Armour in RtW

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
RtW:Utlimate Edition used.

Firstly thanks Dale for a wonderful mod. Due to the low power of my laptop (Pentium 1.5 Ghz), I have turned off Battle Effects and Winter War. (I'll re-enable once I can afford a new PC) and it has made iot playable.

How do I make use of my Panzers ? Even when I have +3 City Attack promotions, I am still losing Tigers, it is safer to attack Artillery and Anti-Tank-Gun defended cities with Infantry units and artillery.

Like Battleships, Armour is of little use in Civ which is effectively a city-to-city hop combat.

In WW2 tanks entered city with heavy infantry support to scout for ambush. In city, tanks cant move as freely as in the open and are less effective. What I do is to form a combo group of tanks, at-guns, infantry and art. Some kind of Kampfgruppe.

You're right. The armor is this MOD is almost useless. Most enemy units camp in city where they are protected by an umbrella of fighters/bomber planes and artillery.

I have tried 2 different ways to play this scenario with the germans.

- With a 40% ratio of panzer to infantry.
- With no tanks at all.

In the end. I managed to conquer France in 12 to 15 turns without any tanks. With tanks...I barely got to Paris before the Italians declared war on me and invaded me with their ridiculously overpowered army.

erm , just remember that early tanks were really pitiful ... all you needed was a large caliber rifle to pierce their armor.
in rtw however ,the role tanks should have is : 1 stack defender 2. blitz and drill combo to kill off damaged units , just stack 100 artilleries and bomb the hell of your enemies ... then pick them off with your tanks ... that way they get huge lvls and you get your generals.

erm , just remember that early tanks were really pitiful ... all you needed was a large caliber rifle to pierce their armor.

Not really true. Take Germany, for example. The PzKpfw I, which was designed only as a training tank had incredibly weak armor, so with the Panzer I, yes, a large caliber rifle round could peirce its armor. However, the PzKpfw II got a major updrage (from 13mm to 30mm at the PzKpfw II D), armor wise. Only another tank could peirce its armor (And very easily, might I add), all rifle bullets and machine gun bullets bounced right off. The French, feilding their Renault R35, which had 43mm armor, was harder to peirce. Even early British Tanks, like the Matilda I, sported 60mm. So, perhaps in the early production stages of most early tanks, and the PzKpfw I could have its amor peirce by large caliber rifle bullets.

This is why I decided to take a more holistic approach to units. i.e. each unit is a large collection disparate of forces (armour, infantry, cannons, etc) battling for up to a fortnight and not just one tank versus another.

Top Bottom