Best strategy for an average Prince player to win on Deity

MrDoubleG

Chieftain
I know the reasonable answer to this question is to become better and then rise through the ranks, but I am wondering if there is an enough OP leader and a good enough starting position and a strategy to give me at least a chance...

I know the reasonable answer to this question is to become better and then rise through the ranks, but I am wondering if there is an enough OP leader and a good enough starting position and a strategy to give me at least a chance...
Archer rush with Nubia works great. Play on a smaller map with extra civs added as well. Build order should be slinger, slinger, slinger, war, slinger, slinger, etc..... For tech go for pottery then archery. Helps a lot if you get the eurika for achery(kill a barb with a slinger). Slingers and archers should be able to easily wipe out the AI until it gets walls for its cities. If you don’t have the DLC, any leader works really, archers are that good.

you mean Animal Husbandry then Archery I assume...

What about defensive winning strategies?
Yes, my mistake.
What do you mean by defensive? A game where you don’t wage wars of agression and conquest against the AIs?

All you need, is to be aggressive early game, and yes, Nubia is just great for that.

I would not overdo on slingers right from the start though, with increased upgrade costs (60 gold for a slinger to pitati) you may just not have enough funds to upgrade them all. A scout is quite good opening build, it will help you to locate your neighbours aka future targets and pick up some goodies from the villages, or even snatch a settler or a builder at a later stage. Depending on the barb situation you can even sneak in a builder as a second build for the eurekas. If the barb situation is calm, you can even squeeze in a settler+builder, before going for slingers.

While building slingers, watch out for the available funds for the upgrades, don't overbuild them, better put in some warriors for shielding and capturing purposes. Then get to Agoge and churn out straight pitatis and... unleash hell. You'll be capturing lots of cities with districts, settlers, builders - in other words your victorious empire.

Full military, no matter how bad you are at the game, you'll always outshine the AI in that area. I basically consider any peaceful game as handicapping yourself.

With Sumeria and Skythia this is even easier.

Honestly, War Carts are ridiculously OP, and I would guess the easiest tool to do this with.

Best strategy is to probably do a duel map with Kongo as your opponent, with all victories disabled but religious victory. As long as you can survive and not get killed, you basically will automatically win.

Otherwise, yeah, an early UU rush is likely best, although if you're an average Prince player going up to Deity, even that is not a guaranteed win. I play at Immortal and the AI just comes at you with so many troops...

Best strategy is to probably do a duel map with Kongo as your opponent, with all victories disabled but religious victory. As long as you can survive and not get killed, you basically will automatically win.

Otherwise, yeah, an early UU rush is likely best, although if you're an average Prince player going up to Deity, even that is not a guaranteed win. I play at Immortal and the AI just comes at you with so many troops...
That was my idea: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-beat-deity-difficulty-with-zero-effort.600964/

I'd try Rome, that free culture really helps get key policies earlier. Build warriors for defense against barbs, research mining, bronze working and iron working, upgrade to legion and get a battering ram to take AI cities.

Archer rush is good but if you're too slow the AI gets walls at which point you need stronger units anyway.

I'd try Rome, that free culture really helps get key policies earlier. Build warriors for defense against barbs, research mining, bronze working and iron working, upgrade to legion and get a battering ram to take AI cities.

Archer rush is good but if you're too slow the AI gets walls at which point you need stronger units anyway.
Someone suggested playing as Rome and setting the game length to one turn. Since Rome has an extra building, Rome is guaranteed to win (though there's a chance Russia would win due to more land).

I think the OP is trying to win an actual game though, not cheese an achievement.

Everyone is talking about early game tactics to get more cities which is important, but after that the most important point is focusing resources (production, city state envoys, research) on your victory condition. This is how you can beat the AI at equal # of cities (although ideally you want more) despite their bonuses, since they build a lot of things they don't need.

production, city state envoys, research
So the more you replicate the AI the less chance you have... they will have more envoiys than you early and more science... their produiction can be pretty good also.
Its about what they do badly... We know they cannot fight... they also tend not to build as many districts and not settle well. While they are OK at Eurekas they are not great.
Because they have such a big advantage on deity a lot is about getting more cities to make up the difference but the other things help... and yes production is one of them.

Having around 40 hours in the game and no previous Civ experience, I would suggest that I am a noob and kind of trash at the game. But I just finished my first Deity game this morning (Standard everything, Small map with one extra AI)

I'll give you my perspective as a fellow 'prince player' of how it all falls down, and how it happened in my game:

EARLY: Aggression is key. If you are looking for the most easy way out, do as I did, and play Macedon. Macedon is just stupid. Not getting war weariness is op, and being able to forsake setting up science and culture early game because of Eurekas synergizes really stellarly with the neccessity of playing aggressively early.

You'll want to build up 2-3 slingers and another warrior and take the closest civ out ASAP. If no civs are around, then take out the closest / least useful City State. I personally built a settler in between (Prioritize horses, and then luxury resources, which you will need plenty of later.), but if there are lots of barbarians about, then you will have to squeeze out more units. You need to take out the villages asap, or they pump out an absurd amount of units.

Beeline Political Philosophy Civic

Beeline Archery, then possibly something situational, but aim to go for Horseback Riding as early as possible.
I don't know about Hyphasists. I didn't find a good window of use for them, and I didn't go for early Iron Working. BUT MAN ARE HETAROI RIDICULOUS! Rush, Hetaroi. These units provide an unprecedented powerspike for Alexander. They are essentially classical era siege units, that, with the support of a few archers, take out a city in a flicker. Go for 5-7 Hetaroi and 3-5 archers and run remove the closest / weakest civ next to you.

You should aim for around 10-12 cities @ 100-120 turns. This is a good benchmark, and the way I see it, the beginning of midgame.

MID: Now you need to play catchup. The other civs are far ahead in tech and culture. Luckily at this point you should have more cities and have a larger army. This was the point for me to start setting up campuses and commercial hubs, and beelining to Industrialization. I need to point out at this moment, that you have to understand how crucial Great People are, especially the scientists, and to some extent the engineers. Even if you are not going to science victory (you should, it's the easiest), you need to deny a few key Great Scientists from the AI, or they win the Space Race. So get busy with the Libraries and Universities. I would personally use excess gold for builders, as you will need them to increase the production of your cities, as well as popping Eurekas from key resources.

Scout with Hetaroi and position them strategically to provide vision, so that no pesky barbarian villages manage to spawn
, and to tell your AI buddies, that war will get expensive for them. You should have an encampment in 1-3 cities, so pump out units from those cities, to get Basiliskoi Paides science bonuses. But your focus should be on infrastructure and research. Once you feel ready to attack another civ, just declare war and blitz them. At this point you will need Siege weaponry and Knights.

Once you've taken out 1-2 more civs and the game seems to stabilize, I'd say its turning towards Late game. You should feel pretty confident right now.

LATE: Lategame you need to be racking up high amounts of Great Scientist points, around 150-300 science per turn. The two easiest Victory Conditions are Science and Domination. I would personally go for science, but if you mucked up, and missed the critical Space Race scientists, you have to go for Domination, and you have to go for it fast. Either way, you need to go for critical unit upgrades (tanks and artillery), and rush the civics that give you Corps and Armies (Nationalism, and then something I cant remember... Mercenary?), because otherwise you cannot compete with the AI's armies.

Choose a city with high production (atleast 40), and research nukes. You'll need nukes for two main purposes. To attack advanced AI cities with spaceport researches, which is the numero uno. There is most likely going to be atleast one Civ with an advanced space program, so just plop a few radiation farts down their way. This way you remove competition, and then you just endlessly press next turn until your space race is complete, and GG you just won the game.

If the situation for an easy Domination victory presents itself to you, just plop nukes on their capitals and then go claim them with a cavalry unit, ezpz, lemon squeezy.

I hope this helped. I finished my game on Turn 380. Which apparently isn't even decent. But hey it's a win, and I'm taking it. But I am saying this because I believe there are alot more efficient and better strategies to do this. But this was my way with a very limited experience and understanding of the game's mechanics, so maybe it will be enough straight forward for you to achieve your own first Deity victory :)

I left out alot of stuff about policy cards, trade routes, gold management (buy a bomber lategame for the nukes btw), trading with other civs etc. because I didn't want to boggle you down in the details. But ask away if you need clarification :)

Moderator Action: Edited to remove language
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the tips so far. I don't really like to go for war and domination, so any hints about winning defensively?

You don't get to be non-aggressive in the early game of Deity. If you dont play conqueror for the first 100-150 turns, you will never catch up with the AI's advantage. After that you can play Sim City.

You can win without wars but then you're definitely playing a harder game. Some Civs that have strong bonuses for non-military victories include Arabia (science/religion), Germany (science), Kongo (culture), America (culture) and Russia (culture/religion). [Brazil and Australia can also be very good, but depends on map.] Basically those Civs can get more yields from each city, which helps since good city locations are harder to find in Deity. You'll still need to rush early expansion to get 7-8 cities before the AIs take up all the good spots.

After that you need to keep a close watch on diplomacy and make sure you stay friends with your close neighbors. In the end game, you need to train and level up spies to stop the AIs space victories and slow down their cultural victories. You need some up-to-date military to dissuade AI aggression but not too much as production needs to be focused on your main victory condition. Of course none of those strategies guarantee a win, since without war sometimes there's no way to stop a runaway AI.

Top Bottom