Best map type?

spherejoint

Chieftain
Exploring interesting maps is my favorite part of playing Civ. Snaky, unpredictable continents with lots of gulfs, bays, ithsmuses, straits, etc.—not the boring old, shapeless megacontinents you get from the standard configuration.

In Civ 5 I hit upon Small Continents, low sea level as my ideal map. I'm wondering if anyone has similar suggestions for Civ 6. So far with Fractal I've been getting blob continents and 50% deep arctic starts, so a little disappointed so far.

I kinda find the overall selection of map types to be a bit lacking. I'm personally really disappointed in the fact that the game does not have a terra map script. That was one of my favorites. While I can't say for sure what's the best, I can say from my experience that inland sea seems to be one of the worse.

Can already predict DLC variations (sooner than never) for whichever Map settings were previously given by Civ5 -- even via Mods or WorldBuilders are surely being considered by a lot of creative people -- at this time.

If i had a preference to share.. it's certainly a coin toss between Shuffle & Island Plates.. both of which on Small or Standard sizes.
Anything else is either a grind or somewhat less challenging under specific random conditions.

Shuffle picks any of the other maps at random -- effectively giving us a surprise setup.
Fractal applies a custom algorithm to create (highly diversified) land masses & ocean sizes while hooking to various other features like WorldAge/Erosion, Rainfall, Sea Level, Temperature & Resources.

Here's a link to a more thorough article on the subject; http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-difficulties-speeds-map-types-options

Good article, thanks. Perhaps low sea level island plates might get me what I'm looking for.

Anyone on Mac figured out how to enable debug mode to reveal map? I can't find the folder where config.ini lives.

I like Inland Sea. There's a lot of space to settle and dominance over the inland sea is also a fun thing to reach. My last few games where on Shuffle (is that what it's called?), so the random thingy. One of them was horrible, however, resulting in a very long and winding continent, that was at most 4 tiles broad...

I like Fractal; set world age to new, sea level to low and resources to abundant, then bump up the number of AI players by 1 or 2 and you're in for an interesting match!

Top Bottom