Bait and switch for more gold?

earthy

Warlord
So this is kind of inconsequential, but I thought you guys might find it a bit interesting.

In this game I tried to sell Toku priesthood for a bit of gold. I offered it to him, and he was willing to give me 36 gold.

Spoiler :
Offer.jpg

I checked to see what he would give me for meditation instead, and he was willing to give me 40 gold!

Spoiler :
Second Offer.jpg

Now here's the trick... I removed meditation from my offer and replaced it with priesthood, leaving his 40 gold on the screen. And suddenly he was willing to go for it!

Spoiler :
Haggle.jpg

Is it possible to consistently get more gold in trades if you bait and switch like this? I know 4 gold isn't much in this instance, but every bit does help.

There are for certain some weirdness going on in the negotiation dialogue, but how I works I don't know.

Sometimes I have had cases where they offer me XX amount of gold and some tech, but when I remove stuff like polytheism/divine right etc etc from their offer, they suddenly refuse.

@krikav

I thought that was because AI are more generous if they're the ones making the offer. I remember a Lain game where the same thing happened with hunting or archery. That's what seemed unique about this particular situation, I was able to get more than the AI initially offered, which seems rare.

There are for certain some weirdness going on in the negotiation dialogue, but how I works I don't know.

Sometimes I have had cases where they offer me XX amount of gold and some tech, but when I remove stuff like polytheism/divine right etc etc from their offer, they suddenly refuse.
Just a thought - and no idea if this is true...

Does an AI consider the relational impact to them? For example, if you are someone else’s worst enemy, will they not want to do an unbalanced trade with you to avoid negative diplo points? In these cases they might prefer a fairer trade?

Top Bottom