Are Wonders of the World, really wonderous?

I like the Great Library, though. I think that's the one I built. It gives you a free tech, so I grabbed Civil Service and got into the medievel era faster than everybody else.

♥

Really, many wonders are just fantastic monuments without real effects. For example, what does the Tour Eiffel really do? Nothing. Its just a fantastic building. Culture and tourism.

I don't know. It seems that Cristo Redentor is almost a necessity when going for a cultural win.

In game terms, it's not a good thing that you care less about the wonders this time around. You want players to care and get heart palpitations, not the other way around.

I would imagine this might change over time, tho, when you start building long-term strategies around getting a specific wonder...

I like these wonder's effects and being able to see them being constructed but I miss the movies.

The paintings are really cool looking, however. The quotes are also nice, but don't always feel appropriate for the wonder.

I preffer the paintings to Civ4 style movies which I always thought were meh but I still miss the Civ2 style movies.

Civ2 wonder movies were amazing. Civ4's movies don't compare. I actually feel this gets closer to the spirit of the Civ2 wonders, which were about the awe of the wonder, not some CGI building of it.

In game terms, it's not a good thing that you care less about the wonders this time around. You want players to care and get heart palpitations, not the other way around.

I would imagine this might change over time, tho, when you start building long-term strategies around getting a specific wonder...

I see what you're saying, but sometimes games at higher difficulty levels in IV were nigh impossible if you couldn't build a couple of the wonders pertinent to your strategy/gambit and I didn't like how games could fall apart almost instantly because of a lack of a wonder.

Then again, higher difficulty levels of V, which I haven't tried yet (I like starting slow to learn things), might make wonders more key, and they might feel more important and wonderful and necessary. Not sure, though.

Top Bottom