August 2020 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Wait, so after removing the free amenity for every city, they went back and reduced all the penalty thresholds?!? Doesn't that put things back exactly where they were, except with a less intuitive presentation? Rather than having one free amenity per city, you can instead have one more negative amenity per city without it actually doing anything.

No? Unless I'm reading it wrong:

Before:
1 Free Amenity - Displeased at -3 = 4 Amenity difference

Now:
0 Free Amenity - Displeased at -2 = 2 Amenity difference

Edit: This is wrong.

Last edited:
  • Displeased -10%, was -5%
  • Unhappy -20%, was -10%
  • Unrest -30% (stays the same)
  • Revolt -40%, was -60%

New city thresholds:

• Ecstatic at 5+
  • Happy at 3 to 4
  • Content at -1 to 2
  • Displeased at -3 to -2
  • Unhappy at -5 to -4
  • Unrest at -7 to -6
  • Revolt at -8
o Negative amenities non-food yield decrease changes:

• Displeased -10%, was -5%
  • Unhappy -20%, was -10%
  • Unrest -30% (stays the same)
  • Revolt -40%, was -60%

These changes are so good. Finally some consequence to low amenities.

Wait, so after removing the free amenity for every city, they went back and reduced all the penalty thresholds?!? Doesn't that put things back exactly where they were, except with a less intuitive presentation?
I thought that was the best change in the patch, but now they've completely neutralized it, while also negating any pre-existing mods that did the same thing.

The changes to "middle" thresholds are:

Content at -1 to 2
Displeased at -3 to -2
Unhappy at -5 to -4
Unrest at -7 to -6

So I think you will be more likely to fall out of Content and into Displeased - and Displeased is now -10% to yields. Doesn't look like putting things back to where they were (besides -8 Revolt perhaps).

Fixed issues that prevented Apostles from receiving all available promotions.

Really? They did it? They finally did it? Is this real life? Is this actually happening?

Apostles getting stuck at the 3 worst promotions was so annoying. That will make religious victories even easier though, at least without Yerevan.

Amenities changes are intriguing. Agree maybe Ecstatic could be more value. Agree changes might just lead to focusing on “content” cities, but interested to see how it plays and shakes out. I suspect it might actually be a big change for the better overall.

Glad to see Apocalypse Mode got another look. I think Soothsayers could have used more of a tweak, but there you go.

Gov Plaza changes are fine, but don’t really change much. FXS maybe should have also tweaked Audience Chamber given all the Kvetching. Clearly lacks a bit of sex appeal.

Not really anything beyond what was revealed in the video. Hard not to wish a few more things were tweaked given how much stuff feels out of whack, but yeah good changes overall.

Guess now we see what happens in September!

I did read that wrong. Here's how it was before (had to change them for my mod). It's the first table under Before. Ignore the After one.

So the distance to negative amenities stays unchanged, BUT the penalties are higher. So all in all still good, but not as aggressive as I first thought.

The difficulty to get Happy/Ecstatic state is the big change here. Welcomed in my opinion.

Last edited:
Does "revolt" status change loyalty at all? I feel like revolt should cause negative loyalty so that the city could become a free city if you don't address it. That's kinda the whole point of a city revolting.

iirc someone asked in another thread, but as far as free amenities for cities:
"CITY_AMENITIES_FOR_FREE" in the GlobalParameters table has been changed from 1 to 0.
The Entertainment column for the "BUILDING_PALACE" row in the Buildings table has increased from 1 to 2.

Really? They did it? They finally did it? Is this real life? Is this actually happening?

Apostles getting stuck at the 3 worst promotions was so annoying. That will make religious victories even easier though, at least without Yerevan.

It could also (only) mean that now always 3 promotions are offered (I recently reported the old issue that sometimes you only get 1 or 2). Or both, if we are lucky ;)

I think I did read that wrong. Here's how it was before (had to change them for my mod). It's the first table under Before. Ignore the After one.

So the distance to negative amenities stays unchanged, BUT the penalties are higher. So all in all still good, but not as aggressive as I first thought.

The difficulty to get Happy/Ecstatic state is the big change here. Welcomed in my opinion.

The thing that makes it harder to manage will be adding cities to your empire, since each newbie city will suck up an amenity instead of providing their own. Also conquered cities.

• Added some bias towards getting governments with lots of wild card slots.
  • Fixed an issue where the AI was overvaluing bonuses from governments for cities with governors.
  • Increased desire for civics that unlock new governments. Capped desire for Theology for high Faith income civs (ensures they can move on to tier 3 or 4 governments).

Oh, that's huge for the AI. It will be nice to see it adopting Tier 3 and 4 governments more often.

Top Bottom