Best civ for each religious victory

Founding Islam as China and switching to Mongols works and gives a sense of how much population you need to get to 50% influence. Every single city in Asia outside of Japan and Sri Lanka had Islam, with almost every city having no other religion - and that wasn't enough; still needed three cities in Europe before it finally went over

I like Arabs for islamic win. Conquer city and you have Islam in there. Don't want to capture China, just gift one city to them, use your spy to change their religion and send your missionaries

Spreading Islam to every city in China would make about a third of their population Muslim. If you own it you can persecute the cities and get nearly 100% of China's population to be Muslim

Won a paganism victory as Rome very easily. Ethiopia got orthodoxy and judaism stayed small. Plus, I had alot of cities.

Pagan URV seems quite luck based in general. Either Judaism spreads fast and it's impossible or it doesn't spread and you win by default

Last edited:
Does Judaism still displace Pagan Temples on the latest Git version?

Protestant was quite easy with England but makes me realize how hard Secular is going to be. TEN statesmen! Will probably need to generate at least eight and likely all ten on my own; not sure there's enough time, especially with how late Statesmen slots come
It is achievable. I did 9 statesmen by England in 1660, and one was Japanese. Cathedral of Zoroastrianism is a problem. The only city with this religion is Shiraz and you should have Zoroastrianism as your state religion for spreading for another three cities to build enough temples. That's why I was waiting for Cristo Redentor and only now in 1732 began to conquer Iran.

Fact that Zoroastrianism tends to disappear extremely quickly and often is a problem for other strategies for getting it spread, too. I was thinking I would do Greece -> England and spread Zoroastrianism as the Greeks and maybe settle a few scientists too but by the time I'm ready to conquer the Middle East Zoroastrianism would probably be back to just one city. Then thought of building a Zoro cathedral as China but of course conquering it would just delete the damn thing. Do they stay put after conferences? Maybe I could build one in Xianggang

Actually it is easy. You should conquer Shiraz. Switch to Zoro. Spread Zoro as state religion and it won't disappear quickly. Build Cathedral and then switch back to Secular.

I have done that as China and found that Zoroastrianism did disappear very quickly. Sometimes would last less than ten turns

All you need is just one Cathedral in Shiraz - holy city that can't lose it's religion. Build quickly 3 or better more than 3 temples - slavery or capitalism will help you

Been trying out a Greece -> Turkey path to the Secular URV. Realizing that Greece would be insanely strong for many URVs. Orthodox done, Hindu and Islamic would be very easy too. Probably both doable before the Arab spawn

Last edited:
Finally finished up Secular as England. I hate that URV so much, hate hate hate it. Only needed to generate 16 of the 20 great people myself, and would have been only 14 if I'd been able to convince France to adopt Secularism. 10 Great Statesman is a pretty weird requirement for this URV though. Artists would make more sense I think, or a higher number of scientists. Though to be honest the whole concept of a secular religious victory feels a bit crazy in the first place

Been working on a Jewish URV, but I keep losing interest. Think it should either be China (found Judaism in Luoyang) or France for the diplo bonus

About Islam's UHV

What about a 600AD start Turkey?

Moderately difficult. They just have so little time before the Euros start growing the Christian population with their colonies. You'd have to collapse Spain really quickly with not much more time left to collapse England

Last edited:
And there are now only five AI civs with any Jewish population. China game is a failure. Looking at the code, it seems like a Secular civ with one Jewish city would count. So maybe Spain is the way to do it; I could spread Judaism in the New World and then have 12 potential civs to make friendly. Still seems impossible though; 6 is a lot of civs to need to get to friendly and with most of them not counting and you needing to run an unpopular religion at the same time...

EDIT: I also think a civ with Jewish state religion would count! In that case Jewish Arabia could get Iran, Turkey, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, and Canada to have majority Jewish populations before they spawn.

Last edited:
One down; pagan as Greece. It turns out the real requirement isn't to win ten wonders, but to control ~15 cities before they get infected with Judaism
If you don't care about the spirit of the game, essentially the only requirement for Pagan as Greece is to take out Egypt. Once you have your Wonders, you can just spam settlers - it only takes one turn of construction before you're able to rush the Olympian temples.

N.B. if you're not trying to use this exploit - at no point can the majority of your cities have a religion, not just at Turn X (through building additional cities or Inquisitors). This lesson cost me many hours.

Last edited:
I entirely accidentally won Pagan Religious Victory as the Maya, which seemed to indicate to me that it was quite easy. I don't remember if that was the main DoC mod or not though.

I entirely accidentally won Pagan Religious Victory as the Maya, which seemed to indicate to me that it was quite easy. I don't remember if that was the main DoC mod or not though.
Either the updates made it more difficult, you're really lucky, or I'm really unlucky - I had to build almost all 15 temples myself.

Top Bottom