1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best alternative to Civ: Fallen Enchantress or Endless Space?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aaron90495, Nov 24, 2012.

1. charon2112

charon2112 King

As of the G&K expansion, I've been pretty impressed with Civ V diplomacy also.

2. Quueg

Quueg Warlord

Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis III, Victoria II - and pretty much any other Paradox game.

3. bc1

bc1

Plus it might be argued that Paradox games have a better AI

4. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

Been eharing good things about Crusader Kings II. After I give DW's a good spin maybe I'll pick it up.

Edit: Yikes....On sale for 75% off. Just might have to pick it up on steam.

5. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

Crusader Kings II is my favorite strategy game, personally. Europa Universalis III is also great, I can't wait for EU4.

Anyway, earlier on in this thread I complained about Endless Space patching mentality. Well, I guess I'll need to eat my hat about that, as it just had two great patches that vastly improved the game.

6. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

Loving Crusader Kings II!!!!!!!!!!! Picked up Distant Worlds as well but I need to spend some more time with it to get the hang of it.

7. alysenne

alysenne Chieftain

Wow, -75% steam sale on CKII. I love Paradox games. Thanks so much for the tip!

As for the topic, I preferred Endless Space. It's a solid space 4x game. I had some complaints about it when I was playing, but I heard that many were fixed in patches.

Fallen Enchantress...It's weird. By its description, you'd think it would be so awesome, but I don't know. I couldn't get that engrossed by it. None of that 'just one more turn' feeling that you typically get from strategy games. But I do know people who really like it, so I would recommend trying it as well.

Frankly, there aren't enough good grand strategy games and when any decent one comes along, you have to play it.

8. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

CKII looks good, but I've been a little put off by the fact that it seems to be a sandbox game; I tend to prefer strategy games with defined win conditions (which is why I own but have never got round to playing EUIII).

9. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

I must say it is one of the things that makes it unique and not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. I usually like having some type of defined winning conditions and not having anything usually would bug me but CKII helps me get by with the fact they give you a score at the end so it kind of let's me compete with myself. I've yet to finish a game so I'm not sure if it saves your leaderboard or anything but it might be fun to see how high of scores I can get.

Back to the OP Fallen Enchantress is -33% on steam for $26.79. It is ALSO part of an AWESOME Stardock bundle that includes Fallen Enchantress, Demigod, Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Editions, Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, The Political Machine 2012. All 6 for $49.99

10. alysenne

alysenne Chieftain

Part of the appeal of a sandbox game is that you set the victory conditions, but I understand. It feels different when there are hardcoded victory conditions to aim for.

I can't finish most paradox games because they go on for so long. I usually play for days (probably about as long as a Civ5 game would last), then restart.

11. Canox

Canox Chieftain

I can really recommend Fallen Enchantress. Already 33hours played on Steam and still counting. Got my first win on normal and trying out new heros and stuff. I like to combo of the Might&Magic thing ("creeping", items, lvling of heroes) and the Civ part (city building, research). At least it's something refreshing and new. Waiting for the next DLC or exp for Civ5 ;)...

12. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Neither of you have played any Paradox game, it seems :p

13. Quueg

Quueg Warlord

Same here. Not sure why I can't get into Civ V (I've tried) but FE is a very nice surprise. Great fun.

14. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I have been playing Fallen Enchantress for a couple weeks now and I do really like the game, but the AI needs a lot of work. I only played 60 hours of Civ5 when it came out and have not touched in until yesterday. I decieded to get G&K and give it another shot as it was on sale and read good things. Anyway, I want to play FE more, but for now I am waiting for patches and/or expansions. I hope Stardock make some meaningful improvements to the AI and other bugs soon. The game has great potential, but with most games these days that potential may never be realized.

15. Bead

Bead Chieftain

I have gotten CKII and it has totally won me over in an unhealthy way even. Who want to try it MP?

16. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

I'm still getting all the in's and out's of the game so not sure if I'm quite ready for MP yet but if you want to exchange steam names would be willing to give it a go.

17. charon2112

charon2112 King

Bought it. It's on sale until January 14th. Definitely one of the best 4x's I've ever played.

18. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

Picked it up myself but havn't giving it much love yet due to some other games I've picked up during the X-mas sales season.

19. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

Since I like fantasy games, I picked up fallen enchantress on steam after reading this thread. In general, I like the game. There is a good feeling in the whole game, and it is like mixture of two games that I liked a lot; Age of wonders and good old Heroes 4.

20. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

yeah picked up Fallen Enchantress as well in the Strategy First pack on Steam. Also picked up Endless space. Havn't really put any time into either since been so busy during the holidays but will for sure be once I slow down. I'm kind of addicted to Blood Bowl Chaos edition right now.