BE still fairly boring

I find the war aspect to be far worse than Civ 5. In my current game on a fairly hard difficulty, ARC declared war on me and I had to wait ten turns before I saw any of their units (even though they had conquered two other AIs and were close to my border). When they did arrive, they were hopeless and died in waves to my far smaller army.

I eventually won the game with an Emancipation victory but it wasn't fun or satisfying they way winning a culture victory in Civ 5 is. I dunno, it's a gorgeous looking game and I love the first 100-150 turns when you are exploring but the click-fest at the end needs addressed!!

The game is a bucket filling simulator (food bucket, science bucket, production bucket, culture bucket, diplomatic bucket) where you seek to maximize your yields by any means necessary. It might be fun the first thousands of hours of Firaxis and other 4X games with similar mechanics (like Endless Space), but in the long term it is doomed to become a borefest.

In reality, CivBE doesn't bring anything new tot the table. It's actually a regression compared to Civ BNW. Take culture for example, there it served a double purpose: protection against tourism and acquisition of social policies. Here in CivBE: culture and virtues are similar to science and tech. It's just another yield that lets you acquire bonuses. All this system with virtues might as well be integrated into tech web and gameplay wouldn't be any different.

It baffles me how the first implementation of trade routes in CiV BNW was smarter and more balanced than this ridiculous spamfest that we have in CivBE? It seems that nobody from BNW team has worked on CivBE. Otherwise these stupid mistakes would've never be made.

And then we have these tons of tons of boring buildings that incrementally increase city yields. Many of them offer a horrible return on investment. Just look at this:
Clinic +1 Science +1 health
Cytonursery +1 Sciece +1 health
Pharmalab +2 science

WHY DO WE HAVE 3 OF THEM IN THE EARLY GAME???? WHY??????
And don't tell me about those extra bonuses. Many of them are not even an actual choice. How often did you choose the free maintenance for Old Earth Relic??

If Firaxis will continue to make such uninspired games, many civ players will just switch to Paradox games.

With Rising Tide, Culture actually takes on a diplomatic role. Serious Culture rates improve Respect incrementally, allowing you to snare better Agreements and avoid war.

I wish i was in love with CivBE, but i cannot :( I believe many here have the same painful feeling. Sorry Hutama, you are not Morgan and never will.

It shouldn't be a surprise that there's technically more to do in CiV with two expansions under it, than BE with just one.

How should it not be a suprise? Regardless if Civ 5 has two expansion packs - BE is meant to be the next step after Civ 5 and expand on what they already developed! But instead, they have stripped away lots of the mechanics that made BNW such a fun experience. There is less to focus on and each game is very samey. The personalities of the AI are virtually indistinguishable and their combat is even worse than Civ 5 (in my opinion).

I just don't think that a game that has been released after Civ 5 should feel stripped back and have less soul to it. It should have built on a successful platform and made it better.

You don't understand how games development works. Games don't get to magically include all the previous content from the previous game. BE can be the next step, but that doesn't mean it will equal or increase the amount of content.

Subjective feelings about "soul" and stuff aside, because nobody is ever going to form a majority consensus on that. Ten different people will have between seven and ten opinions :p

How should it not be a suprise? Regardless if Civ 5 has two expansion packs - BE is meant to be the next step after Civ 5 and expand on what they already developed! But instead, they have stripped away lots of the mechanics that made BNW such a fun experience. There is less to focus on and each game is very samey. The personalities of the AI are virtually indistinguishable and their combat is even worse than Civ 5 (in my opinion).

I just don't think that a game that has been released after Civ 5 should feel stripped back and have less soul to it. It should have built on a successful platform and made it better.

Funny thing. People said the same thing about Civ V!

But instead, they have stripped away lots of the mechanics that made BNW such a fun experience.

Well, BE is a completely different setting, being in the future and on an alien world. So, the game mechanics in civ5 won't necessarily apply to BE. It makes sense that BE would try to have its own game systems that will fit within its scifi setting.

Top Bottom