Berserkers

I think the beserker would be a pretty decent multiplayer unit if you could upgrade it from swordsmen. Norway would still stink though, to change that you'd need to really buff the Beserker

Everything about this unit is bad. Arguing otherwise just hinders it from getting the needed buffs.

The point of this post was to show that they are not that bad as people think. And mainly people seem to think they suck, because you want to use them like Knights. But they are not Knights, using them requires you actually to think strategically a little bit. Not just smash keyboard and win.

I think y'all see the units differently because of the difference between SP and MP. There always have and always will be strategies that work in one but not the other and vice versa. I wouldn't be surprised if the things that make the berserker challenging and fun to use in SP also make it a liability against a human opponent. I haven't played VI's MP yet so I couldn't say, but it seems like it would to me. Then again perhaps some master tactician will come along and show the MP community how to unleash the true power of the berserker by winning a bunch of games with them...

I agree that making the Berserker upgradeable from the Swordsman would make it a much better unit. It would be cheaper to get and already have some great promotions when it comes around. Same for the Samurai. And I think it could do with a general attack bonus and defending at it's strength level instead if having an attack bonus and a defense penalty.

MP or SP, the Berserker sucks in both. Denmark is a joke in this game.
Denmark isn't even in the game. And if you think Norway is a joke, I'm sorry for you, since you missed one of the most fun civs to play.

And mainly people seem to think they suck, because you want to use them like Knights. But they are not Knights, using them requires you actually to think strategically a little bit. Not just smash keyboard and win.
If thoughtlessly used knights are comparable to masterfully managed berserkers, just imagine how much better masterfully managed knights are.

If thoughtlessly used knights are comparable to masterfully managed berserkers, just imagine how much better masterfully managed knights are.

This is actually something I have not thought about. I've always said that Berserkers with no embarking penalties work great, but Knights with no embarking penalties work even better. That is a fact. I think I've been too focused on Berserkers to see the full potential of no embarking penalties with Norway. Sea Knights will be like gods!

I think it would be fun if Berserkers kind of worked like the Viking unit in Starcraft 2 that can be both an air and land unit (stronger air unit than land unit). When Berserkers are embarked they turn into a Longship and when you move a Longship onto land it becomes a Berserker once Berserkers have been researched. That way you can prebuild the Longships and then do the timing attack when you hit the tech for Berserkers. To make it a little more balanced you could require that the Longships be upgraded with Gold or Faith before it becomes Berserker enabled. Maybe the name of the Longship can then change from Snekkja to Skeid to reflect this.

I think it would be fun if Berserkers kind of worked like the Viking unit in Starcraft 2 that can be both an air and land unit (stronger air unit than land unit). When Berserkers are embarked they turn into a Longship and when you move a Longship onto land it becomes a Berserker once Berserkers have been researched. That way you can prebuild the Longships and then do the timing attack when you hit the tech for Berserkers. To make it a little more balanced you could require that the Longships be upgraded with Gold or Faith before it becomes Berserker enabled. Maybe the name of the Longship can then change from Snekkja to Skeid to reflect this.

This is a great idea. I like it.

Top Bottom