Barbarian Black Hole!

This bug plagues me in every game I play, usually in and around turns 1300+. What really bugs me about this is that these “black holes” don’t fall into the jet fighters’ area of vision, as can be seen in this screenshot

Spoiler :

and as already said, it also plagues me inside my own territory.

Spoiler :

Does anyone have a theory of how to fix this? It’s very annoying to deal with in later games.

My operating system is Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4, 4GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB. My processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Gods & Kings v. 1.0.1.674 (and I think most--if not all--DLC).

Did a longer test game to explore the new mechanics of the expansion pack, and got one of the worst cases of "black holes" through the mid-late game to the very end (almost).

Attached is a save file (1.8 MB).

There are plenty black holes on this map--e.g. jungle trade post southwest of Rome. I left a Great General and 2 Mechanized Infantry idle in the save. The Great General can build a Citadel; pointing to a larger cluster of black holes. The two Mechanized Infantry units can explore a larger black hole zone.

I really wish we had an option to redraw the map--even if this takes a long time. The game becomes dangerously unplayable with all these black holes. Switching to the strategic map does not fix the problem.

Why this bug is still left unaddressed is beyond my comprehension :dunno:

I think getting for Satellite/Hubble Space solves the problem. It's 1 turn after the research completes. I'll provide a save file when I get home but I wish I saved it just before my satellite finished.

Pain in the ass because I can't see the city I wanted to capture and had to derail to a Science Victory :(

I think getting for Satellite/Hubble Space solves the problem.

IIRC this does not fix the problem.

A Great General citadel "may" fix tiles that are inside your borders, but I haven't tested this.

The ONLY way I've found to reveal black hole tiles is using spies, and this only applies to cities and adjacent tiles. I just had a particularly nasty black hole sitting on the last Aztec city; effectively making it impossible to wipe out Montezuma. However, when I sent a spy to the city, the black hole disappeared. (I have a save file, if needed.)

This also suggests that it should be possible to fix the bug.

Edit: Removing the spy from the Aztec city makes the black hole return.
Edit 2: The Great General Citadel does fix black hole tiles within your own borders.

I've had units hidden, which i can't select directly with the mouse.

I also had several times invisible enemy units (which were graphically 3-4 tiles away most of the time): could be surprising, but I always was able to attack them though

I have an update. I upgrades my ram to an 8GB one, and my current game, I'm at turn 270 (or so, game year 2090's), and no official black holes. There's some spots that don't fall under my destroyer's extended vision (That I made my missile cruisers get), and my aircraft carriers don't seem to have a problem unless the spot is not in the hip's direct line of sight. I'm playing non-Gods and Kings.

Top Bottom