Azzaman333 reviews 31 Civs: Index

THE FIRST 2 POSTS WILL NOT BE UPDATED. I WILL NOT COMPLETE THE REVIEWS OF THE 31 CIVS, BUT I HAVE POSTED MY RANKS OF EACH CIV (check Post 5)

Civiliaztions Reviewed;

Ottomans, 63/70, Ranked #1

Sumeria, 55/70, Ranked #2

Rome, 39/70, Ranked #3

Aztecs, 35/70, Ranked #4

Egypt, 25/70, Ranked #5

Mongolia, 23/70, Ranked #6

America, 17/70, Ranked #7

Next To Be Reviewed;

Byzantines

Unreviewed;
Greece
Babylon
Germany
Russia
China
Japan
France
India
Persia
Zululand
Iroquois
England
Spain
Scandinavia
Celts
Arabia
Carthage
Korea
Hittites
Netherlands
Portugal
Inca
Maya

Trait Combo: X/28
The higher the score, the better i feel the traits work. Directly related to the other trait combos.

Unique Unit: X/31
The higher the score, the more useful i feel the Unique Unit is. Directly related to the other Unique Units.

AI Game Play; X/10
The higher the score, the better the AI plays the Civ, based on my experiences. unrelated to the rankings of other civs.

UU & TC Blend; X/1

For a 1, the civ needs to have a UU that blends in with a game plan that is good for the trait combination. If 0, they have no trait & unique unit blending in my opinion.

20/5 Mongolian Review Added.

24/5 Descriptions for each ranking group added to first post.

25/5 Sumerian Review Added.

29/5 American Review Added.

28/6, Ottomans Added

Moderator Action: Thread re-opened on request.

Thanks for re-opening the thread Chieftess.

When I originally started this long task of rating the 31 civs, I didn't realise just how much time this would take. As you would have noticed following the thread in its early stages, I completed the first 6 in only 2 weeks. Unfortunately, my time to complete this mammoth task got fewer and fewer and I only got the 1 review done in the next 2 months, when this thread was spammed heavily for an update. This led to a request to close this thread from myself.

About a week ago I rediscovered my .xcl document containing my ratings for every trait combination and Unique Unit. I felt that I couldn't just let it go to waste, and over the last week I have used my little free time to complete the document, leading to the completion today. Unfortunately this is based solely on UU and Trait Combo, unlike my original plan to include how well the AI uses the civ, and the general compatibility of the traits and UU. I will not attempt to complete my original aims, but I will post a picture of the final scores.

Discuss the scores at will, but this is the final product and I doubt I will be reviving my tables to rework the scores around, or to finish what I had originally intended.

Well, it's not bad, and nothing is too out of place, and things are generally right, BUT:

There is too much stock placed in the unique units for your charts. If you look at it, the Dutch and Maya are rated too low.

I mean, for one, Russia over Maya? :lol:

Just cause the Javelin thrower isn't great, shouldn't hurt a civ with some of the most powerful traits. As you listed, their traits are '2nd best'. The Javelin thrower is low, meaning Maya averages out too low. Whilest a unique unit can be important, it usually does not make or break a game in the way traits and trait synergy does.

Same with Dutch, they have a great unique unit and their seafaring trait, if used right, is powerful. They deserve to be a bit higher at least?

But it's your chart :)

I think if you want it more accurate, 2/3 for traits, and 1/3 for unique unit, would be more appropriate.

Good luck with whatever you do with this.

-Elear

I have to say that I completely disagree about the Jag Warrior and the Aztecs -Aztecs are ideally suited to beat the hell out of the opposition and do it fast, on basically on level, on map sizes up to standard. Beyond that, the advantages are lessened - but an early veteran jag rush, combined with a capital that grows fast, can wipe out other civs.

If you take a "grow a civ to 10 cities before attacking" approach, aztecs are less useful.

Well, it's not bad, and nothing is too out of place, and things are generally right, BUT:

There is too much stock placed in the unique units for your charts. If you look at it, the Dutch and Maya are rated too low.

I mean, for one, Russia over Maya? :lol:

I'm not too happy with where Russia ended up, but they are definately the best expansionist civ.

Just cause the Javelin thrower isn't great, shouldn't hurt a civ with some of the most powerful traits. As you listed, their traits are '2nd best'. The Javelin thrower is low, meaning Maya averages out too low. Whilest a unique unit can be important, it usually does not make or break a game in the way traits and trait synergy does.

The best UU's (Mounted Warrior, Sipahi, Immortal) are definately game breakers. The worst UU's (Three-Man Chariot, F-15, Carrak) are also game breakers, but because they have little or no use.

Same with Dutch, they have a great unique unit and their seafaring trait, if used right, is powerful. They deserve to be a bit higher at least?

But it's your chart :)

I think if you want it more accurate, 2/3 for traits, and 1/3 for unique unit, would be more appropriate.

Good luck with whatever you do with this.

-Elear

Regarding the Dutch, I rated their traits fairly low because Seafaring is best on archipelagos, with generally dont have much fresh water making Agri useless until around 1000bc (Republic). And the Swiss Mercanary is unfortunately a defensive UU, which are generally less useful/important.

I have to say that I completely disagree about the Jag Warrior and the Aztecs -Aztecs are ideally suited to beat the hell out of the opposition and do it fast, on basically on level, on map sizes up to standard. Beyond that, the advantages are lessened - but an early veteran jag rush, combined with a capital that grows fast, can wipe out other civs.

If you take a "grow a civ to 10 cities before attacking" approach, aztecs are less useful.

Jag Warrior has a useful purpose, if you are going to rush early and how to mob your enemies with jags. I guess if I used that strategy more, I would've ranked them higher.

A good effort. I don't fault you not completing the reveiws, but don't rule out doing a reveiw once in a while, unless you don't want to, of course.

I think we are fairly close to on our lists, mostly. Definitely, yours shows more "work" as I just listed the 31 civs in my thread.

I just want to add, if I haven't already elsewhere, that you reviewing all 31 civs was a partial inspiration to my 31 civs in a thread in the stories and tales forum.

but jaguar warriors dont stand a chance against spearmen.

The Mil&Sea combo is underrated IMO. It is a powerful combo in the right hands that creates a great military for conquering.

Although, if I had to give a score for the AI's handling of the Vikings, it would be a -8 or something, since the AI sucks eggs with these traits, and doesn't use the berzerk that well, either.

UU's I find to be Underrated:
Gallic Swordsmen
Swiss Mercenary
Man-O-War
Javelin Thrower

UU's I find to be Overrated:
Immortal
Rider
Hoplite
Panzer

i think egypt should be a bit up the chart as well as war chariot, but thats just me...i find Portugal better then spain also and zululand and the impi on the botton? no way man

The scientific trait is way too overated. Agri is the best and industrial next, on 3rd i´d put comercial and only then scientific, sure 1 tech free at every era (4 free techs) plus cheaper libs is good but +25% core cities and more cash kinda beats it dont it?

If you ask me, Portugal and Spain both suck, but Spain's UU and TC suck slightly less. There's no doubt that Portugal has the absolute worst trait combo in the game, as explained by Ision. And the Conquistador is slightly more useful than the Carrack, but not by much.

Top Bottom