Best Millitary unit in civ2 opinion poll.

High-tech military, while efficient, is not elegant. This is why my favorite is cavalry. The ability is there to penetrate in specific, not tactical maneuvers, while still being useful weapons.

1. Switch to commie, build a zillion vet spies
2. Swith to fundy, build a zillion vet fanatics

Other than that, I like armor and howies.
Marines would be better if they had ignore walls or better attack. Ignore ZOC would be good too.

Originally posted by Andu Indorin

Well, Cavalry are certainly the best-dressed unit in Civ2.;)

Yes, but do you want elegance or efficiency?? Take a look at the real life costume, oops, I mean uniform of a Romanian Col. of Cav in the 1930s if you want the former. :scan:

Elegance was not a referrant to costuming, rather the ability to apply precise, controlled engagement to a military situation. It is pleasing to tactically maneuver the cavalry forces when engaging the enemy, as opposed to the brute force of howitzers or high tech equipment. Dependent on the objective, naturally, bomb engagement can be rather as "swatting a fly with a sledgehammer," if that idiom is proper. Also is preferred to deploy cavalry during the later stages when a more personal tactic is required. I play for continued enjoyment to seek an aesthetic balance (instead of fastest victory) which is the preferred for cavalry.

For me the early game is THE game. I like the Legion because it has the standard def of 2 and att with 4 rarely leaves it beat up like the archers. A vetrean ironclad is fun. But the best unit in civ2 has to be the paratrooper. Takes cities, jumps from continent to friendly continent with no need for airports, and can "scout" huge portions of your enemies territory.

Welcome to CFC, NorvilleB. From your other post it sounds like you have played Civ2 a bit. Hope you are prepared for some "flak"...

Thanks. I post pretty much like I play Civ: I dish it out, I can take it. (btw - the best unit really is the spy but everyone already knows that;) )

My favorite combo has to be Old-School Bomber/Armor charge. About the only foil to this plan is a good Air Defence network(never in SP though). Bombers take out hardened defenders, Armor crushes the rest. As long as you put an Armor unit in a bomber square or double up the armor, spies can only sabotage. Include spies in your attack force for espionage and anti-spy roles. Combat Enginners are important if you are roving through rough terrain or overextending your bomber range. Howitzers are useful only at that point you took to long to win.

Originally posted by broman
I agree on the howitzer, stealth fighter and spies. But is miss one vital unit i use a lot in modern warfare:

The Engineer!

They are the ones connecting the railroad systems to the enemy and building fortresses in strategic defence positions. I always make sure they can do this task in one turn so military units can cover them. For the ultimate blitzkrieg!

Oh yes. Engineers get you there and then you can have your units attack like crazy, then build a fortress to protect the surviving units from counterattack.

I think in most of my games nowadays the line of most important units throughout the ENTIRE game is as follows:

1. Howitzer (I conquer the most enemy cities with them)
2. Crusader (I conquer a lot of cities with them too :D)
3. Spy (Nuclear devices, investigate city, incite revolt etc.)
4. Engineer (Very important for the infrastructure, also during a war!)

It might be interesting (but a lot of work) to play a whole game and write down everything each specific unit has done (defended/attacked how much, how succesful etc.). Then you could really get a good impression of what is really the best unit.

nukes.

Stealth fighters, used in a democratic airpower campaign.

Spies, used in a democratic massive purchasing campaign! A spy with a sackful of gold is more deadly than even a vet stealth fighter!

Not if you're trying to take a capital.;) Stealth fighters combined with paratroopers also move a lot faster if you're trying to get cities on different islands or continents.

Originally posted by funxus
Not if you're trying to take a capital.;) Stealth fighters combined with paratroopers also move a lot faster if you're trying to get cities on different islands or continents.

Thats what howitizers are for. They have 18 vs 12 attack factors (for vets) and unlimited movement with a good RR network.

And to take an island, Stealth bombers with paras are much more deadly. :cool:

Stealth fighters do not cause unhappiness, and therefore ye can deploy a huge number of them, along with 2-3 stealth bombers from each city, and more from a city with Shakespeare's theatre. This allows you to keep the benefits of democracy whilst waging total one round war.

Top Bottom