1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Gauntlet VII

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by superslug, Mar 10, 2006.

1. pooLarized

pooLarized Chieftain

i prefer waiting a bit longer to build barracks. youre not going to have any improved land to work so my guess is that getting workers out faster is the better option here.

btw if you build extra workers in that time youve got to have like 10 by the time you hit IW? any forests left when you start training jags? :p

*update*
    1650bc conquest and theres still a few turns improvement possible. i got 2 workers from invading alexander who was right next to me, but i screwed up and didnt use them the best way.

2. Drool

Drool Chieftain

What is the best way?

I had a 500BC conquest on the cards but a few Barbarian cities ruined my change when they were in my pathway to the last Civilization

3. jesusin

jesusin Ant GOTM Staff

All I have got is 880BC so far. Playing arid lakes maps, so that laying down roads is easier.
    I am planning for a Charriot conquest next time.
    I wouldn't produce more than 3 workers, I prefer doing Warriors and then upgrading them to Jaguars.

4. pooLarized

pooLarized Chieftain

team battleground is the smallest map and conquest win on these settings its all about being able to attack your enemies as soon as possible.

chariot conquest seems tough. theyre just not good enough against archers. combo might be useful. start with jags and then when jags wont get to the destination in time switch to chairots.

i guess upgrading warriors is an option, but can you really produce 1 jag every turn? if you cant then having an extra worker would pay for itself in a few chops.

5. Crayfish

Crayfish Chieftain

I played team battleground, but it put water between my city and two of my opponents. Obviously this can't be the quickest way to win.

6. Kalleyao

Kalleyao Prince

Regenerate and you'll see that everyone's on the same continent. Also, did you choose top vs bottom and start together?

7. Ronald

Ronald Emperor

So finally my 1600 BC is beaten. Now I have to try a few games and look if I can improve the date.

What settings did you use?

8. pooLarized

pooLarized Chieftain

left vs right puts water between, top vs bottom does not. i played top vs bottom, start anywhere. does it really makes a difference if you choose start together or start anywhere? theres no teammates to start together with anyways.

no barbarians of course

9. Crayfish

Crayfish Chieftain

No barbarians? heh, I put on raging barbarians. They are 3x more likely to kill an enemy settler or unit. They sometimes attack enemy cities or draw them out of their capital to fight, leaving the capital with less defense. Who cares about your capital, just keep an eye on it every once and a while..

10. pooLarized

pooLarized Chieftain

too much of a random factor. only one of the AIs got a 2nd city up in my game and it was defended by 2 warriors so i easily took that one out. im not too worried about the capital but i dont want my units to get hurt or killed on their way to the enemy. having to worry about my workers being killed by animals is not fun either.

dont think theres enough to gain from having barbarians to justify the number of games theyre going to ruin.

11. Ronald

Ronald Emperor

I agree, no barabrians is the way to go. I have my workers chopping, the danger that one of them is destroyed by a barbarian is too high

12. Crayfish

Crayfish Chieftain

Aww, what's wrong? Don't you find those animals fuzzy and cute? :)

13. Drool

Drool Chieftain

My best so far is 1AD for conquest. Trying a Diplomatic now but already up to 1950 and have yet to build united nations.

14. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

In order to avoid confusion and complexity, I've decided to change how this Gauntlet will be ranked. There will be at most six winners, basically the top game for each victory condition. If one single player wins more than one victory condition, they'll be ranked higher in the top six. Ties will be broken by submission date.

As stated before, multiple victory condition Gauntlets will be rare if not nonexistant in the future, so this decision doesn't represent permanent HOF policy in any way. I just think it'll make it easier for this competition than the initially proposed formula.

15. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I got 2150BC with chariots on Cold Team Battleground. Tenochtitlan was built on a plains hill with horses and cattle in the city radius.

Thanks superslug. With a "distance above average" scoring system you were penalizing people for sharing the best strategy.

16. n0xie

n0xie OCC-addict

Aargh. Was playing for a cultural win with frederick and things were looking good, and the game crashed on me. I reloaded and it crashed again. Tried again, crashed again. :(

Don't think that game will be allowed IF I ever get past that crash point. It seems to crash when my city builds the UN. Cultural is really hard. Tried several times, but it's nearly impossible to get the AI to keep Free Speech long enough for his cities to reach anything near legendary. Had a bit of luck this game as Frederick stayed with Free Speech for quite some time before converting back to Bureaucracy. Long enough for the Eifel Tower to finish it off (or at least I hope so).

It's fun seeing that with a good game, you can easily win either with domination, conquest or space race, once you get a PA. Diplomatic and cultural still are quite challenging :p

17. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Why is Diplomatic challenging? You get to pick you're opponents. Simply build the UN and win the vote a few turns later. I'm looking forward to a Diplo gauntlet that actually requires diplomatic skills.

18. BlueRenner

BlueRenner Warlord

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

I mean, you could spec out the opponents, and have Caeser, Isabella, Tokugawa, Montezuma, and Alexander on an under-sized map, but beyond that...

Hm. Well, that might be all you need, frankly. You'd be all but required to eliminate one or two civs, and rally the rest under your religion. Would be interesting.

- Bill

19. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I also think something like "No tech trading" would make it harder for them to like you.

20. Drool

Drool Chieftain

Is anyone submitting a time victory?