Attacking Across The Sea

Japher

Voted for Bush
I have some questions...

I am playing the Japanese, and have just discovered gunpowder. Unfotunately all the slatpeter is on other continents completely inhabited by either the French or the Persians. So, being the gready fool I am I started tradding with the Persians for the resource, but I want more, and I want it all to myself. The Persians are closer to me than the French, but I have a better reputation with the Persians than I do the French. Who should I take the slatpeter from (I kind of want to take the Persians, they have towns within my "boarders", and the French rank higher than the Persians)? How can I do this without upsetting all the other nations? What is an easy way to get the troops across the oceans (no free tiles in their lands)? Any suggestions or strats. would be helpful...

Persians are obviously an easier target. Them first.

If you had Espionage you keep trying to plant a spy and get them to declare war on you; failing that, keep making outrageous demands of them which might get them mad and eventually declare war.

Easy way to get units across the ocean? There aren't many options - galleons or transports. You could try for a MPP with ROP with the Persians: land a lot and then sneak attack. It will kill your rep, though. Just land IN FORCE when you do go to war; I know of no "easy way".

surely you wou;d have exactely the same rep with both persia and france and it is am especially bad idea to attack france if you have only just discovered gunpowder as they will have musketeers if you are further ahead in tech you should just wait until you get cavalry because they beat musketmen

oh and another thing make sure you have all you units that you need saltpeter for upgraded because as soon as you go to war the resource gets cut off

nothing a little 150+ knight army cant fix. just watch out for his Immortals.

Go over and kick both their butts one at a time, that's what I'd do

I dont know if i would go attack the french until u get into the industrial age. Dont forget if they just learned gunpowder they just got their UU and have a slight advantage over you.

If you do attack Persia then sign a Right of Passage agreement with France with which to build up your forces on the Franco/Persian border. Then all you have to do is get them to attack you/declare war and march your forces from France into Persia and take their cities. You could even ask France to get involved if you wanted although would probably not be worth it in the long run.

If you're just interested in the Salpeter, I suggest that you sign an alliance or MPP with France, and then provokes Xerxes to declare war at you (shouldn't be too hard - Mr Stackman isn't known for his peaceful ways). When the Persian and French forces start blasting one another apart, you land an assault force next to a city with Salpeter and take it. As you've also brought along a bunch of defensive units, you should be able to hold on to that city without much trouble till the dust clears. Alternatively, you've got an excellent beachhead for delivering the death blow to the Persians.

( I normally play on Regent difficulty level )

if there is a resource across the seas I wish to take without a massive, prolonged war:

I make a settler and create a city on his territory. Preferred spot is a Hill with a luxury.

If timed correctly, I can often declare peace on even terms with few casualties. I have then gained a base from which to launch my conquest, and a new luxury.

I would take the enemy cities close to my newly-founded one, and raze them. This gives me the workers I will need to develop the land.

Top Bottom