1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Autocracy government

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Isengardtom, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Because you could get +25% with autocracy and still take urban planning. Not all your cities are building wonders either, and ancient units are so cheap that you might as well just spam them because there's nothing better to do.

Even if you're not building military units, conscription is still useful. If you have like 3-4 archers, it's probably still better than most cards you have at that point. That means both autocracy and classical republic have one useless slot each (one red and one green). Also Veterancy is a good card.

Take a serious look at your city yields when you first reach these governments. If your capital is making less than 10 of a yield, it's probably better than any amenities or housing CR will give. And how many great people points are you making?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Isengardtom likes this.
  2. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

I enjoy this kind of topic a lot. Personally I think Autocracy is very strong when the time is right. Autocracy is very good when you're in a weak state but it doesn't stop there. The 2 military + 1 economy + 1 wildcard slots allow a very strong synergized bonus (exchange diplomatic slot for more useful types).

Don't underestimate the +1 bonus for each yield. The bonus is at least the same if not more powerful than republic's or oligarchy's under some situations. Government Plaza is so cheap and available earlier, meaning you can guarantee +2 to all yields in your capital once you have switched to Autocracy. The first Government Plaza building is very useful, you should build it asap, therefore +3 yields is very obtainable. With all these bonus, your capital would be very strong. Does +3 food and +3 production in your capital sounds amazing? What about +3 science and + 3 culture? And once you have the legacy card, you can switch to the more powerful republic government while keeping the +3 to all yields active.

Autocracy is like a contingency plan, it does not scale as well as republic or provide military edge like oligarchy. However, the strong early bonus can give you an edge, giving you more power to start with. In most situation, the Autocracy Legacy provides even more useful bonus than some commonly used policies like urban planning (+1 production to all cities).

Not to mention Autocracy's policy slots distribution is better than Oligarchy's (I'm not arguing to swap their policy slots because I like how Autocracy and Oligarchy are currently and they are strong in different ways). Autocracy allows very flexible militaristic or isolationist approach. You can choose [3 military + 1 economy] or [2 military + 2 economy] depending on your needs.

The overall ability of Autocracy ensures you can stay at the top when lands are scared and conflicts are many. The strong early bonus and military edge can ensure your victory (or survivability at worst case).

I can't think of too many leaders that synergize with Autocracy, but Qin Shi Huang is definitely one good example. The inherent +10% production towards wonder synergize with his UA and playstyle. An early-powerful capital can pump out builders and settlers faster. With Ancestral Hall. you can gain a builder from settling city and rush wonders.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Isengardtom and hr_oskar like this.
  3. hr_oskar

hr_oskar Deity

Autocracy is extra good with Qin Shi Huang, yes. But the point I want to make is of Autocracy being the default first government while Oligarchy is only better when you're fighting wars and Classical Republic only becomes better when you've reached a certain minimum empire size and city development (often about half way towards T2 governments). Autocracy doesn't need synergies or conditions to work, they just make it nicer.

Galvatron and XplosiveLun like this.
  4. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

All three Governments unlock at the same time, so I’d generally thought of them being on the same level conceptually (if that makes any sense).

I guess one could look at Autocracy being more “primitive”, particularly given it doesn’t have Diplo Slots, and the other Govs are more useful when you have more developed empire (units and or districts).

Hmm. I kinda like that idea. I usually get to PP very fast, and often don’t bother with the other two options even later on. Guess my Empire is just governed by Brutish God Kings. Grr.

5. Archon_Wing

You should also know that for every turn you don't engage in combat, Oligarchy is the worst government. Of course, we don't have the luxury of swapping back and forth like that. Usually I'll try to go for its legacy card if I'm in it.

The other thing is that it only works with melee units if people didn't know already, though I guess the extra XP is kinda useful.... sorta.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Galvatron and acluewithout like this.
  6. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

That is so so not true. Conscription and discipline are two great policies that you can run that are easily worth it and you can ruin them and spam units with autocracy.

If we're including other cards then autocracy has 25%, if not more in the capital.

Not even that. Only if you're fighting battles. In wars that feature low conflict the bonuses are almost useless. And if you are preparing for war the bonuses are useless too.

I like how it's balanced though, unlike the other two governments

7. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

-1 maintenance and +50% production. You don't suddenly have a whole army when starting a a war and you still have to pay for the them before going to war. 2 Military slots are useful. You don't waste a policy slot for diplomatic like oligarchy or republic (diplomatic cards pays off later), so you can fill the rest with economy cards or wildcard.

Again, Autocracy is not just for war. The slot distribution and inherent ability are economical. The legacy card is actually quite good even in mid game.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    acluewithout likes this.
  8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It is rare I will just use 1government in the classic era. They are all good and have their moment.
    Autocracy has no green card, it could be considered the best military preparation option and swapping to Oligarchy on attack but depends, why bother if bows and horses.
    The oligarchy wild card thing is helpful if Pingala is in your capital and you get an early government building but they clash a bit to me, it is more about the slots and the 10% wonder.
    I prefer the classic republic legacy card quite often over the Oligarchy but of roman or Ottoman for example, you would be foolish not to take the +4 unless not playing to your civs strengths.
    They are all great options. Often sticking with 1 is just lazy and losing benefit but peaceful classical Republic works.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Isengardtom likes this.
  9. Dotsworthy

Dotsworthy Chieftain

I go for autocracy if I am chasing a wonder and want to maximise my chances.

If I time my civics properly I can swap in and out of the envoy policies until I'm ready to move to classical Republic or oligarchy.

10. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

does the plaza itself give a yield bonus? I think it’s only the palace and the buildings in the plaza

11. hr_oskar

hr_oskar Deity

This thread made me go check. The plaza doesn't give a yield bonus, only the buildings, as I thought.

Personally I've stopped building the plaza in my capital, at least if I'm going to build the Ancestral Hall. I prefer to put Pingala in my capital and grow it tall, so I need a different city to act as settler factory. It's usually my second city, which I also want to have plenty of chops available and good production.

12. Archon_Wing

Yea, only government buildings.

So chances are you won't see this bonus beyond the palace, if you want a better legacy card which is always for me. I kinda like Autocracy with Oligarchic Legacy though.

acluewithout likes this.