I will play a few games with standard speed and see all of these quick turns and how you all get NC under turn 100. NC for me is around Turn 250-400.

But again I play on Marathon and I enjoy the slow pace of the game and I stick with it. Civ is a weekend game not an evening game from start to finish after work in a few hours.

Brew God

+1000
I'd like a setting to play a single game for 1 year (or more)
A library! Do you really think that 10 minutes is enough to build one? :crazyeye:

How is it even possible to have 40 beakers on turn 50? You'd be lucky to have a capital with 6 - 8 population, a second city with 2 or 3 population, and maybe a third city. Assuming you have a library in your capital (hell, let's assume the Great Library for an extra 3 science). Let's give you Messenger of the Gods too, just for fun.

Population Science: 12
Library in Capital: 4
Great Library: 3
Connections to Capital: 4

That's 23.

Turn 50- I expect to have a library in two cities, Cap at pop 7-9, second city at 2-4 pop. I often have around 30 beakers at this point.

My preferences

2-City NC:
Libraries done at t40
National College done at t80

Beakers per Turn
t50 - 30 bpt
t100 - 80 bpt
t125 - 155 bpt
t200 - 300-400 bpt
t300 - 600-800 bpt
Endgame - 900-1200 bpt

Techs
t175 - Scientific Theory
t220 - Plastics

First Library in Capital
at 4-6 pop
< 10 turns to build while growing

Capital Population
15 by Education
18 by Scientific Theory
25 by Plastics

My cities often stagnate when I am in mid Industrial before ideologies. I like capturing cities with Muskets and Cannons, so my happiness drops significantly at this time.

Oooooookay, that's an infinitely more realistic beaker count by turn 50. I've always been slow with my science victories, but I can consistently win them on Emperor. Any tips for getting my beakers up between NC and Education? Should I build more cities or focus on getting internal trade routes up?

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but does anyone have an estimate on Quick pace or is it all just linear scaling down of Standard benchmarks? Oh and, we're talking Deity

costs are 67% of standard speed, so your turns should be 2/3 of the turns you hit the techs on standard.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but does anyone have an estimate on Quick pace or is it all just linear scaling down of Standard benchmarks? Oh and, we're talking Deity

costs are 67% of standard speed, so your turns should be 2/3 of the turns you hit the techs on standard.

Thresholds listed on this thread are out of date due to BNW patches that came out after it died :(

So what are the correct thresholds now?

The more I look at it, it's more like the 2 City NC portion is obsolete for starts unless you luck out and get a primary luxury mining as that actually is the turn count you'd need for 2 city 2 NC + 2 later to compete with the now standard 3 City NC + 1 later strategy.

The beaker count for all but end game is right. For end game, can be a lot higher than 900.

The population count for the capital though is way too low. Even using food caravans your capital can be significantly bigger than that and if your capital is coastal it's basically going to be double what's listed. (This part isn't so much a mechanic change but inexperience with food caravans & cargo ships at the time of the original post, and it's also why the beaker count is too low for end game.)

Top Bottom