Backstabbed ???

Jelster

Prince
In my current game I have a DoF with Darius, he then decided to declare ware on Milan, a CS under my protection. I demand that he seeks peace and he tells me no, so I denounced him.

I now get a "Backstabber" tag. What was I supposed to do, say "please don't do that, there's a good chap." ??

The diplomacy engine on this game really does need some work.....

I believe the correct procedure is to "protect" Milan, then sue for peace on their behalf. If that doesn't work, begin funneling units to the city-state so they can defend themselves.

I look at this kind of situation as a 'diabolical plot twist.' To me, it seems that the AI is working to bring you down and his 'friendship' was phony. I think they are programmed to try to make you out to be that bad guy sometimes.

I tend to think this also happens more when you are militarily stronger than the AI. The programming won't let it attack you, but it can attack a city state under your protection. What are you going to do about it? It does become like a no-win scenario but I don't think it's faulty AI programming.

They also seem to go after key CS allies who provide you critical resources.

My response of late to this type of tactic is to stop offering CS protection. But I am still considering other options.

Yeah, gifting units is a great way to deal with this. Although it's not guaranteed or even likely to happen, it's a lot of fun to see city states taking over a civ's cities.

Usually though, unless the CS is really in mortal danger, I just reply "you will pay for this" and leave it at that.

Just ask for peace pay him wait for the DOF expires and declare war and liberate him.

You should darius be thanxfull this will gvie you 1 free vote for the UN i've recently won a diplomatic victory just because the AI where constantly killing city states and I was liberating

in the end I had 3 liberated votes So I only needed 7 votes (large map)

another way is to move a large force onto there boarders then make the demand

i am of the same opinion as mylor

In my current game I have a DoF with Darius, he then decided to declare ware on Milan, a CS under my protection. I demand that he seeks peace and he tells me no, so I denounced him.

I now get a "Backstabber" tag. What was I supposed to do, say "please don't do that, there's a good chap." ??

The diplomacy engine on this game really does need some work.....

Another reason to keep decent military. Free alliance + free UN vote after you liberate it. Might get yourself few Persian cities, while you're at it :D.

another way is to move a large force onto there boarders then make the demand

i am of the same opinion as mylor

Lol funny thread . Your post gave me an idea . just move some of your troops into position to block the invasion . Or at least the effectiveness of it .
I would say gift units but I have tried that a couple of times . The City-state never receives my units . Nor did I get credit for the gift in my influence with the City-state .
Anyway I had this kind of situation in my present game . Having to go to war to defend the honour of my little buddies :crazyeye: . But at least it was my enemy and best rival . I used the war to cut him down a notch . Gave me the upper hand ha ha .

Blocade the attack, or... just have units near the city, so that Persia's melee can't get close. Let the city trash his army, and you could eventually get Persia on their retreat.

I surrounded the capital with units, then let te CS finish him off.

To be fair on Darius, he spawned in a god-wful area and has hardly a penny to his name. Bottom of the leaderboard and lowest in population, land and soldiers. I guess I probably would have done the same....

I surrounded the capital with units, then let te CS finish him off.

To be fair on Darius, he spawned in a god-wful area and has hardly a penny to his name. Bottom of the leaderboard and lowest in population, land and soldiers. I guess I probably would have done the same....

Why'd you DoF him in the first place? I've found being friends with the weakest civs in the game usually ends with their troubles becoming your troubles. :lol:

Why'd you DoF him in the first place? I've found being friends with the weakest civs in the game usually ends with their troubles becoming your troubles. :lol:

Agreed. The primary reason I'd DOF someone is for an RA and the weakest civs tend to have insufficient cash.

Lol funny thread . Your post gave me an idea . just move some of your troops into position to block the invasion . Or at least the effectiveness of it .
I would say gift units but I have tried that a couple of times . The City-state never receives my units . Nor did I get credit for the gift in my influence with the City-state .
Anyway I had this kind of situation in my present game . Having to go to war to defend the honour of my little buddies :crazyeye: . But at least it was my enemy and best rival . I used the war to cut him down a notch . Gave me the upper hand ha ha .

oh yes! if u have high production u can just pump out units and gift them to the cs, it takes 3 turns and they reappear in the cs's boarders. ive actually had the cs take and raze ai city's that way.

Rather than burn a bunch of production on units that will only get you 2 influence apiece and may be disbanded by the CS when they arrive (the CS is prone to misusing gifted units, in my experience), just send a bunch of your units to the CS and surround the center city tile. Don't even DOW the invading AI; just maneuver your units to block his access to the CS center city tile. Should give the CS the breathing space to survive.

This also works with other civs you want to protect, without having to DOW their nemesis. Buy open borders and position your units to interfere with the invading units' movement.

Of course, a human opponent would be enraged by this tactic, and likely DOW you, but not the AI.

Rather than burn a bunch of production on units that will only get you 2 influence apiece and may be disbanded by the CS when they arrive (the CS is prone to misusing gifted units, in my experience), just send a bunch of your units to the CS and surround the center city tile. Don't even DOW the invading AI; just maneuver your units to block his access to the CS center city tile. Should give the CS the breathing space to survive.

This also works with other civs you want to protect, without having to DOW their nemesis. Buy open borders and position your units to interfere with the invading units' movement.

Of course, a human opponent would be enraged by this tactic, and likely DOW you, but not the AI.

That's exactly what I did, and I have done it with a Civ before now. Not because I wanted to "protect" them in the true sense of the word, but they were my neighbour and I wasn't ready to invade them just yet :lol:

And I made the DoF with Darius early on, he and I were the only 2 civs on the continent.

Top Bottom