1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best National Wonder?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CYZ, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Which National Wonder is second best (compared to the National College)?

1. Circus Maximus

16 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Hermitage

24 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Heroic Epic

9 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Ironworks

66 vote(s)
    41.3%
  5. National Epic

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. National Treasury

11 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Oxford University

17 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. I don't consider the National College to be the best National Wonder

11 vote(s)
    6.9%
  9. Other answers

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. bronzeager

bronzeager Chieftain

Went with Oxford U, though I realize it doesn't work for a lot of playstyles. I've been teching hard lately, building universities as soon as I can, so it really isn't hard to get. Plus, it doesn't really have much benefit to any specific city, so you can build it anywhere. Queue it up in some far-flung city while your core is working on something more important. Plus, the later in the game you get it, the more free beakers it gives you. Great for making that push towards the spaceship techs. And unlike a current RA, you don't have to block or anything. Just make sure you have a good tech available when it's nearing completion.

2. doctorfork

doctorfork Chieftain

Ironworks is just game-breakingly important when you can get it-particularly if you're churning out units or going for a space victory. My nuclear arsenal is almost always developed where the IronWorks is. Everything else is pleasant, but NC and IW are crucial.

3. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

You hard-build nukes? At that point in the game, you have so much money you could just buy them.

But then again, I do like Mercantilism and Big Ben.

4. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Hermitage is probably the most impactful national wonder, followed by Ironworks.

Given its early placement in the game, the National College is definitely the most critical national wonder.

5. doctorfork

doctorfork Chieftain

At the point where I'm building nukes I usually have a sizeable force that needs upgrading, and that's where all my cash goes to(that and improving recently nuked/conquered cities). That and I save my money to be able to immediately create units if the AI is able to send a swarm of units to pester me at a weak spot.