Artificial Stupidity

Technological scholarship, the industry, and lay usage all disagree with this assessment. Not all AI is machine learning, but all machine learning is AI. Like I said, we’re just getting bogged down in the “no true Scotsman” fallacy here.

For what it’s worth, I wasn’t saying any of that (not sure if you were referring to me).

I agree and I don’t know what nitpicking at the definition of AI is really accomplishing in this thread anyway—we all knew what the OP was referring to when he said “AI.”

And we all know that whatever you call it, the way Civ 6 computer opponents play the game is just disappointing and could be so much better.

Sorry not directed at you, I’m just so used to a dogpile of apologia whenever the topic of Civ6 AI comes up

The problem with AI is the amount of data you have too feed it for it to be efficient.

For example, just for an AI that is made to identify handmade numbers in a 36x36 pixel image (think post codes), you need tens of thousands of examples, each correctly labelled. And feed the whole data e few dozen times for it to have a relevant efficiency.

Now think with civilization... Not only do you need partial information to be fed (it must not know of hidden information such as fog of war or late age ressources), but you have increasingly more possibilities each turn... So you have 2 possibilities:
- Have several thousands seeds, and for each let the IA learn by itself, meaning several thousands decicision trees for each seed (and several super calculators melted...)
- Have thousands of plays by humans, with all kind of strategies used (so you have to pay several thousands of players for a few years, each playing multi without IA...)

First one could be (eventually...) efficient, but won't reflect how a human plays.
Second case would make human-like AI... that wouldn't be able to react to the unexpected...

And notice how I never spoke about player level until now?... Because it's rather hard to define it...

The best we can expect is a rather basic/stupid AI at launch, and the game collecting a lot of play data from players. Play data being used to feed an AI, with periodic update for the game version.
This solution could be the best, but leaves a lot of problem, privacy being one not so easy to solve and acceptable from players (not everyone will agree to be "spied on"...), the other one being the hugue required work from the developper (feeding anAI and correcting the behaviour is a lot of specialized work...)...

Top Bottom