Beeline to samurais

Does everyone like GLH with Toku? I also find myself trying to grab it when I'm playing Toku as well since he starts with fishing and a trade route economy isn't significantly helped by many economic traits (perfect for a leader that has none). Well, financial I suppose, for working coastal tiles, but by the time your cities grow large enough to have to work coast you should be smashing your enemies with Samurai.

Well I've never played the japanese before. but my advice is that in order to beeline samurai faster, try building the oracle in sync with all the other civilizations trying to race you to Machinery/CS. Or, and this might work, try permanently allying with another player and trade different technologies to get you to the Machinery/CS path a lot quicker. Hopefully this was much help

Well I've never played the japanese before. but my advice is that in order to beeline samurai faster, try building the oracle in sync with all the other civilizations trying to race you to Machinery/CS. Or, and this might work, try permanently allying with another player and trade different technologies to get you to the Machinery/CS path a lot quicker. Hopefully this was much help

Well at immortal level, the oracle is quite a gambit. Having to research up to Priesthood means you have to bypass important worker techs. And since the Oracle is usually built around 1500 BC, you don't get very impressive techs with it... (although I recently played a game with the Inca where I got Monarchy with the Oracle, which, in that particular game, was extremely useful).

Thanks for the help anyway.

Does everyone like GLH with Toku? I also find myself trying to grab it when I'm playing Toku as well since he starts with fishing and a trade route economy isn't significantly helped by many economic traits (perfect for a leader that has none). Well, financial I suppose, for working coastal tiles, but by the time your cities grow large enough to have to work coast you should be smashing your enemies with Samurai.

My last game was a fractal game which looked like an archipelago game, so the GLH was a no brainer.

By the way, I was on an island, hence with few barbarians, had no close neighbour to rush, so I decided to run a good economy and late-rush my neighbours with the samourais...

Samurai aren't really powerful enough to warrant beelining. Trying to bulb your way to them is also probably going to cost you a tremendous amount in the early game and make you vulnerable to anyone that wants to pick you off.

While Samurai are decent, they have a hard time actually gaining an advantage because their natural counter can be had quit a bit earler (and the AI likes Machinery). Also, Trebuchets have decent enough combat odds that they are usually the more efficient initial can openers (at least on higher levels where you can expect large number of defenders), and anything can clean up after they have done their job.

They are a good unit, but not as decisive an advantage as they appear to be on paper - definitely not an automatic beeline. They do have the benefit of being a great general-purpose unit though - meaning a stack with many of them is in less danger of losing a critical defender type and being easy prey from then on.

How can you tell people are WAY better at you at something?
They talk in a language you don't understand.

Its pretty entertaining trying to figure out exactly what most of you guys are saying. :bowdown:

Top Bottom